GTX 280 overheating? - possible PCI slot fan?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DrGonzoXrTd, Jun 18, 2008.

1. DrGonzoXrTd

DrGonzoXrTd Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280
    Hey again,

I am expecting the arrival of my GTX 280 thursday and I was reading over the Guru3d review on it... It seems as the only down side to this mammoth is that it runs extremely hot. I was thinking there might be a product out there that would fit in my PCI slot (which is right next to my PCI-E slot - http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/chipsets/2008/790i-launch/790iUltra_top.jpg) That or any other suggestions to cooling the GPU? Possibly replacing the fan, or buying more fans. FYI, I'm running a Antec 900 with a extra 120mm side fan...will that be enough?

NOTE: I am planning on OCin this to its full potential so i'd like a nice stable temp, OH and no liquid cooling ( I just don't favor the idea of water anything near all my parts :wanker:)

2. Nemes1s

Nemes1s Master Guru

GPU:
    2x560Ti SLI ASUS + EVGA
    You really don't need to overclock this card dude. That's like putting another turbo into a Bugatti Veyron. No point. There is no game this thing cant rape. So why bother? :3eyes:

3. DrGonzoXrTd

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280

I personally wouldn't run it perminantly OCd, I just like to run it to see performance increase...etc But running regular I wouldn't need any extra fans / cooling?

4. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    It's not that anyone 'needs to'. It's just becouse you can;) FYI, looking over the reviews, one will see an increase in game performance (in some cases 10-20 fps more) by overclocking the 280 esp in games like Crysis.

I would opt to try and get more fresh air into the pc case it's self rather than adding a pci slot fan that will just blow more hot air on the card. I added a 120mm fan right on the side of my case where the video card was. All one has to do is cut a hole in the side, add the fan and protective grill and you will now add alot more cooler air to the card. I have a 120mm in front and at the back and the one on the side I added back in my air cooling days. Though it still provides good cooling on the mobo mosfets, chipsets and the like so I leave it going. I bought an Antec 120 with a 3 speed selectable switch so you can crank it up wile gaming and then turn it down when web surfing or watching movies ect.. Frozen CPU has the grills in any color, shape one would want. Here is a pic of how mine looks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008

5. Napster

Napster Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia GTX980Ti SLI
    You will not benefit much by using a PCI slot fan as like Rodman said it will just blow hot air onto your card. Focus on getting more cool air into your case and a external case fan blowing directly on your card. I added a 120mm fan in the front of my case to cool my 2 8800ultras as they where hitting the safe mode @ 105c but now with the external fan im getting around 80-90c on full load. Also doesn't help me having a steel case lol.

6. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Napster: Cool , you've got 3 spanking cards !!
    What do u make of the performance in Crysis , World In Conflict !!

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Thats what I said about the 7800GTX when it first came out. :p

8. DrGonzoXrTd

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280
    Thanks for the info, what case is this BTW?

In the case i've got (Antec 900) there isn't much room for extra fans. I currently have 2 120's in the front, as 120 blowing out in the back and a 200 sucking up on the top. Also I have a 120 blowing in from the side panel... There is a spot inside the case for a 120 to blow on the RAM but I figured it wouldn't be that neseccary....

9. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I seriously doubt you'll gain 10-20FPS in Crysis by overclocking the GTX 280. Also, that game is even more CPU dependant.

10. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    U could get high performance fans..
    Vantec tornado fan's..but understand this that they're loud , extremely loud , try getting a fan controller..
    Infact buying a fan controller for those is a must..
    But they'll cool ur card by about 10-15C , idle...
    Probably atleast 10-8C on load if not more..

They're handy but damn loud..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999612

Old pic but at least u'll have a clearer idea of what I'm talking about..

[​IMG]

11. Quixz

Quixz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 3080TI
    How about just increasing the GTX280's fan speed with riva tuner? It sounds to me that the card's fan has been set to low just like it was with the 8800GT to keep the noise down.