ATI X1900XTX 512MB problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ginit, Jul 8, 2008.

1. ginit

ginit Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512MB Ram
    Hi guys,

System specs:
    CPU: DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2400 MHz (12 x 200) 4600+
    Mobo: Sapphire PC-A9RD580Adv (it's a crossfire xpress 3200 chipset mobo)
    RAM: 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    Gfxcard: ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512MB Ram

I've been trying to solve this problem for a while now and I can't find a solution.

That's why I'm attending to this forum, where people with more knowledge of things might help me out.

Here is my problem:

ATM I've got Omega drivers installed.

I've just played DiRT and when I want to start up CS:S the game won't launch. I double click on the CS:S icon and I get a black screen + the sound of hardware being removed and added again. And then the screen pops back to my desktop. No game gets launched, no error is displayed ... I can go online and type this very text.

The reason why it's doing this is because the res of CS:S is 640x480 and the res of DiRT is 1280x1024 (as is my desktop). I have this problem with EVERY game. Even when CS:S crashes I have this problem. So whenever I close a game and try to launch a different one, problems occur.

Another thing:
    I just tried 2 more things:
    PES2008 (res = 1280x1024) starts up fine.
    When I try my desktop resolution, it asks me to reboot to confirm settings. (the advanced settings "adjust settings without rebooting" (or something) is checked)

Let me just give you a list of what I already tried:
    For a while now I've been searching the right driver for my gfxcard.
    I've tried:
    • ATI Drivers: version 7.3, 7.12 - 8.6 even 8.7 beta
    • Omega Drivers: Radeon Omega Drivers 4.8.442 (Catalyst 7.12)
    • NGO ATI: 7.3

I've tried the latest ATI drivers (8.6), but it's the same story as with the Omega drivers, except of the sound of HW being removed and added again. It just pops black, and back to the desktop.
    When I had 8.6 installed, I uninstalled them using the special tool of ATI and afterwards used DriverCleaner to clean all ATI related files.
    Then I've installed the drivers again, but I still have the same problem.
    I tried the Catalyst 7.3 (2007) and it worked, for a while, until I got bluescreens. Steam notified me btw that this driver was out of date and could cause problems...

I've already come up with some posibilities what might be causing this:
    • The gfxcard could be semi-dead.
    • The mobo before this one (sapphire) was dead so I had to replace it with a new one. But this new one is a Crossfire xpress 3200 chipset mobo, but I've only got one card ... maybe some settings have to be changed?
    • Overheating? My card reaches 88°C when playing for example DiRT. (I looked it up and it seems to be normal.)

I've tried somany things, is there anyone PLEASE, who has got an idea/ideas what might cause this headaches :sigh:

2. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    remove your drivers, go into safe mode and clean all the junk ur drivers left into your system with driver cleaner pro, go back into normal mode and install ati ccc 8.5

Tell me if it worked

3. ginit

ginit Member

GPU:
    How do I go into safe mode? Reboot and check the startup settings?

4. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    reboot and press f8 to see your windows boot option
    choose safe mode and wait till ure on desktop, thats it:)

5. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    sounds like the fresh rate or something, or could be just the fact your monitor does not like 640x480.

Either way, reboot safe mode,driver cleaner all ati files. reboot, install newest drivers.

6. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    i wouldnt recommend that, it totally messed up my gfx card
    try the 8.5 at least those im sure they are safe

7. ginit

ginit Member

GPU:
    I'll give the reboot safe mode, driver cleaner ati-files methode a try.

Why in safe mode anyway? That way it doesn't generate more ati files?

Thx for the help guys. I'll give it a try tomorrow after work

8. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    np, also im interested on the results of the process when ure done if possible.

9. ginit

ginit Member

GPU:
    Okay,

I've rebooted in Safe Mode and removed all the ATI junk DriverCleanerPro found. But, when I search using the Windows search-tool, it still turns in 30 results who I think got to do with ATI drivers (ati2dvag.dll, atikvmag.dll, ....)

I've looked them up and all of them are located in the same folder:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\ngo_93.... (string of numbers and letters)
    I guess these files come with the default windows installation?

Anyway, now I will reboot in normal mode and install CCC 8.5 like you said. Then I'll start testing with some games. I'll give you the results from the moment something happens or, hopefully, not.

I kinda get the feeling this might just work, since DriverCleanerPro actually deleted a number of files this time. I've tried that program before but when I asked to delete ATI files, the same files turned in after I started the removal again. But then again I wasn't working in Safe mode ;)

Thx again eagun-male@hotm & xg-ei8ht, I really appreciate it :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  10. ginit

ginit Member

GPU:
    Okay, I played DiRT for a while. After I closed the game I tried to startup CS:S.

CS:S didn't start up, but gave the usual problem ... black screen followed by my desktop.

Any ideas?

11. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    first of all my apologies for my late reply im very busy trying to figure out why the hell my 90nm p4 ht 3.6ghz cpu runs at 86-88ºC when its used on max...
    secondly
    i think this might be a problem with your cpu, maybe you OC it to high?
    because valve engines use the cpu alot.
    If not, install latest dx9 see if its fixed.
    If not, see if you overclocked your gfx card to high, lower it a bit.
    If this still happens means something is broken on your system.
    If i would live near you i would surelly fix the problem easelly because guessing is a bit hard, im mainly thinking about the cpu if ur gfx card gpu dont crash when you exit the game.
    give me a reply when ure done with the tests

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  12. ginit

ginit Member

GPU:
    Hey np about the 'late' reply :)

Just as a reminder, you shouldn't be focusing on CS:S (valve engines), it happens with any game really which has got a different resolution than my desktop.

My CPU & GPU are default values. Well, atleast my CPU.

Once I tried the build in OC in CCC. (ati overdrive?) But when I was using the automatic overclock option (or something in that category) my card reached high temperatures and I switched it off.

But I think it's time to tell you the whole story ...

Before this setup, I had a different mobo & psu (and RAM too I think). The thing was, my older psu wasn't giving enough juice for my setup at that time and I think it broke my mobo and some other things as well. I had numerous problems (bluescreens, not booting ... etc) Maybe my GPU got 'infected' too?

I already checked in with DirectX before posting this thread and I have the 9.0 version. But is there a way to uninstall DirectX and install it again?

And how can I check if my gfxcard gpu crashes or not?

13. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    Try this maybe it works. Run the DNA.bat installer.

14. ginit

ginit Member

GPU:
    DNAATI87Vista.exe?

I've got WINXP? What does it do? :)

15. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    if your gfx card crashes it will start making that noise as it normally does when you turn on your pc, and a message appears saying that it needs to send the error report.
    If that doesnt happen, go and check how is your cpu doing on stress prime, put the level on max and start your test, leave it like that for 1 hour, check your temperature while youre testing too.
    Personally i would recommend to use a program with cpu massive calculations and error report but unfortunatelly i forgot its name...
    If your system crashes and youre not currently under overclock on your cpu you should take it to a store if its still in warranty, if not your cpu has no warranty ure doomed to buy a new processor :\

If cpu passes the test
    Try to use a program that tests your gfx card, atm unfortunatelly i have no recommendations since i never needed one.

Thats all i can do for you "virtually" for further i can only do them by having the pc into my front...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008

16. ginit

ginit Member

GPU:
    Okay I used the EVEREST System Stability test tool and stressed the CPU, FPU, Cache & system memory.

CPU#1 & #2 stay around 50°C (after +- 5mins stress)
    But the reading of CPU (generaly) was up and down in no time 128°c to -.... But I guess this has got something to do with there beeing no sensor of it?

Oh, btw, my gfxcard doesn't crash ... no boot-like sound or any messages ...

Now I'm going to look for a program to test my GPU.

Thx for the advice and your help!

17. ginit

ginit Member

GPU:
    I've used rthdribl which is a program that tests your GPU in real-time HDR animations.

GPU temp stayed below 85°C. Sometimes the fan of the GPU kicks in to cool it down ... but I think that's normal. The only thing I could say part of everything worked perfectly was that at some point (not remaining) there were little red&white pixels (artifacts?) to be seen.

That's all ... Is there a way to check if the RAM in my gfxCard is damaged?

Thx.

18. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    mate, you should never get those artifacts, underclock the card back to default and try again,
    About the CPU if it didnt have any sensors it would display them as N/A
    128ºC its impossible to survive, thats why youre getting crashes.
    To make sure you have a sensor and exclude the program sensor as error, do this:
    restart your pc, and when its checking your hardware press F2, now in the bios go to your hardware monitor and if the cpu temperature is displayed then it means your cpu does have temperature sensor.
    If its displayed as N/A, try and change it to the other option displayed as your cpu temperature.
    Your CPU might be at fault but remember dont let your card play like that, underclock it and try playing CSS again

19. ginit

ginit Member

GPU:
    But I never overclocked it? I mean I did, in a previous setup but I placed it back to default. In the CCC there's a tab 'ATI Overdrive' right? You can unlock your card to start overlocking right? Well, mine is locked. (because of the new mobo? dunno).

I'll have a look later tonight. BTW I also get these artifacts when I try to watch video's of any kind.

20. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    unlock the ati overdrive and put both sliders to minimum, save settings and check the preserve ati overdrive settings at logon box.
    Apply and then check if you find those artifacts again.
    If you do im afraid your graphics card is damaged.