ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Oct 25, 2008.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I figured it may be a good idea to start this thread to keep everything in one location regarding this new card.

Do we have any questions or comments regarding this new card?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. Brian_W

Brian_W New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB

Can anyone confirm that the Deluxe version with the 7.1 analog outputs will support full, non-downsampled 24-bit/192KHz Blu-Ray audio? The specs seem to indicate that the HDMI ports allow this. I need to know for sure before getting one!

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @Brian, The card is more the capable of supporting these resolutions, However currently the software downssmples to 16/48Khz. ASUS has stated they will be fixing this with a driver update so you will be able to have full resolution BD audio through analog. ASUS has been fairly diligent in patching and adding driver updates since the card was release overseas.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Thats good thing that asus will alloud non downsample 24bit/192khz blu ray audio over analog.

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes that is very good as it negates the need for a external HDMI ready receiver.
    Allowing users to watch BD in full audio and video glory on a PC a analog speaker system.

6. Razor

Razor Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti + EK Block
    I am looking to upgrade my ageing creative Audigy 2 Zs card. I have been waiting for the Auzentech HD Theatre card to arrive since the end of last year and I can not wait any longer (delays are driving me crazy).

The card will be going in my HTPC and I would like a sound card that is good for games, music, movies and Bluray HD audio.

I have an external Pioneer AX4ASi-S receiver which is about 2 years old and a 5.1 Bose AM15 speakers.

My receiver doesn't have any HD formats so I would like to pass PCM to my receiver via HDMI and let the media software (TMT) do the decoding.

Is the ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 a good card for gaming? I am a bit concerned that because it doesn't have EAX hardware it will have issues with certain games.

I am not worried about 24p as my current display doesn't support it. It does support 48p as well as 50hz and 60hz.

Also is there anything else I should know about this card before I purchase it?

ie any conflicts or known issues.

I am also wondering if HD audio is worth the extra outlay and hassle. Would I notice a big difference between full HD audio via the HDMI and normal spdif which I know is down sampled.

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Razor it has DSGX2.5 for emulation of EAX3-5 it might not be perfect but it still there along you dont mind emulation.

I been using mine for gaming and I haven really come across any issues with it while gaming.

Yes you will notice non down sample vs down sample blu ray audio if thats what your asking.

8. Razor

Razor Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti + EK Block
    Thanks for the quick reply GenClaymore. I don't mind the emulation as long as there are no issues which stop me gaming. I have been living with my old sound card for so long anything will be an improvement. In what way is it not perfect?

I was tempted by the Auzentech Prelude but the lack of HDMI has made me think twice as I want to keep the card for a good while.

I recently upgraded to a 4870X2 and tried to use the sound on the card. I was blown away with how good it sounded compared to my old card. I would of stuck with that solution but I was getting conflicts in games where the sound would drop out if I was using a 360/PC gaming pad. In the end I binned the idea.

If I will notice the difference between the full HD and down sampled HD audio then I guess I have no choice but to buy this card. :)

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Some games dont like DSGX enabled, just like some games dont like alchemy being used with the games. For Me i only came across a few games that didnt like DSGX but still it was a simple turn off of the option. Then some dont show the rest of the eax options like one with menus on picking eax ver you want to use like nwn2. But still i seen a few like that. But not really something that should bother you if you dont mind.

But theres room for improvements for it in driver updates and what not.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  10. Razor

Razor Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti + EK Block
    Ok that makes sense. If its as simple as disabling the DSGX then thats fine. :)

One last question. Marri mentioned this in his thread (now deleted). I have read that the Xonar HDAV 1.3 wont output audio via HDMI if there is no video signal present. I would rather have a direct connection to my display than going through my receiver. Is this true?

If so I guess I could use a HDMI 1 in 2 out splitter to get round this. :)

11. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Marri wrong , you can change it to HDMI within xonar control panel. To output audio out thru the HDMI. Theres a HDMi tab that you click to switch to it. and then can set it to number or speakers(PCM) and then DTS and DD live in its drop down box.

12. Razor

Razor Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti + EK Block
    Thanks for all the advice GenClaymore I have read a few other of your posts in different threads and decided to go ahead and buy one. It should be with me tomorrow. :)

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I hope you enjoy it when you get it.

14. Razor

Razor Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti + EK Block
    Cheers mate. I will post up my thoughts. :)

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I hope you bought the HDAV 1.3 Deluxe version. Even if you think you don't need the analgo surround version. It is great to have in case of future upgrades.

I have one also, so if you need any help I am sure Claymore or I can give you a hand.

Let us know what you think.

16. Razor

Razor Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti + EK Block
    Hi Rob,

Thats good to know you have this card as well. Its a good sign that I have made a decent purchase. Also thanks for the offer of help, it is much appreciated. :)

I didn't go for the deluxe version as I really don't want to use the analogue connections at all. If you saw the back of my setup there are way too many cables already. :)

I really wanted to keep everything digital and future proof a bit when I upgrade my receiver to one that supports HD audio. I really want to use the PCM from the HDMI to my amp for movies and games if possible. I also want to try out Dolby live as I have never experienced that.

I dont know if this is true but I read somewhere that I could buy the add on analogue card at a later date if I so wished. :)

17. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    GenClaymore : thanks for clearing that up :)
    ROBSCIX : thanks for deleting , btw
    what's the best PCI-E sound card u can think of... :D
    Badly need advice , sound quality wise how much would u rate the XFi Elite Pro against the Asus Xonar D2X or HDAV1.3 !

Plus , which has superior quality sound in analogue , the D2X or the HDV1.3 !

thanks in advance.. ;)

18. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The HDAV13/STX would be the best out of those 3 in pure audio quailty.

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Hdav 1.3

20. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    GenClaymore: thanks alot for clearing me on that.. your a gift ;)
    ROBSCIX: excellent , double thanks :D
    You guys are great..
    Also , do I need to connect the daughter card to a PCI-E 1x slot , will it work if I dont since I dont have the extra space in slots..
    As long as it's connected to the main sound card , it will work right , even if it's dangling..