Guru3D: GeForce 9800 GTX 512 MB - (Single & SLI) review

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    GeForce 9800 GTX 512 - (Single & SLI) review

Today is the day that NVIDIA launches it's GeForce 9800 GTX series of graphics cards. Guru3D will bring you two reviews on these products being launched today.

A respin product series aimed at the enthusiast gamer, that is what the 9800 GTX is all about. Minor tweaks, some improvement, pretty equal to GeForce 8800 GTX performance is what the 9800 GTX is all about. So what's so hot about the GeForce 9800 GTX you ask ? The price .. expect a 249-299 EUR / 299-349 USD sales price.
    As stated Guru3D brings you two reviews:
    [​IMG]

2. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Yep...being that's it's roughly equal to a 8800GTX, the only cool thing about it is the price. So if you have a 7 series or earlier, good time to take a hard look at these for buying potential.

3. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Thanks. Can't read it now but will do when I get home.

4. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    now would i be nuts to step-up to one of these cards.. i would like to actually get a card that overclocks.. (one reason i would like to)

5. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    Is only a theory but... I think nVidia is take a new path into that they are split his High end cards into SLI tecnology, that is cause lack of it.

Now we have cheap cards, that is fun, but for get high PC we are bind go to SLI tecnology.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  6. BBN

BBN Master Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X 7950 3 Way Xfire
    9900gtx is what Ill be waiting.

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I'm not sure, that at the moment, this card is a big enough jump in performance to justify the pennies.

Great review, as always.

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Performance pretty much on par with expectations and ofcourse great review.

9. RemCo

RemCo Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 512MB
    Very good reviews:)

Can we also expect a tri-sli review soon?I am really curious about that seeing that is the ''big'' advantage over the 8800GTS 512.

10. Broseybrose

Broseybrose Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    i love a source i can trust.

looks like another 8800GTX is my only upgrading option... which is fine by me... i wont be upgrading anything until nehalem.

11. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    Great review as always.

But despite the "Do not upgrade" advise I'll get one. Even overclocked my current card doesn't cut it at 1650x1080 plus massive AA/AF. The cheapest GTX I've spotted is at 274,00€ plus Neverwinter Nights 2. And I can sell my old 8800GTS so it won't cost that much.

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yup, 9800 GTX would be a downgrade, as its just a renamed 8800 GTS 512mb, what a rip off, you could scribble the 8 and the S out on your own coolers and add a 9 and an X for nowt. :D

13. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    If you want "massive" AA you might consider finding a used 8800GTX or two instead of the 9800GTX... The extra ram and bandwidth should play more of a role in those cases - even if you can overclock the hell out of the 9800GTX...

Just my opinion... I will basically be keeping my (over a year old) cards still as they are still on top in performance when it comes to my settings and resolution.

14. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    its funny how ppl are missing the point of the 9800GTX

they are taking after ATI/AMD

produce affordable high end cards then if ppl want exteme performance they would use multi-GPU solution.. i am thanking nVidia for this new way of doing business... i always hated looking to spend $300 on their "almost-kinda high end" card..

plus besides Crysis not rly any games need a boost of FPS... cheaper computer makes me happy

15. TurboPenguin

TurboPenguin Guest

Well i just submitted my Step-up program info to eVGA, considering it is only going to be 33.02 to jump to 9800GTX from 8800GTS, not too bad if you ask me!

16. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    im waiting till i have a "financial" cushion.. hehe

17. TurboPenguin

TurboPenguin Guest

Has anyone seen the Length of this card, dimensions?

18. Feninski

Feninski Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870
    well from the reviews i read it performs better than a 3870X2 in crysis and its cheaper ( here )... i think its a great card for that price

19. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    its the same length and size (and performance) as the 8800GTX according to the review.

20. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    9800GX2 - 24" Dell 2408WFP
    When does this get released? I cant beleive how cheap it is for slightly better performance than an 8800GTX!

Im going to read the SLi review and hopefully that will convince me as the single card review looked promising!