Building Acrylic Case From Scratch

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Finny, May 10, 2008.

1. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 core 216 soon
    So I signed an agreement with my parents that keeps me from buying any hardware components until Christmas. Summer is a week away and I will have very little to do when I'm not lifeguarding. My case is an old Aspire pile and I want to make an acrylic case.

Things I want are...

~ It must look freaking cool as possible, no screws, all clear.
    ~ Airflow is a MAJOR concern.
    ~ I want it inverted.
    ~ I want to fill about 8.5" wide, 19.5" tall (maybe 20 or so if I can chop at my desk), and up to 22" deep.

My concerns are...

~ Static? What problems could there be?
    ~ Does a standoff need to be connected to the PSU for grounding?
    ~ Anything else I should know about? Point out something before im in too deep...

I was thinking of staring with rectangular pieces of plexiglass for a strong frame. Then using 1/4 inch for the entire outside. I will have both sidepanels removable. Then 1/8 inch for the HDD and removable drive cages. Only two needed for each.

Is there any sketch tool I can use to blueprint the case and frame? If there isn't I spose I'll end up using paint...:(

Thanks in advance guys, I expect I will have a whole lot of feedback from you.:)

THE START!

Raw materials...
    1/4 inch panels, 1/2 inch square rods.
    [​IMG]

Rods cut to frame...
    [​IMG]

The gluing made terrible bubbles and such in the frame so I decided to frost it with 120 grit and light it up with blue LEDs later on...
    [​IMG]

I cut notches in the pieces where the mobo tray would lay on for wires to be routed under...
    [​IMG]

Here is the frame almost done but not all the way glued...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mounting of motherboard and tray...
    [​IMG]

HDD cage, will fit 4 drives...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  2. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reserved for more pics.

3. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Good luck on what sounds like a cool build.

This might come in handy:

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2008/03/14/a_modders_guide_to_acrylic/1

I've been snooping around this place, they seem to have a lot of stuff:
    http://www.delviesplastics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=DPI

I don't know much about it but just from what I've read you might be underestimating the necessary panel thickness. I'll post the sources if I can find them, but I've heard 3/8" mentioned and even 1/2" for the main structure. Though I have no idea where you can get 1/2" in anything but clear, black or white.

Edit: my bad. It was 3/8" that was the largest I'd heard, and don't know where to get in colours
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=185320

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  4. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    Really? I was thinking of bumping back down to 1/8 inch. That alone is $45 to cover.

Did you forget that I am building an entire frame with at least 3/4 inch square rods?

I think that should help alot...

I will read up some more, I won't order until Monday most likely.

5. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Oh, ok, though I don't know much I bet with a 3/4" frame it'll be rock solid. (You didn't mention the thickness of the rectangular pieces in the op.)

I haven't looked at this in awhile but, yeah, I remember being surprised at the 3/8th advice, especially since that would seem to eliminate coloured panels. (Just got my dimensions mixed up.)

Can't wait for updates. This oughta be cool!

6. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    I'm scared man, thats a lot of work, and acrylic is super expensive....:|

Hope I don't break anything...

Do you konw of any sketch tool so I can make up a blueprint?

7. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    don't blame ya, but sounds like the result would be just wicked

I've never used this design program, but I know a couple of guys have recommended it on various forums:

http://sketchup.google.com/

8. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    I got acrylic for all of the sides today.

By a fluke it was only $35 for 1/4" all the way. Now I should be able to get by with a 1/2" frame? I think I should being as I can barely bend any of the panels...

9. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Are you gonna bend with one of those plastic strip heaters? They look pretty handy. I was actually pondering getting one of the bigger stationary heaters at Delvie's. They're a bit more $$ than the strips but compared to similar heaters I've seen at other places they're pretty cheap. (Tho maybe there's a no-heater clause in your contract.)

10. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    I'm not planning on bending any of my pieces. I think that is just a little above my skill level...:)

11. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    isn't that the only thing that matters?

@finny: uh oh. Hopin it's not.... I'm in the same bending skillset boat for but was kinda hopin it's dead easy.:D

12. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    Well, I could try it, its just that I don't wanna mess up any of my expensive, already cut to size sheets.:D

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    just a thought, your probably wanting to see all your tech parts but thought i'd give some insight...something i wanted to do before, if you paint the opposite (inside) of the acrylics, on the outside it looks super shiny mirror like finish....maybe cut out a cool design to use as a template and paint around it leaving the design as the transparent part, that would look awesome.

also remember, acrylic scratches very easily!

14. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    I'm deciding on how to do the frame....

If I do a full frame all around, then glue the bottom, top, front, and back on it, then I will need to build a platform for the motherboard to be on. If I don't there will be no way to have the I/O and expansion chambers. I will also have to extend the frame to sit the back side of the PSU on. But this way will allow me to have a place behind the motherboard to put wires (I will paint the removable back plate black like xrc6 said, so it stays shiny and you won't see the wires), and it will be very very sturdy... and expensive (about $40 for enough 1/2" square rods).

Or I can glue the pieces on cube pieces of acrylic. This way I can mount the motherboard right to the back (not remoable anymore). It will also be MUCH cheaper. The downsides are no place to put wires, and it won't be as sturdy.

Any insight?

Also, where can I get power and reset switches? I also want some USB conectors for the front pannel...

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    the more expensive method sounds like you may be happier with in the long run, otherwise you may have to rethink the shape/size and design your going for.

if you want a frame...its expensive but neat nonetheless, theres the Lubic which is a series of frames you put together,you could use the acrylic outside of it

AFAIK, grounding is not really an issue, each power wire has a ground ultimatly to the PSU then through your socket. i had a mod made out of wood before and no problems, also had one where i used an old NES as the case and no issues either.

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I would go for the more expensive method.

Honestly, $40 is not really that much...

17. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    OK, I'll probably order some tonight along with some Weld on #3.

I'm about to bend a piece for the I/O so I should have the first pics up tonight.:)

18. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    Anyone have any ideas on making a toolless PCI slot?

I was thinking either setting everything back from the back panel like most cases do. Then having a bent piece of acrylic I can slide up to the metal pieces to hold it?

Or I can cut the holes in the back plate. Then I can glue a piece along where the brackets bend out. Another piece can be screwed in to sandwich those.

I'm also gonna mold new pci brackets for the back of my videocard and audiocard out of clear acrylic.:)

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  19. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    Almost everything got here today. I'm starting to cut rods to size for the frame.

Picture of everything on top.