best driver for gtx 260 ssc

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by tekin77, Jul 27, 2009.

1. tekin77

tekin77 Guest

GPU:
    Evga 690 gtx
    hi all

ive just upgraded my o/s to vista ultimate x64
    can any one recommend a good driver for the gtx 260 ssc
    tried some of 190's and was not inpressed
    i play games like grid and fear 2

:bang:

please help

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    im using 190.38 does fine for me

3. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    186.30 quadro driver with modded .inf is best for me atm

4. pokuly

pokuly Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti SC
    I second the 186.30. The first driver i see going down to 2D clocks here after playing Crysis and staying there if not needed. All other recent ones hung in 3D mode after playing.
    Also i find the AA looks better and not that washed out as the 190.38 but this can be imagination :)
    The 190.38 was horrible torturing my card with switching 3D and back all the time even when doing nothing or just opening a window! I can´t imagine this is healthy in the long run. So having this "Adaptive Powermanagement" is a joke so far.
    Only tiny quirk is that they don´t show up in add/remove. I used the laptopvideotogo inf.

5. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    What is this 2d clock everyone talks about and the card downclocking? every driver i have tried since i bought my GTX 260 is always at full steam if i check riva tuner or evga precision,and i have tried about 10 different drivers.Do some cards not support it? btw im using the 190.38 drivers with no problems on windows 7 RTM build.

6. pokuly

pokuly Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti SC
    This 3Dclock/2Dclock thing is a feature you shouldn´t miss if you have to pay the power bill.
    All GTX260 should support this afaik.
    I saw Gainward for example offering a Bios update for their GTX260 cards that had a faulty implementation of the mode switching and therefore always stayed on max.

7. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    I have a gainward! could you link me to the bios? my gainward is the gtx 260 216 golden sample!

I checked gpu-z and it says my bios version is 62.00.49.00.03 is this the one that has problems?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  8. pokuly

pokuly Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti SC
  9. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    Just wanted to say thanks for making me aware of this bios.Now my card goes down to 2d clocks! it was fluctuating alot from 2d to 3d but i found out that was the drivers.Installed different ones and now its working fine.

Cheers!

10. pokuly

pokuly Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti SC
    Your welcome! May i ask if it were the 190.38 that fluctated that strange at you also like i mentioned above?

11. Andyus

Andyus Active Member

GPU:
    x2 Gainward 275GTX 986mb
    anyway mate, there are not "best" for VGA, all depends system configurations,
    As you can see, for example, many people found 190.38 with very poor perfomance, system unstable, monitor problems, etc, other(like me) found better experience than previous old release, smoother games, better stability etc..so imho you must install some benchmark software (3dmark vantage, harwareOC benchtool etc) ad try some driver.

Ehm sorry for my bad english anyway =p italian here! :book:

12. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    Yeah it was the 190.38 whql drivers.I installed the 190.15 and now everything is working as it should.Now that i have flashed with the new bios i have the power management option in the control panel which i didn't have either.

Cheers

13. VERRY

VERRY Member

GPU:
    Ati HD5850
    try 190.15, best driver i think