8GB RAM with NO PAGEFILE CLUB or TOPIC (lol)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Mr.Bigtime, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Hey,

i wonder if there r people like me around who has 64bit OS with 8GB ram and using NO PAGEFILE.?

I heard enough that people say NO PAGEFILE=PROBLEM. but i experience since 2004 No PageFile(NPF). with xp i had 2GBs of ram with NPF and had no problems..played CRYSIS etc and had no problems. but in vista 4Gb and NPF = Out of virtual memory error. But 8GB NPF=PURE GAMING

As we all know accessing RAM is faster than accessing HDD which PAGE FILE is on HDD as we all know..what u say peope?

NOTE:

*indeed UR FPS WONT INCREASE.
    *ONLY LOADING TIMES and the STRESS ON HDD decreases.
    *And Iam not trying to proof anything, i just want people to hear what i EXPERIENCE.
    * And with 4GBs of ram + Vista 64 +No PF, i experienced crashes. i DONT RECOMMEND IT !
    *I dont know 6GB
    *In XP i was playing CRYSIS and so many other games without a crash with NO PAGEFILE with only 2GBs of RAM.
    *I talk according to all my experiences!
    *And In my Current PC, i cant OC due all SLOTS of rams r FULL! if i make it 4GB i can OC.

EDIT:

* With my Current new PC which is
    -I7 950 CPU
    - 6Gb DDR3 RAM

When i Disable Pagefile, it seems i run encounter problems easily. Especially running more than 80 services/programs in the background.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Mate I've had my Page File turned off for about 4 years.....

I actually started a thread on this very subject, but it ended up getting closed by Morbias due to the amount of flaming that was going on... I'll see if I can find it...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  3. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    here you go

[​IMG]

hahaha ok stupid joke xD

in any case i'll try to run without pagefile too when my new rig arrives, let's see if it's faster ^^

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Joke? I'm actually very serious.

Look at me - this is my serious face....:eyes:

The last time I used a PF was back when I had an nForce2 board and 1Gb of ram..

Ok, I found that old thread - I didn't actually start the thread but I sure closed it lolz.... coulda had a BBQ with the amount of flaming in there.

Gain OS performance by moving swap files? Thread Closed because we were naughty....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009

5. OvR|<|LL

OvR|<|LL Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Turned mine off with 2 gigs of ram in xp and have it off wth 6 gigs in vista ultimate x64. You'll be fine. Things will load allot quicker to.

6. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Like I'm using now...I can't turn it off. Tried it, didn't work out very well.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Wow man I've still got that nF2 board, it was an ABIT AN7. nF2 boards were awesome.

Throw another 1/2 to 1gb of ram in there and then you'll be able to turn your PF off if you want.

8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    oh. so iam not alone :)

people kept bashing me about NPF at past in other forums....it will cause problems they say. it wont be faster than HDD they say..they all wrong and talk without experience.

EDIT: and pillmonster..lol to ur topic..u gave a good fight as i see but some people never understand us :nerd:

9. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Why don't you guys create a virtual ramdisk drive instead, and assign that as virtual memory space? That way you won't be depriving the OS of resources that it wants, but will nevertheless enjoy the benefits of running the pagefile in physical memory.

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i didnt know that. let me google...but why do we need it? OS already fills RAM with all services and and required applications..

11. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Too bad the AthlonXP doesn't support SSE2 or I'd still be able to play all the console ports.

oT: I think the problem isn't really Windows itself but all the programs (games hehe) that want to use the pagefile when it isn't there.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well, Decane is right, you can do what he said if you wish to.

But if you've got stacks of ram like you do with plenty to spare then I don't really see the point myself.

btw I did get a bit temperamental in that thread didn't I? - must've been having a bad day lolz..

13. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    i have 3gb of ram and i tried to turn my page file off but it gave me errors and warnings ... even with mozilla when i had like 20 pages open at one time :S :S .... running vista 64 here

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You might have run outta ram? What errors did you get?

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    ofcourse with 3GB u will fail tamzid.nothing can help it... i read &G here? so atl east 6Gb but for sure 8GB..if my mobo supports i want 16GB!

16. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Dawn of War 2 requires a pagefile, as do some of my older software apps. I had my pagefile off for a while, till Dawn of War 2. Not much of an issue honestly, since Hard Drives are damn cheap anyways. I have a older 40 GB Sata drive for my pagefile, indexing and such.

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Its not about capacity. main point is SPEED. HDD never able to catch a RAMS speed.anyway..DAWN OF WAR II asks for PAGEFILE?
    and iam playing it since its out.:nerd:

18. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB

I just do not care enough about the hassle of screwing with stuff to get it to work. To me maybe 3 programs use a page file that I have on my computer. I have a spare old drive and since they are older programs(except for DOW2) it is not worth messing with. So far I have not seen any issues with DOW2 load times, if I do I may do what you suggested.

19. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    i always had more than 50% of ram free.... well i had errors like my virtual memory is too low... or once i had bsod after the warning.. don't remember exactly but that was like 1-2 years ago...

20. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    i guess so... well i always wanted to buy another 2gb of ram as i have one slot left but then again i think my next update would be to ddr3 or might be ddr4 LOLZZZZ so i hold my self back....