CoolIT Domino ALC review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

A single self contained water-cooling based unit that is very easy to install looks downright sexy and even performs quite adequate as well. It almost sounds to good to be true at 79 USD right CoolIT...

More...

2. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    how does this compare to a tuniq tower 120 maxed as my coolers on the way out and i need a new one so was thinking this would make a good upgrade, i dont overclock as i see it as being pointless so please comment.....

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I can't comment on coolers we have not tested. But this unit is as good as a good heatpipe solution. If you don't overclock, then I'd say go for it if you like the aesthetics better.

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    well its different to say the least.

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I like it! Simple solution that works!

6. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    Hmmm... Hilbert. I have no doubt that that cooler does its job very well. My problem with this kind of solutions has always been regarding "water vs electricity". Since I worked as a plumber when I was younger, I know perfectly that nothing endures forever in that field; I mean a "little drop of water falling down" and I can have a serious problem not only with my CPU but with other components. Therefore, it would be good to know the way to maintain this sort of coolers (e.g. how often to check that everything is OK, as I don't have a transparent case, and so on).

Really, these coolers give me the creeps. Anyway, your fantastic review took me closer to accept this type of solution to cool my CPU in the future (especially when it comes to overclocking).

BTW: Can't they use a different liquid to extract heat that has no problem with electricity? Maybe it is possible, but very expensive, right?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  7. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    i think this on a Q6600 @ 3.6ghz will do right?,have always like liquid cooling but always afraid to try.
    this will be a step to that direction

8. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    And what about an external installation of the fan chassis ? Do you think will it work ?
    I don't think I can get it properly into my case.

9. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Am pretty sure this is better then my Arctic Cooling Alpine 7, but is it really worth the price

Sure you say it's a ''top pick'' but for who exactly ? What's this aimed at ?
    Also when you say that we have to unscrew the mother board to put in a back plate, in my personnal experience, it is MUCH better to have a backplate then having some stupid push-pins

Last but not least I received a check for a tax credit of about 100$, which means this bad boy is going into my machine anyways :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  10. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    i might give this a try, i always wanted liquid cooling but always been
    afraid of leaks and such.

11. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Quite interested in this myself, not too sure about external installation. Those tubes look very short, can they be replaced by longer ones?

Was thinking i could possibly drill a couple holes through the back of my case and simply place the unit on top of my case? I presume the Db level hilbert reported was what he measured as i he said he didnt do an internal installation due to time constraint i believe it was, so its safe to assume that the Db he reported would be the same for me as i would have an external solution?

Though i dont have the QX9770 i have a Q9550 which shouldnt run as hot therefore i can keep the rpm low to mid perhaps?

Just some thoughts anyway, would love to give WC a shot :)

12. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Nice review Hilbert!! I may have to pick this up. My Zalman 9500A is a too noisy for me.

13. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT Nitro+
    Core 2 Quad QX9770 XE Load / Stress testing the CPU @ 100% load
    Arctic Freezer 68dec
    CoolIT Domino 62dec

Looks cool but performance is not that good...

14. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    i am a litle bit shocked at the "missing parameters" of the test. as with every watercooling test you should specify roomtemperature / ambient temperature, water temperature if possible and most importantly you should include every litle setting possible about the cpu voltage and other voltages.

to the test itself. i am kinda amazed that your quad is 67°C on Full load @1.6v. realy impressive :) my E8500 E0 reaches 64°C with 1.432v @4.25ghz which is the setting i run 24/7. and i have 2dual radiators internaly and 1 big badass 400x400mm radiator outside that is right now sitting outside my window in the freezing cold.

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Hmmz I wonder if I can cram 4Ghz out of my Q6600 with this, I managed to boot windows @ that speed but when testing with prime, temperatures were an issue. Noise isn't a problem for me as my current setup runs quite loud already, as long as it stays under 50db it's fine.

16. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    What's your current cooler

17. CAHop240

CAHop240 Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870X2 2048
    Nice, I found out about this on Fudzilla and Guru3d provided a very good review. $80, might try this thing out. I would like to see some other reviews comparing it to some good HSF like a TRUE or Tuniq. Air cooling still holds the "Less to worry about" crown IMO.

And Hilbert is right, i cant stop looking at that picture with it mounted...its so...so...sexy looking....

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I've been looking at this cooler for awhile and it just doesn't look that good from all the reviews i've been looking at, including this one, i know it's cheap....but i've seen it do worse then some of the top 3 air coolers for the same price

I've come to the conclusion i'm going to spend a little bit more money and get a CoolIt EL-1000 Eliminator

19. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. Figured water cooling might be better for load temps, not sure though. B3 Revision of the Q6600.

Currently running prime @62° C on 3.4Ghz and 1.4v.

20. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Very nice review. Thanks! :)

The only thing I don't like is that you have to install that backplate. Otherwise it's a very tempting unit to try out, since I never used water cooling so far...