Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Games, Gaming & Game-demos
Games, Gaming & Game-demos You can talk about the latest games here and more ..


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl: what a ride
Old
  (#1)
Shadowsoldier
Maha Guru
 
Shadowsoldier's Avatar
 
Videocard: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 3.22 ghz
Mainboard: Asus
Memory: 11g DDR3 Ram @ 1666 MHZ
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs
PSU: OCZ 1000 wats
Default Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl: what a ride - 08-19-2008, 06:58 | posts: 2,567 | Location: Florida

In honor of STALKER CLEAR SKY, I finally went back to Shadow of Chernobyl to finally beat the game. I have to say this is one of the most incredible, first person shooters I have ever played in my life.

I loved the atmospher, I loved the gun combat, I love the enemies ( they models were really good to me), I loved the quests, I loved the anomilies ( sp?), and I certainly loved the realism with bleeding and eating.

This game is incredible....and it makes me so hyped for STALKER CLEAR SKY...

You know......only the pc can really hold that kind of story and atmosphere.

I just wanted to express this love and joy this game has given me.

I am ordering a 9800gx2 next week also in honor of CLEAR SKY and Crysis Warhead.

You know, its games like these that make me proud to be a pcgamer.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
Glidefan
Don Booze
 
Glidefan's Avatar
 
Videocard: HD7850 | 8600M GS
Processor: C2Q Q6600 | C2D T5550
Mainboard: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
Memory: 6144MB | 4096MB
Soundcard: Audigy 2 ZS | ALC 888
PSU: Aurora 600w | 90w AC
Default 08-19-2008, 17:08 | posts: 11,934 | Location: Solar System, Earth, Med, Cyprus

Loved that game. Have no problem playing it over and over.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
MOFO64
Banned
 
Videocard: 9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
Processor: INTEL Q6600@4GHz(445x9)
Mainboard: P5K-E-WiFi|P5N32-E-SLi +
Memory: 2GB DDR2-800 @ 1066MHz
Soundcard: 24SPKR ENVIRONMENT MOFO.1
PSU: 1850w (750w+600w+500w)
Default 08-19-2008, 17:11 | posts: 791 | Location: near EDINBURGH

S.T.A.L.K.E.R is the DADDY........nuff said
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
jeryslo
Member Guru
 
jeryslo's Avatar
 
Videocard: Intel HD4000
Processor: Core i5 3570K
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 1866MHz
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Default 08-19-2008, 19:30 | posts: 126 | Location: Slovenia

Me to, just finished it today the second time, the first time was great but now with HD4870 and user made mods it was even better. Can't wait for the Clear sky.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
ST19AG_WGreymon
Ancient Guru
 
ST19AG_WGreymon's Avatar
 
Videocard: PNY GTX770
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Pro
Memory: GSkill 16GB DDR3 2400
Soundcard: Realtek HD
PSU: Corsair AX760i
Default 08-19-2008, 19:45 | posts: 4,670 | Location: Maryland, USA

I finished it once and then reverted back to my old game prior to finishing it. I just want to keep exploring the Zone.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
AlxFitz
Maha Guru
 
AlxFitz's Avatar
 
Videocard: XFX ATI HD6950
Processor: i5-3570K
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65
Memory: 8 GB @ 1600
Soundcard: Xonar DSX
PSU: 650W Corsair
Default 08-19-2008, 19:55 | posts: 996 | Location: Herts, UK

Doesn't get enough acknowledgment I think, great originality, something that's been lacking in recent years.

I played through it with e-Dimensional glasses about a year ago which was a brill experience (scary in the underground labs). Shame my CRT blew up and nvidia stopped supporting them.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
Rumpus01
Maha Guru
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 660 TI
Processor: Core i7 920 @ 3.6
Mainboard: EVGA x58 132-BL-E758-A1
Memory: 18GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: DNX-600 (External)
PSU: Corsair 1000HX 1000W PSU
Default 08-19-2008, 20:00 | posts: 1,507 | Location: Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxFitz View Post
Doesn't get enough acknowledgment I think, great originality, something that's been lacking in recent years.

I played through it with e-Dimensional glasses about a year ago which was a brill experience (scary in the underground labs). Shame my CRT blew up and nvidia stopped supporting them.

I give praise to STALKER as well, and what the ****, e-d glasses? What exactly did that do/look like?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
pimp_gimp
Ancient Guru
 
pimp_gimp's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA Geforce GTX 680 SLI
Processor: Core i7-3770k 4.5Ghz/H220
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Premium
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Default 08-19-2008, 20:09 | posts: 5,836 | Location: Tacoma, Washington

So you beat it and didn't tell me?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
AlxFitz
Maha Guru
 
AlxFitz's Avatar
 
Videocard: XFX ATI HD6950
Processor: i5-3570K
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65
Memory: 8 GB @ 1600
Soundcard: Xonar DSX
PSU: 650W Corsair
Default 08-19-2008, 20:15 | posts: 996 | Location: Herts, UK

They're shutter glasses that give your eyes alternating perspective views to give depth, things really do look 3d. Not all games worked very well with them but I'd say stalker really did. Problem is you need a crt doing at least 120hz to get a good effect, forget about flat panels.

There is a monitor that you can buy (forget the company name) that does a monitor that is essentially 2 lcds with different polarity stuck on top of eachother that gets the same effect, you wear glasses that block the different polarity for each eye.

I still hold out hope for a good headset with headtracking tho, at an affordable price, it really does transform games.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
gridiron whirlw
Ancient Guru
 
gridiron whirlw's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 570 SLI
Processor: Intel i5-2500K
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3
Memory: 8GB G-Skill DDR 3 1600
Soundcard: MAD Ear+HD & Grado RS1i
PSU: Corsair 850 Watt
Default 08-19-2008, 21:50 | posts: 3,584 | Location: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsoldier View Post
In honor of STALKER CLEAR SKY, I finally went back to Shadow of Chernobyl to finally beat the game. I have to say this is one of the most incredible, first person shooters I have ever played in my life.

I loved the atmospher, I loved the gun combat, I love the enemies ( they models were really good to me), I loved the quests, I loved the anomilies ( sp?), and I certainly loved the realism with bleeding and eating.

This game is incredible....and it makes me so hyped for STALKER CLEAR SKY...

You know......only the pc can really hold that kind of story and atmosphere.

I just wanted to express this love and joy this game has given me.

I am ordering a 9800gx2 next week also in honor of CLEAR SKY and Crysis Warhead.

You know, its games like these that make me proud to be a pcgamer.
Well said....I agree....a great game indeed.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
Grahf
Maha Guru
 
Grahf's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI N580GTX Lightning
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K
Mainboard: ASRock P67 Extreme6
Memory: 4x2GB G.Skill DDR3 2133
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
PSU: XFX Black Edition 750W
Default 08-19-2008, 22:06 | posts: 1,817 | Location: New England, USA

The atmosphere in this game, the feeling you get when you go through these creepy environments and face twisted monsters or NPCs.... You just don't really get that feeling in any other FPS. Stalker just has this uniqueness that makes it one of a kind.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
Whiplashwang
Maha Guru
 
Whiplashwang's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 670GTX FTW+ 4GB
Processor: Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: TP67XE [B3]
Memory: 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeMusic
PSU: Corsair TX850W
Default 08-20-2008, 20:04 | posts: 1,598 | Location: Earth

I agree with all your positive comments to Stalker. This game is a true classic in my book!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
ST19AG_WGreymon
Ancient Guru
 
ST19AG_WGreymon's Avatar
 
Videocard: PNY GTX770
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Pro
Memory: GSkill 16GB DDR3 2400
Soundcard: Realtek HD
PSU: Corsair AX760i
Default 08-20-2008, 21:53 | posts: 4,670 | Location: Maryland, USA

You guys should try out the pitch black mods.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
LadiesMan32
Master Guru
 
Videocard: Evga gtx 780 ti
Processor: Intel i7 930 @ 4ghz h20
Mainboard: Asus P6T
Memory: 12gb corsair dominator
Soundcard: Creative XtremeGamer
PSU: Modular 1000w Corsair
Default 08-21-2008, 05:00 | posts: 153

Its good to see someone else just as excited for clear sky to come out like me! ya ive beaten stalker 3 times and it still isnt old, its one of my top fav games. But ya im upgrading just for this game too. I was running XP, then bought a 300gb velicoraptor with 64bit vista, for dx10 affects in clear sky, and if my 2 8800gt's SLI cant keep up with max settings in that game on 1920 by 1080 res, im instantly gona upgrade to 2 gtx 260s or 280s. Man in cant wait until this game comes out!! only a few more weeks!!!!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
Shadowsoldier
Maha Guru
 
Shadowsoldier's Avatar
 
Videocard: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 3.22 ghz
Mainboard: Asus
Memory: 11g DDR3 Ram @ 1666 MHZ
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs
PSU: OCZ 1000 wats
Default 08-21-2008, 07:33 | posts: 2,567 | Location: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan32 View Post
Its good to see someone else just as excited for clear sky to come out like me! ya ive beaten stalker 3 times and it still isnt old, its one of my top fav games. But ya im upgrading just for this game too. I was running XP, then bought a 300gb velicoraptor with 64bit vista, for dx10 affects in clear sky, and if my 2 8800gt's SLI cant keep up with max settings in that game on 1920 by 1080 res, im instantly gona upgrade to 2 gtx 260s or 280s. Man in cant wait until this game comes out!! only a few more weeks!!!!
I cannot wait!!!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
philheckler
Master Guru
 
philheckler's Avatar
 
Videocard: gtx470 SLI
Processor: i5 750 @ 3.6ghz
Mainboard: p7p55 pro
Memory: 4GB gskill ripjaws ddr3
Soundcard: asus xonar DX
PSU: Corsair hx850
Default 08-21-2008, 11:48 | posts: 775 | Location: S.WALES UK

Stalker is my all time favorite game - after over a year of playing it I still get goose bumps when the the game loads and that haunting music starts - I was playing the first underground lab section in the dark valley last night - it still gives me the creeps with all the poltergeist activity - I've also played stalker with the oblivion lost mod which includes a lot of content that was removed form the game - with this mod you can even 'activate' artifacts to set traps....
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
Year
Ancient Guru
 
Year's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 690
Processor: Intel® i7 2600
Mainboard: Asus P67 Evo
Memory: G.Skill Sniper DDR3 16GB
Soundcard: Auzentech Bravura 7.1
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850W
Default 08-21-2008, 20:13 | posts: 11,696 | Location: ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidefan View Post
Loved that game. Have no problem playing it over and over.
S.t.a.l.k.e.r is endlessly replayable do to the fact you can take missions the way you want, the most amazing feature is the fact that the game will run on DX 8.0 hardware (yes thats right) yet looks decent too and the weapons are put to great use unlike other games.

certainly not a game you'd want to play for hours, just 2 hours at a time followed by a break would be best as with those sorts of games it could get very boring after a while running around a very open space in a not-so-cheerful setting aka "grim" - "dark" - "grey"

great game and a highlight of 2007 imo, looking forward to Clear Sky.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
Sampson
Master Guru
 
Sampson's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2xeVGA 480gtx SLi
Processor: i7 2600K @ 4.6ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3
Memory: 2x4gb G.Skill DDR1866
Soundcard: X-Meridian 2G - Z5300E
PSU: Enermax Galaxy DXX 1KW
Default 08-21-2008, 20:23 | posts: 343

I would also concur with all the positive comments!

Stalker is in my top 10 fav games of all time and i ended up beating it twice. If Clear Sky is any where near as good as the original then ill be happy. The game drips with atmosphere especially the labs. I mean what other fps has like 3 monsters a whole lab yet keeps you on your toes. Plus they were all interesting and made me want to explore every nook and cranny.

AMAZING GAME!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
CPC_RedDawn
Ancient Guru
 
CPC_RedDawn's Avatar
 
Videocard: 3GB HD7970OC/2GB HD7770
Processor: 4770K@4.5GHz/Q6600@3.6GHz
Mainboard: Z87-GD65 / P5K PREMIUM
Memory: 16GB@1866MHz/4GB@1066MHz
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: 1200W/900W
Default 08-21-2008, 20:26 | posts: 5,808 | Location: Wolverhampton/United Kingdom

It was defiantly well worth the 7 years wait for it to be released.

And I was shocked to see it fall in price to £9.99 so quickly, and then a sequel as well, just shows dreams really can come true.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
Year
Ancient Guru
 
Year's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 690
Processor: Intel® i7 2600
Mainboard: Asus P67 Evo
Memory: G.Skill Sniper DDR3 16GB
Soundcard: Auzentech Bravura 7.1
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850W
Default 08-21-2008, 21:11 | posts: 11,696 | Location: ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPC_RedDawn View Post
It was defiantly well worth the 7 years wait for it to be released.
if this also applies to DUKE FOREVER then i guess we're in for some hell of a good time
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
Shadowsoldier
Maha Guru
 
Shadowsoldier's Avatar
 
Videocard: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 3.22 ghz
Mainboard: Asus
Memory: 11g DDR3 Ram @ 1666 MHZ
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs
PSU: OCZ 1000 wats
Default 08-21-2008, 21:55 | posts: 2,567 | Location: Florida

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/1...v#comments_top

I know its an old review for the game, but just tell me if you agree with what he sais.

Many points he said about STALKER I did not agree with and I just wanted to know your guys opinions.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
Stevedroid
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 680
Processor: Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
Memory: 2 x 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z
PSU: Corsair 620HX
Default 08-22-2008, 06:43 | posts: 33

Odd, I don't understand why so many people love this game.

I thought it was decent, but with several flaws that held it back from being great. The bugs and horrible translation are one thing, but I'm talking about problems with the game mechanics.

For example, I really disliked how enemies respawned every time you leave and re-enter a zone. I think by the end of the game, I had killed like 600 bandits (and that's just one faction) according to the stats. I mean that's like Serious Sam numbers, it kind of killed off any sense of realism the game had for me.

The other big one for me, is that, at least in my experience, 80% of the game was spent crouched, looking through a scope, and picking off enemies at a distance. Any attempt at more direct combat got me killed. It's basically an entire game of sniping, and it just got boring 8 hours in.

I was pretty much about to stop playing the game at that point, but what save it for me was the secret labs. Great atmosphere with those, genuinely scary, and they were a chance for more direct combat. Those parts were great, but most of the outside stuff really tried my patience.

There's a few other little things, but for me STALKER is nowhere as good as a game like Bioshock, but a lot of PC people really hate on Bioshock, so I guess I just have different tastes than most PC gamers.

Last edited by Stevedroid; 08-22-2008 at 06:46.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
Shadowsoldier
Maha Guru
 
Shadowsoldier's Avatar
 
Videocard: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 3.22 ghz
Mainboard: Asus
Memory: 11g DDR3 Ram @ 1666 MHZ
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs
PSU: OCZ 1000 wats
Default 08-22-2008, 07:40 | posts: 2,567 | Location: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedroid View Post
Odd, I don't understand why so many people love this game.

I thought it was decent, but with several flaws that held it back from being great. The bugs and horrible translation are one thing, but I'm talking about problems with the game mechanics.

For example, I really disliked how enemies respawned every time you leave and re-enter a zone. I think by the end of the game, I had killed like 600 bandits (and that's just one faction) according to the stats. I mean that's like Serious Sam numbers, it kind of killed off any sense of realism the game had for me.

The other big one for me, is that, at least in my experience, 80% of the game was spent crouched, looking through a scope, and picking off enemies at a distance. Any attempt at more direct combat got me killed. It's basically an entire game of sniping, and it just got boring 8 hours in.

I was pretty much about to stop playing the game at that point, but what save it for me was the secret labs. Great atmosphere with those, genuinely scary, and they were a chance for more direct combat. Those parts were great, but most of the outside stuff really tried my patience.

There's a few other little things, but for me STALKER is nowhere as good as a game like Bioshock, but a lot of PC people really hate on Bioshock, so I guess I just have different tastes than most PC gamers.

Well STALKER is not for most pc gamers, per say...I mean, STALKER is like playing VAMPIRE BLOODLINES..

The game has a lot of problems, but in all those problems there is a very fun game..

Don't get me wrong, STALKER has bugs....A lot of the times if I transfer into a new area, like the loading thingy, it will crash and give me a BSOD for no reason at all. Also, there are no vehicles and you have to walk a dastardly long way for a quarter of the stuff...and some of the side quests are down right boring.

But you know what, it's still one of those few games that make you think. Its one of those few games that have a sci-fi story you actually want to here.

I mean, The real Chernobyl ghost town is scary enough as it is. But ad in weird physics from the radiation, mutants, and stalkers that want the artifacts for money and start insane wars because of it. You get a game that most other games cannot deliver. The graphics in STALKER are not great by any means, but the gameplay is second to none. Vampire Bloodlines didn't use the source engine to the fullest at all, but it still was an incredible experience.

STALKER will always be in my heart. Infact it is my favorite game second to half life 1, which will always remain on the top.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
ViperXtreme
Ancient Guru
 
ViperXtreme's Avatar
 
Videocard: Palit GTX 660 OC 2GB
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4Ghz
Mainboard: ASRock Z68 Pro3-M
Memory: 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3
Soundcard: Integrated Realtek 7.1 HD
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 2 600W
Default 08-22-2008, 08:13 | posts: 2,921 | Location: Philippines

ah stalker, manage to play this on my ol 6600GT and 8600GT, but i stopped playing due to "performance" issues(it was quite fun though), will test soon how it fares on the 9600GT -_-
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
Shadowsoldier
Maha Guru
 
Shadowsoldier's Avatar
 
Videocard: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 3.22 ghz
Mainboard: Asus
Memory: 11g DDR3 Ram @ 1666 MHZ
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs
PSU: OCZ 1000 wats
Default 08-22-2008, 08:44 | posts: 2,567 | Location: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperXtreme View Post
ah stalker, manage to play this on my ol 6600GT and 8600GT, but i stopped playing due to "performance" issues(it was quite fun though), will test soon how it fares on the 9600GT -_-
The 9600gt is a great card, I doubt it would run bad.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.