GPU Monitor Vista Sidebar Gadget Available

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by stangowner, Feb 15, 2009.

1. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    Hi,

I created a Vista Sidebar Gadget that uses Rivatuner's low level hardware monitor for stats. I've finally released it on Microsoft's site. If your Rivatuner install is reporting back values that you would like to see in the sidebar, then install this gadget and have it easily accessible. Values will vary depending on the model card you have and its capabilities.

Values could include:
    - various core clock speeds
    - memory clock speed
    - GPU temp (as well as other misc temps)
    - fan duty and speed
    - voltage
    - GPU usage

Read the help tab in the gadget config for explicit instructions and configuration information.

Download Gadget Here

Let me know if you have any comments. This is an initial release, and I already have a few ideas for improvements. It has been tested with several cards, but not with SLI or Crossfire configs, as well as Vista 64-bit. I simply did not have access to these configs during development. I have tested it on Windows 7 32-bit beta though.

You can email me directly with comments and screen snapshots of the gadget to the email address listed in the gadget.

Enjoy!

- Nick

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Although I don't use the gadget feature thanks for making and posting !

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Really god job, making the thread sticky!

4. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    great job amigo!!!

5. neurokrem-rs

neurokrem-rs Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800 now "Ultra"
    Good job,this is a very usefull gadget!

6. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Does it have the capability to get vaules if I am using EVGA Precision? I know parts of the Rivatuner were borrowed to make EVGA precision...

7. Unwinder

Nope, sorry. EVGA Precision doesn't support that and I don't plan to integrate anything like an ability to export hardware monitoring statistics from EVGA Precision into external applications (e.g. gadgets).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  8. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Thanks for blazzing fast reply.

9. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    I love the gadget bar one thing; My graphics card doesn't support fan RPM monitoring.

I'm left with a bar named GPU Fan Duty / Speed, that can display my memory frequency 828% RPM!
    It would be nice if you could disable features you don't have/want.

I loved the help page too :D

EDIT: Using Windows 7 x64 Build 7000 no problems

10. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Agree. I don't want to remove them from hardware monitoring only from gadget.
    Otherwise is fine here on Vista64 SP1.

11. Unwinder

Agreed, that's the first thing I thought about after seeing the gadget.

stangowner

You can use RivaTuner's own GUI for that. From my POV the easiest implementation would be showing only the items having "Show in OSD" flag set in the shared memory.

12. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    I have yet to try this.I assume it shows 2 or more cards too?

13. zuppi

zuppi Member

GPU:
    8800 Ultra
    :thumbup:
    2 Core temps for Sli?

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  14. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

This gadget had VERY limited beta testing. So even though this is version 1.0 - this feedback is greatly needed. Hopefully this gadget will mature well and be flexible enough for all configs.

Agreed. I'll do some work on the bars. First, so they are not married to temp and fan. And secondly so that you can display none, or 3 of them if you choose, with whatever values you select.

I thought it was fairly explicit. But given some of the feedback I've received, either it is still too difficult or users are not reading it. :bang:

Thanks for the testing! I'm glad to hear all is OK on 64-bit.

Thanks Unwinder. But do you think users may want something different in the OSD and the gadget? Perhaps I should just let the users filter the values available for display in the gadget?

Once again, thanks for the responses. Please let me know any and all comments.

-Nick

15. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    i seem to be getting a error code 8 and a error about cant read xml data in win7 64bit.

Im really pleased to see some sort of gadget support for RT at long last but im not a big fan of the gui on it personally i would like to have seen something with the configuration ability of Multi Meters v2.10 and HWMonitor Meter as they have some excellent customisation options maybe a idea to hook up with SFkilla over at thehobbylounge. But i know this is the first version i hope to see it improve over time.

16. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Error code 8 means "Unknown failure". Not much help there.

The gadget needs to spawn a helper app to read Rivatuner's shared memory and convert it to XML for the gadget to digest. This file is installed with the gadget and located at "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\GPUMonitor.gadget\GPUMonitor.exe." The error you are receiving is because this application can not start. You can verify by looking in your task manager processes list - I'm assuming you will not see GPUMonitor.exe in the list. Can you manually start this program, and see if the gadget now displays values properly?

Providing this resolves the issue with the gadget, can you tell me if you maybe have some security measures in place that may prevent GPUMonitor.exe from starting? Like an approved applications list or something? Or perhaps your IE7 settings have been changed and are too restrictive?

Please let me know how you make out.

As far as the looks go, I'm more concerned about function at this point. I plan on adding flexibility like skins, etc.....but that won't come until after the meat of the gadget is functioning properly.......issues like your error resolved.

- Nick

17. Silpheed

Silpheed New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS (XE) 320MB
    possible to add a "maximum" mark (temperature & fan RPM mark) to the guage bar?

18. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    If I fully understand the question, you'd like to be able to look at the gadget and see that 73 degrees was the highest temp you have had - in addition to the current temp which may be only 56? A little tick or a line in the bar? Same for the peak fan RPM?

Good suggestion. I'll add it to the todo list.

- Nick

19. Silpheed

Silpheed New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS (XE) 320MB
    Yeah, the correct word is "highest". Sorry for my bad english.
    Anyway, I like your gadget. Keep it up!

20. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Ok it picked up fine running the exe from the directory. Currently all im running is Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 build 8.0.0.506(a) i noticed it placed the exe in the low level list and it seems functioning apart from that UAC set to Win7 defaults.

Closed the gadget and killed the exe via task manager and it works well now.

It seems Kaspersky blocked it as i never got any prompt about the gadget trying to run a exe file

Thanks for the help