BFG 8800gt Doesn't boot

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by [HP], Nov 9, 2007.

1. [HP]

[HP] Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB
    Hi bought a BFG 8800GT OC, and it appears to simply don't work on my system.

I plugged it to the PCI-e x16, plugged the 6-pin power cable, did everything as the Install guide, and still my computer doesn't boot.
    I see all the fans rotating, including the 8800GT's fan, and I don't get any image on my monitor.

Here's my system specs:
    BRAND OF MOTHERBOARD: ASUS A8v-XE
    SYSTEM PROCESSOR TYPE & SPEED: AMD Athlon 64 x2 (Dual Core), 4600+
    SYSTEM RAM: 2gb kingston
    SYSTEM BIOS VERSION: Latest version
    PSU: LC6550 V2.0 - 550W

My thoughts are, either the graphical boards is damaged, or I don't have enough amp. on my power supply.

Here's the information on the Power Supply Sticker:
    +3.3V - 35A
    +5V - 40A
    +12V1 - 16A
    +12V2 - 18A
    -12V- 0.8A
    -5V - 0.5A
    +5VSB - 2.0A

And here is the voltages rails on PC Wizard 2008:
    Voltage CPU: 1.33 V
    +3.3 Voltage: 3.28 V
    +5 Voltage: 5.08 V
    +12 Voltage: 11.43 V

here's a link to the Power Supply Manufactor:
    http://www.lc-power.com/htm/products_detail.php?lang=2&h_id=1&u_id=2&a_id=49

Thanks in advance, I'm standing by awaiting for you're answer if I should buy a new Power Supply or not.

2. kv29

kv29 Member

GPU:
    GTX 275/896 mb
    Not enough amps.

3. eynmyn

eynmyn Master Guru

send it back while you can

its not the psu bad card even it was it would still post but give you reboot problems.most if the time black screens are bad cpu or gpu

4. [HP]

[HP] Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB
    So, you'r saying the card is damaged?

5. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Scratch that stuff one minute while I edit

Okay, It could be the PSU you have plenty of amps but on a 550w supply, you could be pulling too much juice for it to keep up. That is the wiring is good enough to give you the amps, but you got too much stuff hookedup to it for the unit to supply everything at once.

Try unhooking your optical drives (cd dvd etc), aswell as your hard disk and see if you can get the thing to post. If it posts then that means you don't have enough juice.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  6. jason_20087

jason_20087 Master Guru

GPU:
    460gtx
    wouldnt be the psu, i have a 580w psu on a e6600 overclocked and a 8800gt runs fine

7. [HP]

[HP] Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB
    Yeah, tryed it.. Didn't worked! :(

8. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    It's not the PSU, those aren't the symptoms. Your card could be DOA, sh1t happens and reports of BFG cards arriving with loose/detached/missing caps are more common than with other brands, don't ask me why because otherwise BFG has a good rep, perhaps their soldering bot or that of their supplier is not in top shape, or QC is lax. I would try the card on a different system before RMA'ing it though.

9. DeathDealer175

DeathDealer175 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX2080ti
    +12 Voltage: 11.43V

Your 12 volt looks low:knock:

10. [HP]

[HP] Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB
    Nope.. It's not the card, the card worked perfectly on a friend's computer! Wink

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I bought a new Power Supply before reading the BFG support's e-mail, saying my PSU is more than enough to handle this graphical card, waste of money on the new PSU!
    Anyways, I decided to try the graphical card on a friend of mine's computer, and It works perfectly!
    The graphical card Isn't damaged at all, it appears to be my motherboard, some sort of incompatibility I guess? It's weird though, I have a ASUS A8V-XE, and It's perfectly compatible with nowadays graphical boards!

Do you know of any compatibility issues on this mother board with BFG products?

PS. I forgot to say my computer gives me an error post signal when booting up: One long beep, followed by 3 short beeps.

11. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    1 Long, 3 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter or memory

Could not be intializing the 8800GT though does require 20A on the rail though

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  12. [HP]

[HP] Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB
    Like I said earlier, I bought a very expensive PSU, just to make sure, and still doesn't work...

13. mk_ln

mk_ln Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX280@700/1400/2600
    perhaps it is the PCI-e slot itself that is malfunctioning.

14. The Fallen

The Fallen Maha Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    Is your GT fan spinning at full speed? It will sound really loud like a small vacuum cleaner

15. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    It could be your facing what the Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA users are running into. Their Motherboards are incompatible with the 8800GT because they can't interpret the PCI-E 2.0 signature of the 8800GT card. There's another thread around here where users were posting which motherboards worked and which didn't and it looks like it's been knocked off the first page of threads. So far there is a Biostar on that list and also saw an Asus board on hardforum with the same issue. Perhaps you could try updating your motherboards BIOS and if that doesn't work, users with this problem have gotten their cards working with their motherboards by flashing them with a modded 8800GT VGA-BIOS where the PCI-E 2.0/GEN 2 signature was changed to a PCI-E 1.X/GEN1 signature.

Users in this thread have cross-flashed cards with another manufacturers BIOS without issue. BIOS modded by an Asrock Tech for user ........

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031625823&postcount=101

I'm not saying that this definitely is your issue, I'm just throwing this out there and if you decide to try this and it works, please post back.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007

16. [HP]

[HP] Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB
    Yup, exactly...

@honestjohn:
    Thanks for that mate, it sounds like this could fix it, I'm gonna give it a try when I get home later tonight, and I'll post something afterwards.

Thanks for the help!

17. EagleClaw

EagleClaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB Vapor-X
    While it's obviously not the card in this case as you proved there have been reports of bad cards not booting.

In fact my friend had one, eVGA 8800GT SC, I also have the same card and put his card in my system. The monitor light would just blink and no screen at all although it would load to windows.

18. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    No problem, just make sure you save a copy of your original BFG BIOS to flash back, in case you have to RMA the card.

19. matlear

matlear Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 + 9800gt physx
    I had the same problem with my gigabyte 8800gt, it wouldnt boot and all fans were turning at 100%. This is because my motherboard supports only rev1 pci express and the 8800gt's are all rev2 pci express.

What I did - got rev1 bios for asus 8800gt and force flashed my gigabyte 8800gt with it using my friends pc. Now i can boot and everythings works flawlessly.

The reason it didnt work in the first place is because i have a crappy board arock 4coredual-vsta that doesnt support rev2.

Do what i did and it will all work no probs.

20. [HP]

[HP] Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB
    oh, so I need another PC to do this?

Mmm, how?
    Could someone write a small tut on how to do this? Just a few guide lines.

Damn, I'm getting full of this...
    I'm thinking on buying a new motherboard, altough s939 are VERY rare nowadays to find on stores!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007