Anybody here use a registry defragger?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by dshramek, Mar 14, 2009.

1. dshramek

dshramek Guest

Do they actually work?
    I tried one called "Vista Manager" by Yamicsoft & it stopped my anti virus from working & wmp quit working too. I restored my system to an earlier time & it was fine(tried the program twice & it happened both times).
    Any advice on a good program? I use CCLeaner for cleaning the registry, btw.

2. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    tune up utilities maybe???

3. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    i use pc tools registry mechanic 8. has great registry cleaner and defrag

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I second that

5. 3Dghost

3Dghost Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Ed
    never had problems with vista manager.....tune up utilities are good too.
    to answer your question...as a none expert...in my opinion they won`t do much of a difference on new powerful systems...could do some good on older ones. I do these things just for a good feeling...cleaning the HD makes the difference..specialy when it`s too small. after the cleaning the system runs better on my old laptop...defragmentation of your whole HD is good too

6. dshramek

dshramek Guest

Same thing happens with tune-up utilities...I run the reg. defrag & anti-virus stops working, wmp stops loading, & I also notice flash doesn't work with steam browser.
    I think it has something to do with java, as I tried reinstalling mcafee several times & it finally gave a java error. I tried installing java runtime but still not working.
    I restored to earlier point before defrag & it is all better.
    I wonder what the derfrag is screwing with.

7. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
  8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i've used quite a few over the years. However i have never once noticed a single improvement in anything by using them. ive never seen them fix any problems, improve any performance. same with registry cleaners.
    frankly i think their both worthless, yet i still use them just in case it'll help.
    actually it would be nice if Windows would manage its registry a little cleaner

9. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I think the hives would have to be seriously fragmented to "see" any major noticeable difference, not sure about very low-end systems (say with a very slow CPU and HD).

It is just system maintenance. The hive files are after all files on disk and reading fragmented files can cause more seeking. But it is true that on today's fast systems fragmentation is less noticeable, still i see no reason not to do maintenance, as long as you don't go overboard and start causing more damaged then good. It is like with any maintenance why wait until the degradation is so pronounced you can spot it with your eye. It's like keeping your car in good shape, sure you shouldn't buy snake oil, but don't let it deteriorate either.

Personally i don't really believe to much in system optimization, as much as just system maintenance. At least the software vendors selling such optimization software greatly exaggerate the benefits of their software (for obvious reasons). NTREGOPT is more careful with it's wording. Besides it's free so he has nothing to gain from convincing you of a lie, unlike others.

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    well if NTFS was more like a few of Linux file systems like ext3, by keeping all blocks of files close together.....

but at least with SSD, you never have to defrag anything. so hopefully the price drops and larger sizes continue at a fast pace

11. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Wise Registry Cleaner

Have used it month or something like that. Here was thread about those (I think) and someone (who I trust since downloaded it) recommended it. Can't remember who it was.

No problems so far but hard to say since haven't used it long. I check my registry like once in month or so only run it few times.

CCleaner and TuneUP worked quite well also.

12. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Just so there isn't any confusion, the OP is asking for a registry defrag/compacting software, not a cleaner.

13. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Does PageDefrag defragment all registry hives?

14. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    I'll second Auslogics Registry Defrag, used it on dozens of different PCs with no ill effects :)

15. dshramek

dshramek Guest

I will try the auslogics next. I don't know why the other programs stop working properly, though.

16. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    The COMPONENTS hive seems to be missing.

Please note PageDefrag does still not support x64. I'm not even sure it fully supports Vista but i do believe it works on Vista x86. But i haven't tried it and there seem to be some reports of issue with it on Vista.

17. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Yeah, I just tried Auslogics and it seems to indeed defragment something which isn't defragmented by PageDefrag, since the analysis phase showed that my registry was about 1.7% fragmented. I figured I wouldn't bother running the defrag though, since I don't really trust Auslogics for some reason. Not worth the risk to me. But, I do use NTRegOpt to compact the registry and then PageDefrag to defrag whatever is split into 2 fragments (usually it's the Security hive).

I am on XP by the way, so no compatibility issues for me. :)

18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    auslogics software is actually pretty darn good, but if its not worth the risk to you, then i dont think its every really needed anyway. if so, MS wouldve included a simple version with the OS.

19. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    I third that!!! Tune up is the best! Works in Windows 7 mostly.

20. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    fourth that... Ttune Uo does evrerything...... except make me a cup of tea!!