Debug Assertion failed! DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Dorothy, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Dorothy

Dorothy Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GT/512
    Hi guys

I've searched high and low for the absolute solution to this problem. There are many suggestions and "assertions" but not a single one of them has actually CURED the problem...they are just bandaid solutions to an inground problem.
    THREE programs cause the "Debug Assertion Failed" error, popping up as part of the microsoft Visual c++ Debug Library.
    Firefox , Avast , and GRABIT newsreader ALL seem to be prone to this error and nothing but restarting the program,will stop it temporarily. It comes up completely at random citing the directory c\:program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\xtree LINE 293. Expression: map/set itterators incompatible. Then tells me to see c++ documentation and press retry to debug. In Avast,this does nothing but on the other 2 programs,they stop working correctly and i need to shutdown and reopen each program.

It's the same for each program and this directory doesn't even EXIST on my PC! I'm guessing it's referring to the directory on the PC that created the program in the first place and it's looking for that to refer to and it's not there.

This is driving me insane! NOBODY has had a direct solution to this and I'm hoping someone reads this and knows exactly what to do apart from installing updates or reinstalling windows or changing activex permissions in explorer. These are the kinds of irrelevant answers I've been getting.

PLEASE!!! Can someone help with this very COMMON problem>???? PLEASE don't ask me to post great lengths of background task lists and running prograns etc. Been there ... done that.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  2. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    What OS are you running, XP ?

1. Not sure it's related but it was asked about elsewhere in another thread but no answer was given so i have to ask. Is script debugging turned off ?

Control panel > internet options > Advanced tab

Check the boxes
    Disable script debugging internet explorer
    Disable script debugging (other)

2. Have you try reinstalling the software ?

3. Do you have, or have had, Microsoft Visual C++ runtime components installed. Maybe try install and see (oh and i have it installed because some software needs it and it does nothing "bad" or anything just so you know.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

4. Oh and you might want to give the system a good scan, search for "Best scan procedure IF a infestation is known" here.

3. Dorothy

Dorothy Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GT/512
    Thanx Animatrix

Yer all that has been tried. I even installed the latest version of visual c++ in the same directory but it had no effect. MAybe SP3 will do something.

I'll check out that list and see what might help.

TA

4. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Can you please post all of the error messages, or if they are the same confirm they are the same as the below example.
    Same thing
    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3344116.php
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...267232dec2c4&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1

----

I'm not sure what "map/set iterators incompatible" is referring to but all 3 programs do make connections to the network, so it might be related. I would look at your connection maybe just reinstall the network hardware and repair the connection, also test your security software and make sure nothing is blocking anything. If you have have an old version of Norton installed try doing a uninstall cleanup using their tool.

Edit: More of the same, again seems to be connection related.

5. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    Looks like you are missing something the registry is looking for.

I'd start there...and while id tell you to just delete any reference to that directory...that might have adverse affects on the system.

6. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    The reason you get that error is because there was a script error. The error can be because of poor scripting or because you are blocking scripts. You also have Visual Studio installed and it is setup as the default debugger.

As far as the error message, you can simply ignore it or you can change the VS settings to disable debugging.

My guess is since you seem to be having this problem in a few programs that you are infected with spyware... There is probably a bug in the spyware code (or there is an error being generated from it) and this is what is causing these other programs to show an error.

What steps are taking to ensure your computer isn't infected with spyware or viruses?

7. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I don't think the OP has VS installed, or at least it usually isn't the case, and we have no indication of it. Many people have had this error and as far as i can tell most of them never had VS installed. I have seen the assumption made before that VS must be installed on the system, but that is just not the case. Pretty much the only time i have seen this error where VS is installed on the system, it is programmers and then it is simply a error in their own code. With regards to malware i already addressed this in my post in point number 4.

In this case i don't think the error is triggered by a bug in the software but a resource it is looking for.

To figure out what is going on we can use Process monitor, make a log file and upload it. Try reproducing the error and catch it in the log, the log can get big quite fast so do what you can to trigger the error as soon as possible (with Process monitor running). You can also filter the log to only include the software that gives you the error, by right clicking the exe, e.g. firefox.exe in the log and using the Include "" function, this will only show activity from that process.

8. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Well, the error comes from the VS debugger. VS may not have to be installed for the debugger to be installed. I don't think that error can show without it... But I am not sure TBH. But I am pretty sure the IE script debugger won't show that error message so I assume it is the VS debugger (however it was installed)

And I am pretty sure this all is coming from spyware errors. I know you asked the OP, but the OP didn't say they ran anything to rule this out.

9. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    No i don't think so, as far as i know only postmortem debuggers trigger on crashes. Otherwise you usually have to attach the debugger to the process.

Assertion Failed, seems to be triggered by specified condition not holding true.

10. dukedave5200

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Yeah, not trying to argue with you at all... But if the VS debugger is set as the default debugger, it can trigger on the assertion error from just about any DLL that crashes/causes an error.

Since this error is happening in different user programs it leads me to believe the error is happen in a DLL (or a program calling a DLL), and it feels like it could be spyware, as usually windows files won't cause this error by themselves (of course that's not always the case, but 99.99% of the time it's not a windows file).

Really though, I have never had this error in my 15 years of using computers and writting software. So I am not at all familiar with this specific issue and I'm only suggesting what seems likely to me to be happening. But I could be very wrong lol... :)

11. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Right default debugger = postmortem, maybe i was unclear on that. But your right there is no argument, I'm just trying to figure out what is causing the error.

I think we should let Dorothy post back before we take this in too many directions. ;) Didn't mean to take the attention away from the problem.

12. Dorothy

Dorothy Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GT/512
    Hey guys

Thanks for all your input. I've checked out background processes with Hijack this and from memory,there was no reference to the error and YES it is exactly the same as the post further up. As I said,I've been over and over this and as one of you said,it is to do with the original programming. Script debugging in IE does not affect these programs. It's one of the first things I tried turning off and it has happened at RANDOM times. For instance,when first starting up GRABIT or in the middle of a newsgroup download session. It has happened while browsing the net at a completely random time with Firefox(I don't use IE at all) The only program that doesn't need a reload is AVAST. I click retry and it disappears.

I have the full version of AVAST,run spybot and adaware and regularly run 4 diskclean. I've run virus and spyware checks until I'm blue in the face and whilst it has found stuff,it's made absolutely no difference. This problem also occurs in VISTA as I have found in other forums on the subject so one can assume it may be a Microsoft issue that they have no idea how to fix. The only references on their knowledge base relate to programming and other similar issues. This is a relativey fresh install of XP for me and it's the exact same install as I've always used.

Other ppl with this problem have done completely new installs,only to find it still occurs no matter what and it's damned annoying. I am a professional PC Tech with many years of experience but I'm never adverse to asking for help when I'm stumped...we always learn more all the time in this game.
    So by all means ,if anyone has found something I haven't then I'd love to hear about it. If there's a solution,I'll trawl back and post it everywhere I can.

Thanks again for all your input

13. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    If there is any correlation between all the people seeing this problem then the only connection i can make between the same bug happening on different system even with fresh installs, and on both XP and Vista, is hardware. That would seem to me is the only thing that don't change in that scenario. Again i know it might sound strange but I'm still thinking it may be network related. If you have a router try bypassing it, if you can test using another network card it might be worth a go.

Otherwise again using Process monitor can give hints to what is triggering the error.

14. Dorothy

Dorothy Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GT/512
    I', really pissed off now. I've been running process monitor and now that it knows I'm watching,it's not doing it ;) hmmm quantum physics at work here.

15. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    There is your solution, just run process monitor all the time, lol ;) No I'm joking of course. That's really odd, you didn't do anything else which might have fixed it ?

This is pretty unlikely but i will mention it anyway, there might be a slim chance that process monitor is loading something it needs which is what the other software is looking for but not finding as long as process monitor is not running, for example a dll it loads. Test by running without it and see.

Using Process Explorer you might be able to do some investigation.

Use the lower pane view and set it to show dlls by pressing Ctrl+L then Ctrl+D. You have to select a process to see the dlls it loads. Compare the loaded dlls before and after. Process Explorer shows the loading and unloading of both exe's and dll's using green and red color highlighting. The highlighting duration is by default only 1 second but you can make it longer by going to Options > Difference highlighting duration and setting it to a longer duration. Green is for loading and Red is for unloading. If you set the duration long enough you should be able to catch any loading/unloading.

16. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Try an uninstall, reboot and reinstall all 3 programs ;-)
    Wait, skip avast and try antivir! Avast used to cause problems on most of my (x64-)workstations.
    My first guess would be 'old' VC++ remnants on your pc. Perhaps due to some old alpha/beta software? That could explain some of the dll debugging info.

17. chrisc_23

chrisc_23 New Member

GPU:
    Mobile Intel 945GM Expres
    I know this topic is a few months old but I came across it when searching for a solution to the exact same problem, and now that I have a solution I thought I should post it up in case anybody else gets the same problem and finds this to work...

Did a lot of searching online and noticed the mention of a program called Hide My IP as having being known to be the cause of this issue. Clicked with me cause I only just installed that last week roughly around the same time this debugging stuff started.

Basically I've now uninstalled the program entirely and I am having no problems whatsoever. Total relief as it was causing IE to fall over several times in one session. I hope this helps out anyone else who's bangin their head against a wall. Pretty simple solution!

18. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Thank you for reporting your solution chrisc_23, oh and welcome to Guru3d. :)

Well i guess that would also fit with the OPs problem at least with Firefox. Not sure about Avast and the news reader though, usually you would have to manually put in the proxy's IP into those apps, proxy software often uses a fixed IP for all communication to software (like localhost and some port). Maybe the OP was using it in those apps as well.

And the OPs error matches

19. APK

APK Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 295 GTX
    http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-interest/2004-05/thread00555-0.html

See there - SALIENT QUOTE:

----
    Hi,

I encountered the 'Debug Assertion Failed!' when using Qt\Window
    evaluation copy with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. It happens when I use
    std::string.

Program : temp.exe
    File: dbgheap.c
    Line: 1011
    Expression: _CrtIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData)

From the threads I've read is that this error occurs when there are 2
    different C Runtime libraries being used. Is there a way to work round
    this? Like is there a way to specify the correct libraries to be used?
    Or any other solutions?
    -----

NOW - QT libs used, or not, it's basically due to POSSIBLE "mixed versions" of DLL's online of the same name!

(Commonly known as "DLL HELL")

... & even though MS has:

1.) 'Side-by-side assemblies'?

2.) The ability to place .DLL's of 'oldschool type' (non OLEServer type that use GUID's to load diff. versions into RAM etc.) into the SAME FOLDER with the .exe, the FIRST PLACE an app looks by default for libs to load, UNLESS HARDCODED INTO THE APP ITSELF (this is possible/doable too (so it has the EXACT version it needs, because same name or not, sometimes the function return types change from say 1 or 0 to True or False for BOOLEAN tests, programs are NOT 'smart enough' generally to account for that)?

3.) All KINDS of rules for lib/dll loads (if you need them, I can put them out, just ask - complete set is large, & even has registry entries for it (knowndlls)???

4.) GUID (globally unique identifiers) for ActiveX &/or OLEServers (to allow even SAME NAMED ones to load into RAM shared by apps as to functions called & loaded into an app's memory spaces (libs only allow PARTS to load, the function section called, NOT ENTIRE DLL, so you know)... it's not "ALL OR NOTHING", apps just take & load the DLL section they need into their memory spaces (in process generally)...

This sometimes happens, because you have another LIB/DLL of the SAME NAME (but bearing diff. function call return types, per my boolean test example above) possibly on the system %path%, or path to lib/dll is hardcoded into .exe itself, OR lastly, the .exe folder MAY have the wrong model of lib/dll in it period.

These things may be the cause of this.

----

Again - There is an ENTIRE RULESET for the calling order of libs (registry entry KnownDLLs, %path% placement of lib, placement of lib app uses INTO SAME FOLDER WITH IT (this is generally 1st place an app looks for libs/dlls it declares (VB) or LoadLibrary (Delphi &/or C calling of them)) that MS uses in Windows!

This appears to be a "possible" in your case: MIXED LIBS versions!

APK

P.S. => Just posting another possibility here is all... Good luck to whoever had this problem, hope THIS helps (if it is not solved already)... apk

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  20. gorgias

gorgias New Member

GPU:
    hide my ip?

Hi!
    have you hide my ip installed?