Asus 4850 1Gb - Black screen / out of sync problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by pmurgs, Feb 5, 2009.

1. pmurgs

pmurgs Member

GPU:
    Two 5850's + 5570
    Asus EAH4850 1Gb - Black screen / out of sync problem.

I built a brand new PC for myself, but crashes when running games. Usually within a minute the screen will go blank and my monitor usually reports "out of sync". PC locks up within a few seconds after that. No entries in event viewer. Searching web with google, seems other people have had same problem, no solutions found.

Added my old X1900 Crossfire Edition card to the pc with the 4850, games still crash at the same point when using the 4850, so doesnt seem to be power issue. Games run fine on the old X1900 card with/without the 4850 in the machine. Antec 650w Trio psu should be enough.

Tried Bioshock, GTA4, F.E.A.R, eve-online, Farcry2, all crash within seconds or a couple minutes. Only Rome - Total War didn't crash, with GPU temp at max of 82 during couple hours playing. Three times have gotten "out of sync" crashes when just browsing the web after pc has been on a few hours.

I've tried the 8.5 drivers that came with the card, 8.12 and 9.1 drivers and used Driversweeper. Tried both 16X pci slots in my pc. Tried different monitor. Loaded latest Windows patches, SP3, .NET 3.5. Nothing I try seems to work.

Downclocking the 4850 memory to 900 makes most games take much longer before screen goes blank and pc crashes.

I've tried increasing my GPU fan speed all the way up to 65% and 100% in CCC, but haven't noticed any difference in noise (fan doesnt seem to get louder at all, well, not noticeably). Strangly GPU-Z program reports my GPU fan rpm as 1. Fan is visibly spinning far faster than 1rpm though. Changing fan speed in CCC doesn't seem to affect GPU temps. Case side panel has been left off all the time in attempt to keep GPU temps down.

GPU temps are at 60 degree celcius before loading a game and climb from there. Crashes seem to occur by 90 degrees and occasionally well below that.

I took the card back to the dealer, they tested it overnight, said they didnt find any problems and gave it back to me.

XP Professional 32bit SP3.
    Asus P5N-D motherboard
    Intel Q9400 Quad core cpu
    Asus EAH4850-1Gb gfx card
    4 Gb Kingston ram
    Antec TrueBlue Trio 650w psu
    3 x Sata, 2 x Ide devices.
    Gigabyte/Samsung 19" crts.

GPU-Z and CCC settings.
    [​IMG]

Any advice / help would be much appreciated as I'm starting to run out of ideas to get the card working.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. pmurgs

pmurgs Member

GPU:
    Two 5850's + 5570
    Sorted out the problem eventually. Graphics card was overheating even though it was within the supposed "safe" ranges. The "Asus Gladiator" fan solution for my EAH4850 is a pretty poor cooling system.

Solution was to replace the standard cooler on the Asus EAH4850 graphics card (the "gladiator" asus cooler) with an aftermarket one. I went for the Thermalright T-Rad2 cooler and now my load temps are lower than my old idle temps with the stock cooler. No more "out of sync" errors.

Temps with the T-Rad2:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009