Dude, I upgraded my Dell (PSU + GPU)

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Matt151b, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Time to upgrade the PSU in my Dell XPS 410 from the weak 375 W to a powerful 750 W unit from PC Power and Cooling. After I opened up the PSU I realized it might have been a smart idea to get a modular power supply because there are so many adaptors that I did not use and had to stuff into all the nooks and crannies.

[​IMG]

The Dell XPS 410 with old PSU.

[​IMG]
    Old PSU removed.

[​IMG]

Side by side, the old 375W and new 750W PC Power and Cooling.

[​IMG]
    Lots of creative cabling. Was really hard to get the cover back on.

[​IMG]
    A little gap because the old one was slightly bigger, but not longer.

[​IMG]
    All done.

First startup was BSOD. The second startup was ok.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  2. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Gtx 280

[​IMG]
    GTX 280 is bigger then my laptop.

[​IMG]
    GTX 280 vs 8800 GTS, both superclocked versions

[​IMG]
    GTX 280 wedged into a tight slot. So far, I have only tried Crysis Warhead, Far Cry 2, and F@H for 2 minutes to see if temps increased.

Warhead was playable on Enthusiast 2xAA, but it kept crashing. temps were only 60C.

Far Cry 2, maxed 4xAA was fine.

Temps got up to 80C, but it wasn't a long test because the electric squeal upset me. Not sure I like that sound. Everytime the molecule would move the squael would happen, then the molecule would pause for a fraction of a second and stop.

Not super thrilled with my GTX upgrade so far.

3. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    yea.... i don't think ANYONE should get anything other than a modular PSU no matter what they're doing with it. whether you have a cramped to sh*t case, or a case with plenty of room to spare, modular just looks more clean, and is easier to work with. can run one wire at a time, rather than having to fight to untangle one wire from all the others every time.

4. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Might want to do a little dusting there once you've got the card installed. And, good choice on units. I thought about that one before as well.

My current unit is modular but I ended up using all of the cables anyway due to the number of connectors involved with all of my drives and whatnot.

5. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    What a mess that dell is inside.Your gonna need alot more open space than that to cool your new card.And did you ever hear of compressed air?Try blowing some of that dust out.:)

6. LiquidKhaos

LiquidKhaos Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295 @ Stock
    You my friend get the "Dustiest Dell Award".

HOLY @(#*@)

Yeah compressed air works wonders bud :)

Not bad. I'm still not a fan of Dell's. I prefer to build my own stuff.

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Dell's were made by the devil, and I shall not rest until they go under!

God I love a good recession, don't you? :peeright:DELL

8. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Yeah! Does that come with any prize.

It is not that bad. I will blast with air before I put the video card award.

9. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    My case looks empty compared to that case and mines about the same size.:)

10. eueh

eueh Active Member

GPU:
    Placeholder XFX 8600GTS:(
    Hahaha! Sorry. I started cracking up when I saw the picture of the new power supply installed, cables everywhere. I have not ever seen such a cluttered environment. For the sake of your $200 GTX 280, you need to dust it out, reroute cables, hide cables behind things, make it look neat and OPEN. Maybe install more fans in the case. Those dell cases are notorious for overheating and burning out graphics cards. Only happened to my mom's computer 2 times.

Really, just set out some time and make the thing look good. I would suggest buying a new case, but maybe that is taking it too far. For now, just do your best. Don't want to deal with an RMA on an artifacting 280. Good luck.

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    only thing i can see being able to do to clear up some space is tucking a couple of the wires into the drive bays.... but he'd have to either choose which hard drive he doesn't really need in there, or find a more creative way to mount it.

i'd almost be more worried about just fitting the GTX 280 in there and being able to still close the side panel with the two PCI-Express power connectors plugged into it than the overheating alone.

12. contrvlr

contrvlr Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570HD
  13. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Yeah those cases are just way too cluttered.I have 3 times the airflow in my case and my little 9800GT still runs hot.It would be running about 70c idle in that case.:)

14. LiquidKhaos

LiquidKhaos Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295 @ Stock
    Yes. You receive a gift certificate good for a package of air.

15. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    GTX280 fit, but warhead crashed on enthusiast in less than 5 minutes. Temp was only 60. I am worried that the GTX intake is blocked by the CPU cooler.

Folding@home has micro studders the occur the same time as this high pitch squeak from the graphic card. Not sure what to do. I guess I will call EVGA...

New case is not a good option because that will cost me way too much money. I have BTX motherboard. I,d need to upgrade that too. then I,d need a new vista license, cause mine is OEM.

There really is not any room in the case. As someone said, I would have to remove HDD from the DVD bay to have room for stuffing. I would like to not do that.

16. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    This is my rig,6 year old Thermaltake and with all the space I still barely keep my 9800gt cool.:)

[​IMG]

17. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070

I bet its sucking air off the cpu cooler?

18. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Probably not much, cause it is solid plastic on two side of CPU cooler , so it a restriction. If it is sucking air, it is air that has already passed the CPU cooler and is warmer.

19. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Update: GPU pictures added to post #2

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Simple solution to your probelm.

Buy a bigger and better case. With ample cooling.