9800GTX - no Audio over HDMI, please help

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by E-M@iLinAtoR, Mar 13, 2009.

1. E-M@iLinAtoR

E-M@iLinAtoR New Member

GPU:
    9800 GTX+
    9800GTX+ no Audio over HDMI, please help, the thumb-down is for NVIDIA

GPU: Sparkle 9800 GTX+ 1GB PCI-E with an actual HDMI-Connector
    Driver: ForceWare 182.08
    Cable: HDMI 1.3 to HDMI 1.3
    Connection combos:
    - directly to a JVC 46" 1080i LCD
    - Pioneer 7.1 THX AV-Receiver only
    - or routed over the Receiver to the LCD

The internal 2 Pin cable is connected to the SPDIF Out of the onBoard HD-Audio on my ASUS Commando, but I tried connecting it to another computer, too. I'm pretty sure I connect it correctly. The red cable has a "+" on the Connector, the black has nothing. So I was assuming black is ground and red is SPDIF and connectd it accordingly to the mobo or to the cinch cable from the other computer (black to shield, red to the middle here).

None of the combinations work :-( I get perfect picture thanks to FullHD but no sound at all.

When connecting my HP 8510w Notebook (has a HDMI plug on the side running vista 64) with the same HDMI cable to either LCD or Receiver everything works like a charm with sound. Same when connecting the Coax SPDIF from any of the two PCs directly to the receiver, I get blazing sound but ofc no picture.

My receiver gives no other choice than HDMI Audio if it's connected, so I must (and want to) have audio on my HDMI cable. The other alternative, connecting PC to LCD and Sound to the Receiver is not acceptable (no sound on LCD if receiver off plus no On Screen Display from the Receiver on LCD).

I tried every ForceWare driver (including beta) since the 9800gtx+ is supported, think it was like 10 driver versions starting from 175.xx
    or something. On older drivers it says, card is not supported, so i tried every version downloadable on the net.

Of course I'm aware of the fact you have to set Digital Output Device as default in the Control Panel/Sound/Audio Tab.

Since the internal cable solution doesn't need another sound related Driver, I guess the ForceWare is the only driver I had to try different versions. I even tried (senseless actually) the EDID trick, to manipulate a Driver so it detects LCD as DVI connected, disabling Sound, but since my receiver let's me no choice to Audio source other than HDMI, senseless.

Is my card broken or what am I missing here?

Is there a Vista-like option in XP, where you can choose "Supported Formats" (DD, DTS, WMA Pro and 44-96khz) in the SPDIF Properties???

Any hints? t-i-a

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  2. E-M@iLinAtoR

E-M@iLinAtoR New Member

GPU:
    9800 GTX+
    Ok, either the card is broken, or there is some trick to enable the HDMI-Audio.
    I just replaced my water cooled GTX280 in my gaming rig with the 9800gtx+ (of course connected the internal cable to my X-FI xtreme audio and it's the same crap :bang: no sound but picture. And that PC is running vista 64, not xp 32 like the other one. I even activated all supported formats in the spdif properties, since my receiver supports all, nothing.

After having so much trouble with NVIDIA, i won't buy their products in the future:
    - I'm just over the GTX280 heatbug (115°C!), the fourth RMA'ed card finally worked.
    - I had to reapply thermal paste on my NVIDIA Notebook chipset (QuadroFX 570M), to cool it down 25° just by doing that.
    - My nForce 780i-based motherboard was a hell to get clocks, which ran on full Auto on Intel P965 chipset!

A friend of mine lend me his ATI HD4850. Since I already had the 9800GTX+ out, i plugged the ATI Card in and installed the XP Driver, reboot, and 10 min later I had HDMI-Audio running, after setting "ATI HDMI-rear out" as default device! No need to connect weird, totally UNDOCUMENTED cables to the mainboard. Plug & Play

NVIDIA starts pissing me off.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    So you correctly connected the coaxial cable supplied with the GTX280 from the SPDIF header on your sound card to the plug ON the VIDEO CARD right?

4. E-M@iLinAtoR

E-M@iLinAtoR New Member

GPU:
    9800 GTX+
    Sorry for making confusion, u mean the 9800gtx, the gtx280 has no hdmi (with audio), but yes, I connected it properly.

I'm about to try, to connect ground (black) from the cable from the videocard to the spdif out on the soundcard and the red + cable to ground on the soundcard. Maybe the connector is poled wrong, it was delivered with the 9800gtx. U think I can permanently disable the HDMI-Audio by burning the card like that? :wanker:

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yes the GTX 280 does. I have one for a spare. It's the tiny two wire plug right next the the PCI-E power plugs. It's the same plug on both cards and they connect exactly the same way. Perhaps your card didn't come with the cable you have the wrong cable or you lost it.
    Here's what the cable should look like:

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of it plugged in:

[​IMG]

The GTX280 is very similar except the plug is much closer to the PCI-E connectors.

6. E-M@iLinAtoR

E-M@iLinAtoR New Member

GPU:
    9800 GTX+
    Thanks for the guidance, especially the first picture. I got the same cable with the 9800gtx and it seems to be poled correctly.

So yes, that's how I wire it up too, but why no sound. Digital output set as default in windows.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Okay. You are connected to the X-fi card right? The sound will be through the passthrough cable from your sound card through the Vid card then through the HDMI cable to your monitor. You might try setting the output to HDMI. Or you may have to use the onboard sound.

8. E-M@iLinAtoR

E-M@iLinAtoR New Member

GPU:
    9800 GTX+
    I tried with two different PCs. One has X-fi, no onboard. The other has Onboard only. No combination works, the connection is not the problem I think. I even tried using the sound from the other pc (both running) with a long wire.

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    All that two pin SPDIF cable is for is digital sound though the DVI outputs on the video card through either a DVI to HDMI cable adapter to a monitor or a DVI to HDMI cable. It's not the same signal for a receiver. So that is why it isn't working. Doesn't your X-fi have the correct outputs for connecting to a receiver?

Like this:

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/musicmovies/article.asp?articleID=60487&categoryID=14

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

11. E-M@iLinAtoR

E-M@iLinAtoR New Member

GPU:
    9800 GTX+
    The X-fi is in the other PC actually, the PC i want to use it in, has a SoundMAX HD-Audio Onboard (ASUS Commando). There it looks exactly like the second picture you posted. But the SPDIF Coaxial has no different versions for receiver or not, it's just SPDIF, like the onboard. The page u posted shows connecting receiver with multichannel, but mine has normal SPDIF input too.
    Like i said, the connection can't be the problem, i'm quite sure the card is broken. I think I will return it and try with another one, if the problem persists, I must be doing something wrong, what I can't imagine