Would Pirates Have Bought Crysis ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Edge Online has some quotes from Harald Seeley taken from an upcoming interview with the Engine Business Manager at Crytek about controversial remarks by Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli about the dire impact...

More...

2. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Not this again. I was going to download Crysis to play, but then I decided I was going to start a website so I figured I woudl probably need to purchase the game to post benchmarks of the game.

Hey buddy, read my lips. Your mouth and DRM drives me to download your games instead of buying them.

See, funny thing here is there are over a million of users that actually BOUGHT your game. Yet, you decide instead of providing software support by working on patches to make your game playable and fix bugs that shouldn't exist in your launch product, you stop making the patch and then make an expansion.

So, why would we be inclined to continue to buy your game, when your partially broken game WE PAYED FOR - YOU DROP SUPPORT FOR IT LESS THAN A YEAR LATER. Then on top of that, you have the odassity to try to get MORE money from us by making an expansion instead of fixing the game we already bought.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    I haven't even finished (and probably never will) war_ez version of Crysis, so no i wouldn't buy Crysis. However i do regret i haven't bought Far Cry. Maybe i will, if i find it somewhere. They don't have it anymore in the online shop where i usually buy games. :(
    There is no real suspense in Crysis as you're one mother****in' killing machine with superduper powers. I prefered the mortal guy in a red havaiian shirt...

4. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    Far Cry came with my 5700LE graphics card, but technically i bought it... ;)

About Crysis though, i pirated it, because i wanted to see what all the hype was about, and to see if it was worth diging some money out for the game, but unfortunetly, the performance and the way it was made, just put me off, i probably won't buy it, unless its in a £10 bonus pack with Warhead.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008

5. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I think mine came with my 6800 GT, which I still have laying around somewhere. Probably collecting dust with my 2900 Xt.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i actually bought crysis, but EA has turned me from a EA fanboy into a EA hater in the last couple of years. its quantity over quality for them these days. who needs patches over 500mb and in airborne's case a few GB.

7. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    It seems like all they care about now is the graphics, yes it's nice to have a cracking looking game, but where is the gameplay these days?

8. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    I pirated this game too. To see if it was worth it.
    IMO this game is nothing else then a nice tech-demo.

Not worth my time or money since it performs so badly and was/is full of bugs.

9. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I bought the game. I am with Stukov, though. No proper support for a game that runs like crap on most systems. It's no wonder that people won't by it. That and their attitude have done it for me. No more Crytek products on this machine.

10. Captain Blamo

Captain Blamo Member Guru

GPU:
    295GTX CO-OP
    I bought crysis and was disappointed in how unpolished the game was. It took a third party to come up with a configuration to actually make it playable.

For those who are not aware of the config:

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18999

I tried the TOD and its a little too hardcore so I removed it. It pretty much doubled my fps in short is purely awesome.

11. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    The reason people pirated it more than any other game is because it ran so crap, and they did not want to waste money. If they had optimised the game properly and supported with patches we would not have had this situation.

12. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Yeah, criticism, criticism, make a game like Crysis on your own before bashing others' work. You will come nowhere near 5% of what these guys did. So they deserve the money.

13. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    Nice config Captain Blamo, it might tempt me to re-install Crysis again, just to check it out.

Does anyone remember the rumours about a 7800GTX, being able to play Crysis on high graphics back in 2006/early 2007?

When the game launched, i remember seeing peeps with 8800GTX's not able to get above 10/20/25 fps... they tricked us to upgrade our PC's ;)

It's their fault the game ran like crap on every system on launch.

I think we have the right to bash them.

14. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Wow, so they are actually entitled to our money? Just because they are more talanted than we? So if I am better at something than you, does that make me entitled to your money?

15. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    That's what one of the Crysis developers or PR guys said.

16. Captain Blamo

Captain Blamo Member Guru

GPU:
    295GTX CO-OP

Dude it really works and the hundreds of custom sp/mp maps that are available are fantastic. The modders are the ones who made this game great and all props should go to them. The sp maps alone will keep you busy for hundreds of hours.

17. Andrés

Andrés Guest

I'm not going to argue on this, there are countless examples of people who had a satisfactory experience.

Of course, they are entitled to your money right from the moment you illegally download a copy of the game *they* made.

And if you make a living off your talent and sell it, you won't like if someone steals your work without putting a penny. Put yourself in their place.

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    My FarCry came with 6800 GT too (unfortunately I had to RMA it and bought the game again for 9,90€ after a while). I played it with GeForce 4 TI 4200 AGP8x because 6800 GT was broken and it ran just fine.

Warhead is going to cost 21€ at Play.com and I think that's quite reasonable price.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    And what about me ? i bought the game! dont i deserve some sort of support ?

20. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Better yet; Clear Sky goes for £18 UK pounds there. I pre-ordered it as soon as I saw. Free shipping, too :D

GSC Game World deserves the money oh, so much more than whiny, full of themselves Crytek. Not gonna get Warhead, that's for sure.