| posts: 504 | Location: NOLA area
How to level one (1) router.
1. Buy router
2. Bring router home or wait until it is shipped.
3. When you get your new router in the house, put box down, and carefully use a sharp object to cut the tape holding the box flaps down and secured.
4. Carefully remove manuals, power adapter, cables and packaged router from the now open box, and remove router from its Styrofoam shell.
5. Place Styrofoam shell and any other packaging material back into box, save box in-case it needs to be returned.
6. Place router on a stable sturdy surface.
7. Plug the barrel end of the power adapter into the power socket of the router, plug the other end into your surge strip.
8. Connect one end of a cat5e cable to WAN port, connect the other end into your DSL/Cable modem.
9. Plug one end of a cat5e cable into one of the ports numbered 1 - 4 on the back of your router, plug the other end of the cat5e cable into either a NIC on a computer, or to a switch or other network equipment.
10. Get your level, preferably a torpedo level.
11. Place level on router and check for level.
12. Shim router until level
13. Settling of router may occur, re-check leveled router a couple of days later, if out of level repeat steps 10 - 12