ATI HD 4850 Gaming/Driver problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Jehuty88, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Jehuty88

Jehuty88 Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4850
    Hey guys! I am having a pretty big issue for a long time regarding the HD 4850 Drivers and Playing Games.

The problem is that when I start a game such as WoW or World in Conflict I see the login/Menu Screen and then my computer flickers and I get a no signal on the monitor and having to do a restart on the computer. Everything is fine in Windows. This has happened with all of the drivers on the ATI site including the new ATI catalyst 8.8 drivers. I have tried all the previous drivers as well and have the same results. The reason I did not bother asking before was because I thought ATI was still fixing the drivers so i gave them some time but each set of new drivers that comes out does the same thing. The only Drivers that do work are the Original Drivers that came with the CD/Video Card.

I am Running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I have also done a clean install of windows with every driver install.

Please let me know if anyone has a solution or if anyone else is experiencing these types of problems as well.
    Thank you

2. Wheelchair

Wheelchair Member

GPU:
    2 XFX 4890 1GB
    Interesting! I have the same problems as you, Accept WoW runs fine for me... WiC crashes and I need to restart my PC :(

3. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    What kind of monitor are you using and how is it connected (DVI/VGA/HDMI)?

I didn't try those games yet so i can't comment on them. But all other games I tried work flawlessly.

4. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Guest

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    Well if the Original Drivers works , It Must be the newer drivers fault

I,m kinda in the same boat , Original Drivers work great in crossfire in all games but any of the newer ones gave me all kinds of trouble in crossfire ;(

My Original Drivers i believe are the 8.5 i think i tried the 8.6 and they was okay just the 8.7 and 8.8 drivers giving me H#ll

5. Jehuty88

Jehuty88 Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 4850
    Yea i think my original driver were 8.5 as well. I am using a ACER AL2216W. It is a 22 inch LCD monitor and it is connected through DVI.

I also think it has something to do with drivers because 8.6 and beyond, none of them worked. Those games are just some examples as well ive tried a bunch of other games with the same result but when i go back to 8.5 every game works flawlessly. I don't mind staying with 8.5 but i would like to try to newer drivers and at least find out a solution to this problem.

Thanks

6. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Guest

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    LOl I have the exact same Monitor and connected through the DVI also

I sent a report to AMD ATI Hope they find a fix

7. Gamergod

Gamergod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512mb
    Have you tried messing with the dvi attributes in CCC?

8. lightmaker

lightmaker Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 4850 512MB Gigabyte
    it's kinda wierd, everything works fine for me this wouldn't explain why 8.5 is working.. still maybe you'r PSU isn't supplying enough power, whats the total amps on 12V rail, or wattage ?

9. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Guest

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    On my setup new drivers work fine if i run a single card , Its only when i enable crossfire that i start having issues with Qauke 4

My psu has 60 amps on the 12V rail :p

10. Apatch

Apatch Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX1080 OC
    It's an EDID DVI problem

go here http://forums.amd.com/game/messagev...d=96981&STARTPAGE=2&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

or just search for DVI PROBLEM on amd forum and then weep that they couldn't resolve this problem after ONE YEAR !!!

There's few similar cases and few work-arounds , not everything works for people affected with this compromiting bug. Almost always VGA connected LCD works ok.

Few work-arounds

1. Using single-link DVI cable

2. Installing PowerStrip

3. Connecting DVI after system boot-up or changing DVI port.

4. Connecting second VGA LCD port to another GFX - Nvidia preffered (even old gfMX400)

5. Changing settings in CCC / Digital Panel (DVI) 3 / Attributes :

Reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution displays

Alternate DVI operational mode

CCC / Digital Panel (DVI) 3 / Avivo Color :

unchecking "Use Extended Display Identification Data (EDID)"

and few others...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008

11. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Guest

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    Thanks Apatch for the link . I shall read up on it