Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl: what a ride

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Shadowsoldier, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    In honor of STALKER CLEAR SKY, I finally went back to Shadow of Chernobyl to finally beat the game. I have to say this is one of the most incredible, first person shooters I have ever played in my life.

I loved the atmospher, I loved the gun combat, I love the enemies ( they models were really good to me), I loved the quests, I loved the anomilies ( sp?), and I certainly loved the realism with bleeding and eating.

This game is incredible....and it makes me so hyped for STALKER CLEAR SKY...

You know......only the pc can really hold that kind of story and atmosphere.

I just wanted to express this love and joy this game has given me.

I am ordering a 9800gx2 next week also in honor of CLEAR SKY and Crysis Warhead.

You know, its games like these that make me proud to be a pcgamer.

2. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Loved that game. Have no problem playing it over and over.

3. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R is the DADDY........nuff said ;)

4. jeryslo

jeryslo Member Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Me to, just finished it today the second time, the first time was great but now with HD4870 and user made mods it was even better. Can't wait for the Clear sky.

5. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    I finished it once and then reverted back to my old game prior to finishing it. I just want to keep exploring the Zone.

6. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Doesn't get enough acknowledgment I think, great originality, something that's been lacking in recent years.

I played through it with e-Dimensional glasses about a year ago which was a brill experience (scary in the underground labs). Shame my CRT blew up and nvidia stopped supporting them.

7. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB

I give praise to STALKER as well, and what the ****, e-d glasses? What exactly did that do/look like?

8. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    So you beat it and didn't tell me?

9. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    They're shutter glasses that give your eyes alternating perspective views to give depth, things really do look 3d. Not all games worked very well with them but I'd say stalker really did. Problem is you need a crt doing at least 120hz to get a good effect, forget about flat panels.

There is a monitor that you can buy (forget the company name) that does a monitor that is essentially 2 lcds with different polarity stuck on top of eachother that gets the same effect, you wear glasses that block the different polarity for each eye.

I still hold out hope for a good headset with headtracking tho, at an affordable price, it really does transform games.

10. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Well said....I agree....a great game indeed.

11. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    The atmosphere in this game, the feeling you get when you go through these creepy environments and face twisted monsters or NPCs.... You just don't really get that feeling in any other FPS. Stalker just has this uniqueness that makes it one of a kind.

12. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    I agree with all your positive comments to Stalker. This game is a true classic in my book!

13. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    You guys should try out the pitch black mods.

14. LadiesMan32

LadiesMan32 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro Crossfire
    Its good to see someone else just as excited for clear sky to come out like me! ya ive beaten stalker 3 times and it still isnt old, its one of my top fav games. But ya im upgrading just for this game too. I was running XP, then bought a 300gb velicoraptor with 64bit vista, for dx10 affects in clear sky, and if my 2 8800gt's SLI cant keep up with max settings in that game on 1920 by 1080 res, im instantly gona upgrade to 2 gtx 260s or 280s. Man in cant wait until this game comes out!! only a few more weeks!!!!

15. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    I cannot wait!!!

16. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    Stalker is my all time favorite game - after over a year of playing it I still get goose bumps when the the game loads and that haunting music starts - I was playing the first underground lab section in the dark valley last night - it still gives me the creeps with all the poltergeist activity - I've also played stalker with the oblivion lost mod which includes a lot of content that was removed form the game - with this mod you can even 'activate' artifacts to set traps....

17. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    S.t.a.l.k.e.r is endlessly replayable do to the fact you can take missions the way you want, the most amazing feature is the fact that the game will run on DX 8.0 hardware (yes thats right) yet looks decent too and the weapons are put to great use unlike other games.

certainly not a game you'd want to play for hours, just 2 hours at a time followed by a break would be best as with those sorts of games it could get very boring after a while running around a very open space in a not-so-cheerful setting aka "grim" - "dark" - "grey" :D

great game and a highlight of 2007 imo, looking forward to Clear Sky.

18. Sampson

Sampson Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 970GTX
    I would also concur with all the positive comments!

Stalker is in my top 10 fav games of all time and i ended up beating it twice. If Clear Sky is any where near as good as the original then ill be happy. The game drips with atmosphere especially the labs. I mean what other fps has like 3 monsters a whole lab yet keeps you on your toes. Plus they were all interesting and made me want to explore every nook and cranny.

AMAZING GAME!

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    It was defiantly well worth the 7 years wait for it to be released.

And I was shocked to see it fall in price to £9.99 so quickly, and then a sequel as well, just shows dreams really can come true.

20. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    if this also applies to DUKE FOREVER then i guess we're in for some hell of a good time :p