LCD calibration targets for HD video playback (ITU Rec BT.709)

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by janos666, Jan 6, 2010.

1. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    So, I bought a GretagMacbeth Eye One Display 2 calorimeter and I want to calibrate and profile my monitor for optimized Blu-Ray movie playback.

The common standard calibration target values for LCDs are:
    WP: 6500k
    Gamma curve: 2.2
    Luminance: 120 cd/m^2

But these targets are recommended for image processing. It supposed to create a wide color gamut profile (which is, for example, can cover the AdobeRGB color space) and ensure that the colors on the display looks exactly the same as they will looks on the printed paper (of course, with a well calibrated and profiled printer and “perfect sunlight”).
    But I don’t want to work with PhotoShop, or print anything (expect black and white documents).

I searched on the internet to find some Blu-Ray/HDTV documentation (but I found only pieces because the original documents are not free. :banana:). Now, I think that these targets will be fine for HD movie playback:
    WP: D65 (not equivalent with 6500k!) - I am roughly sure about it.
    Gamma curve: sRGB - Maybe, but I am not sure.
    Luminance: min native dark and max native contrast (achievable max). - But it is only a guess.

I learned that HDTVs use the same ITU Rec BT.709 standard that is used by sRGB. They use more than one function to define the gamma curve (it deviates from the 2.2 curve on the sort start-end intervals).
    But I read somewhere else that the HDTV color gamut standard is near to the sRGB space but they are not exactly the same.
    But I can’t find any calibration software which offers me the Rec. 709 standard as a target. I can choose fixed 2.2 gamma, sRGB, or L* (perceptually linear curve) and many more.

So, the question is:
    - Which are the target values for movie studio monitors where Blu-Ray movies are edited? Or:
    - Which are the recommended target values for the end-users?
    (I think it is the same, but who knows?. They can edit the picture in a wide gamut and convert it to another at the final stage...)

Ps.: If you want to say: "Try them and choose the best looking" then you do not understand the essence of the hardware calibration. (I do not need any expensive instrument to set up something and think that it is good enough for me. I want to achieve the measure-proofed standard. :infinity:)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  3. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Thanks for the link. I posted my question there too.