Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX, GPGPU etc.
Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX, GPGPU etc. In this section you can discuss general purpose application that run over your GPU, like transcoding, Physics simulation etc.

8800gt physx or not ?
Old
  (#1)
Chunter
Member Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 285 in Sli
Processor: i7 920 D0 @3.2
Mainboard: EVGA X58 Sli LE
Memory: TR3X6G1600C8D
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Music
PSU: ZM750-HP
Default 8800gt physx or not ? - 09-29-2008, 10:57 | posts: 66

hi guys i'm not as rich as some of you here so i'm still only running a single card ..the 8800gt..
My question is should i enable or disable geforce physx ?
Will i lose or gain anything by having it enabled ?

Old
  (#2)
UnclePappi
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
Processor: 2500k 4.5ghz
Mainboard: Gb P67 UD4
Memory: 8gb ddr3 1600
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: 750w Seasonic X
Default 09-29-2008, 11:33 | posts: 5,077 | Location: Toledo, Oh

It depends on the game really. Even then it depends on which level in the game you are playing. Most of the time though you may lose a few frames while gaining a few physics effects. Nothing mind blowing. If you play specially made maps for physx though, you will get your fps cut in half or worse without a card dedicated to physx. That is unless you run a gtx280. Which you are not.

crysis support physx?
Old
  (#3)
Aznboy1993

Videocard: Gigabyte GV-R489OC-1GD
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 C0
Mainboard: Asus Rampage Formula
Memory: Wintec AMPX 4GB DDR2-1066
Soundcard: Asus SupremeFX II
PSU: CM Silent Pro M 1000W
Default crysis support physx? - 10-08-2008, 21:23 | posts: 9 | Location: Marietta, GA, USA

what games does physx currently support, is crysis one of them?

Old
  (#4)
duralisis

Videocard: XFX 8800GT 512MB "Alpha Dog"
Processor: AMD Opteron 180
Mainboard: Asus A8N5X (NForce 4)
Memory: 4 x 1GB GSKILL PC3200
Soundcard: SB X-Fi XG, Edifier S330D
PSU: XClio Stablepower 500W
Default 10-12-2008, 19:27 | posts: 16 | Location: Home

For some reason NVIDIA's Physx game page is showing up blank. Here's the cached version:

Physx Games List

There's nothing wrong with having an 8800GT, I still do and I'm consistently amazed at how well it performs with everything I throw at it (Crysis Warhead on High at 1920x1200, etc).

But my experience with Physx games has been that since the GPU stream processors are doing the work of both calculations AND graphics, AND your VRAM is used as well, that you lose a few frames off the top in exchange for smooth physics calculations that don't affect framerate. The load is more or less constant, so you don't have big dips as soon as physics objects come on screen.

I found this most readily apparent in UT3 and Warmonger. Even though your framerate was lower (still playable, like 50+ FPS), the physics collisions didn't seem to affect it no matter how many objects show up or collide. Usually they're the smoothest part of the game.

Old
  (#5)
Gromuhl'Djun
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX660ti
Processor: i7 3770
Mainboard: Gb GA-Z77D3H
Memory: 8GB DDR1866
Soundcard: VIA VT2021
PSU: CM M520
Default 10-19-2008, 20:29 | posts: 5,249 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnclePappi View Post
If you play specially made maps for physx though, you will get your fps cut in half or worse without a card dedicated to physx. That is unless you run a gtx280. Which you are not.
And if you disable physx, you will have only a tenth of your normal fps . (except when you turn the physx off, but then there are no advanced physics, which is the whole point of those maps :S)