Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Want to talk about anything Hardware related? This is the place, you can discuss it here.

Old
  (#26)
Sparx
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 @ 3.4
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D-E Intel P55
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX
PSU: OCZ 600W ModXStream Pro
Default 09-08-2007, 10:57 | posts: 1,347 | Location: England, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle View Post
Post deleted Josh.
Cheers mate.

The guides looking pretty good, should become a sticky shortly after ironing out all the minor bugs/typos.

Old
  (#27)
Rifle_Grunt
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
Processor: Core I5 2500K
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UDP-B3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB AW
Soundcard: Xonar DX + Wharfendale 9
PSU: 700W Thermaltake Tpower
Default 09-08-2007, 11:37 | posts: 2,452 | Location: James Cook Hospital, Middlesbrough

Ok that's all of wildstyles changes done I think!

Edit: got some pics on sata from tat3 that i am going to try and get posted up soon.

Last edited by Rifle_Grunt; 09-08-2007 at 11:43.

Old
  (#28)
RagDoll_Effect
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
Processor: Intel i5 2500K 5.3 Ghz
Mainboard: ASROCK Extreme4 Gen3
Memory: 12GB RipJaws
Soundcard: Marantz SR5005 +FH 9.2 ch
PSU: OCZ GAMEXTREME 1010 Watts
Default 09-08-2007, 11:50 | posts: 4,307 | Location: Australia

Very Cool Guide, I found alot of useful things in it

Thanks and props to you also sticky-worthy

Old
  (#29)
WildStyle
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Intel HD & U2311H
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX
Soundcard: Xonar DGX
PSU: Corsair 600w
Default 09-08-2007, 13:22 | posts: 15,285 | Location: UK

I took it on myself to edit your dual channel bit as I'm fussy about it, lol. Hope you don't mind.

I guess there isn't too much need for IDE stuff as most manuals will explain it and it's phased out now anyway.

Last thing I'd say is people may need to be reminded about flicking the switch on the back of the PSU. Otherwise they may wonder why no powers getting to the system.

It is stuck by the way. The previous build sticky although well written was getting on a bit and had no images. It's in the links section now.

Think that's enough reading about computer stuff for me, gives me headaches these days...

Old
  (#30)
Rifle_Grunt
Maha Guru

Default 09-08-2007, 13:25 | posts: 2,452 | Location: James Cook Hospital, Middlesbrough

Haha! Yes stickyfied! I will try and get it fully edited over the next few days. The edit by you causes me no bother at all!

edit- yes I added the PSU bit at the end for those not cleaver enough to figure out there PSU is off before panicking lol!

Last edited by Rifle_Grunt; 09-08-2007 at 13:30.

Old
  (#31)
Mulsiphix
Maha Guru

Videocard: GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
Processor: Core 2 Duo E4300 @ 3.15GH
Mainboard: XFX nForce 750i
Memory: 3GB GeIL DDR2-800Mhz
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer / Logite
PSU: Thermaltak Toughpower 750
Default 09-08-2007, 16:39 | posts: 1,186 | Location: USA

Congrats Rifle_Grunt on getting it stickied. Now just sit back and be prepared for what all guides receive. Endless torrents of questions by new users that visit the forum in need of PC aid. I've thought about writing a guide on this subject, more of an extensive FAQ actually, for several months but just didn't have the drive to support all the people that would surely come knocking on my door for help months upon months after the guide had been written. I commend you for your dedication and wish you the very best of luck!

Old
  (#32)
waway625
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Powercolor R9 280X/ 3Gb
Processor: i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz HT ON
Mainboard: Rampage III Formula
Memory: 6Gb Corsair PC12800
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DG
PSU: Antec TP New 650W
Default 09-08-2007, 20:46 | posts: 7,951 | Location: Singapore

nice guide!

i wouldnt advise on installing the CPU/HSF when the motherboard is already mounted on the case though

even the stock coolers need some force to fasten properly (not the mention aftermarket coolers like my thermalright ultra 120)

so its better (and easier) to install the CPU/HSF first before mounting the mobo to the case

other than that, thats how i did mine too

Old
  (#33)
Rifle_Grunt
Maha Guru

Default 09-08-2007, 21:32 | posts: 2,452 | Location: James Cook Hospital, Middlesbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
Congrats Rifle_Grunt on getting it stickied. Now just sit back and be prepared for what all guides receive. Endless torrents of questions by new users that visit the forum in need of PC aid. I've thought about writing a guide on this subject, more of an extensive FAQ actually, for several months but just didn't have the drive to support all the people that would surely come knocking on my door for help months upon months after the guide had been written. I commend you for your dedication and wish you the very best of luck!
Haha, yes good point. I origanly was drawn here to try and fix my artifacting 6600 graphics card and have been captivated by the community ever since!

Old
  (#34)
Mulsiphix
Maha Guru

Default 09-09-2007, 03:20 | posts: 1,186 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifle_Grunt View Post
Haha, yes good point. I origanly was drawn here to try and fix my artifacting 6600 graphics card and have been captivated by the community ever since!
And for me it was needing help building my first budget PC and then, a year later, the PC in my profile to the left. This community is the best PC based community I've found on the net. Truly good people here

Old
  (#35)
Rifle_Grunt
Maha Guru

Default 09-09-2007, 11:01 | posts: 2,452 | Location: James Cook Hospital, Middlesbrough

Too true!

Edit: V 1.3- Added serial ATA section.

Last edited by Rifle_Grunt; 09-09-2007 at 11:32.

Old
  (#36)
Sparx
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 @ 3.4
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D-E Intel P55
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX
PSU: OCZ 600W ModXStream Pro
Default 09-10-2007, 00:49 | posts: 1,347 | Location: England, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
Ahh it's a guide! Not an FAQ centre. He doesn't even have to check back to this thread or answer any questions! No questions should really be asked here, they should be in there own separate thread.

This = Guide for people to follow, not to question.

Old
  (#37)
Mulsiphix
Maha Guru

Default 09-10-2007, 03:25 | posts: 1,186 | Location: USA

Well this is the kind of thing people are going to have questions about. Especially since this guide doesn't deal with an Intel based system as well. Guides need to be updated as things change. Once you've demonstrated knowledge and a willingness to teach it is only a matter of time before people seek you out for assistance. Just look at the Guide To RAM stickied in this same forum. 23 whole pages of people asking additional questions or for help with their specific situation.

Old
  (#38)
Rifle_Grunt
Maha Guru

Default 10-20-2007, 09:41 | posts: 2,452 | Location: James Cook Hospital, Middlesbrough

no help required yet

Old
  (#39)
Mulsiphix
Maha Guru

Default 10-20-2007, 17:03 | posts: 1,186 | Location: USA

I'm surprised but not at the same time. This thread is in its infancy compared to the other stickies. It is extremely helpful but I think most of the people who find their way to Guru probably already have a basic understanding of a computer. I'd still bet money you'll be getting personal requests for help by the end of the year. Hell I get at least one PM a week from somebody asking me for help picking out computer parts or for help designing a low budget PC. Don't even have a sticky to call my own lol.

So is the lack of contact disappointing or are you relieved?

Old
  (#40)
Rifle_Grunt
Maha Guru

Default 10-21-2007, 13:00 | posts: 2,452 | Location: James Cook Hospital, Middlesbrough

Indiferent rly. I am perfectly happy to sort out problems however no comments also gives me more time to play on world in conflict lol

Here you go Grunt
Old
  (#41)
Randonx

Videocard: GeForce 8600GT 512MB
Processor: Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz
Mainboard: ASUS nVidia nForce 570
Memory: Crucial Ballistix(2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
Soundcard: Cheap Creative Labs :p
PSU: Thermaltake Purepower 12V 2.0 500W
Default Here you go Grunt - 11-28-2007, 20:45 | posts: 25 | Location: Paso Robles, CA

Alright, so I pretty much followed this guide to the T, but I'm having problems. Got everything connected up, but when I boot up, it only goes as far as getting past the BIOS, then when the blinking cursor shows, it lasts about 5 seconds then I get a BSoD for less than a split second, can't even read anything on it, and then it restarts. I've tried several times now. Anybody have any ideas? Already took Ram out and put it back in, same with the Videocard.

Old
  (#42)
Mulsiphix
Maha Guru

Default 11-29-2007, 06:28 | posts: 1,186 | Location: USA

BSOD is a windows problem. To my knowledge, at least in my experience, I have never seen a BSOD outside of Windows. Technically once you see the blinking cursor it should be in the process of launching whatever OS you have in place. In the case that you don't have one it should return some kind of text error or return a command prompt.

So does this hard drive have Windows on it? If not try unplugging the drive and then see if the BSOD appears. If it was a video card problem you either wouldn't be able to see anything at all or your monitor would go into standby mode when it crashed/couldn't display whatever was on screen.

While I don't think it is a memory error you could always test your memory with MemTest 86+. Just download the image from this website, burn it to a cd, set your CD-ROM as the first boot device in your BIOS, and let it do its job. It will start up as soon as it gets to the "blinking cursor" you mentioned above. Just let it run overnight while you sleep. If it doesn't list any errors then your memory is working 100% error free.

If it were a CPU issue the motherboard probably wouldn't even startup. If you can't even get into an OS you really can't test the CPU though. Again in my experience when there was a CPU problem the thing just wouldn't start up. If it got me into Windows I could then produce errors using a program like Orthos or Prime 95. These programs are intended to stress test the hell out of a processor. From what you've described I doubt it is the CPU causing the error.

The motherboard shouldn't be capable of causing an error like you described. At least I wouldn't even consider your mobo until you've exhausted testing your other hardware first. Definitely an OS or hard drive problem in my opinion.

Last edited by Mulsiphix; 11-29-2007 at 06:35. Reason: Added Links To Programs Mentioned

Old
  (#43)
Randonx

Videocard: GeForce 8600GT 512MB
Processor: Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz
Mainboard: ASUS nVidia nForce 570
Memory: Crucial Ballistix(2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
Soundcard: Cheap Creative Labs :p
PSU: Thermaltake Purepower 12V 2.0 500W
Default 11-29-2007, 20:15 | posts: 25 | Location: Paso Robles, CA

Thanks, I got it figured out thanks to the help of a lot of Gurus.

Like the dumbass I am, I was trying to use a Hard drive from my old computer with the old chipset drivers on it. Didn't have a fresh install of windows. So I got a new hard-drive and got it taken care of.

Sorry for marring this topic with a useless post (now 2), feel free to delete them if you have the ability.

Old
  (#44)
Mulsiphix
Maha Guru

Default 11-30-2007, 03:25 | posts: 1,186 | Location: USA

Glad to hear you got it worked out

Old
  (#45)
Rifle_Grunt
Maha Guru

Default 11-30-2007, 23:05 | posts: 2,452 | Location: James Cook Hospital, Middlesbrough

They are not useless and good to hear you are enjoying my guide + thanks for the assistance there Mulsiphix

Old
  (#46)
Mulsiphix
Maha Guru

Default 12-01-2007, 04:08 | posts: 1,186 | Location: USA

Anytime mate. I like your new avatar

Old
  (#47)
Rich_Guy
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSi Gaming 290X 1080/1250
Processor: i7 5930K
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR4 2666MHz
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX
PSU: Corsair AX860w
Thumbs up 04-30-2008, 20:39 | posts: 9,606 | Location: UK

Excellent guide.

Old
  (#48)
RooR

Videocard: BFG 7800GS 256MB
Processor: AMD64 3800+ Newcastle
Mainboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
Memory: 2GB Corsair XMS TwinX (3-
Soundcard: Creative Labs SB Audigy 2
PSU: Ultra X-Finity 500W
Default 09-26-2008, 09:31 | posts: 6 | Location: USA

I'm upgrading my ancient system and im keeping my case, dvddrives, and harddrives. I do know how to build a computer from the ground up but Ive never upgraded a completely different motherboard before so I'm a bit weary. I'm switching from a very old AMD board to a newer Intel board.

Upgrading to e8400, p5q pro, 4850, ocz reaper hpc, to be exact, from my current.

A real quick google run got me alot of 'reinstall windows or ur outta luck' and my current system was a prebuilt that didnt come with an full XP Pro disk. The guide didnt say anything about it.

Is it really as simple as:
1. remove drivers
2. install new parts
3. BIOS setup
4. install new drivers

or am i partially screwed? (ie will have to go and buy Vista/find real unused XP Pro)

Last edited by RooR; 09-26-2008 at 09:42.

Old
  (#49)
Tat3
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX480
Processor: i7 920 @ 4,4GHz | Water
Mainboard: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
Memory: 3*2Gb 8-8-8-20 @ 1680MHz
Soundcard: UA-55 -> 2*Genelec 8030B
PSU: Defo not modular (TX950W)
Default 09-26-2008, 23:12 | posts: 11,312 | Location: Finland

Does your case have Windows XP Professional serial sticker? If it has, then just download Windows from somewhere and use serial you got in that sticker. If not, well, then you can get Windows somewhere or buy it from somewhere. I do recommed using Vista anyways (buy it).

You need to reinstall Windows when you change your mobo. So:
1. Back up important files.
2. Install Mobo + other parts
3. Install Windows
4. Install Drivers.

You most likely dont need to go to BIOS. Only if your overclocking, or want to change boot order, or something does not work.

Old
  (#50)
RooR

Videocard: BFG 7800GS 256MB
Processor: AMD64 3800+ Newcastle
Mainboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
Memory: 2GB Corsair XMS TwinX (3-
Soundcard: Creative Labs SB Audigy 2
PSU: Ultra X-Finity 500W
Default 09-27-2008, 23:35 | posts: 6 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat3 View Post
Does your case have Windows XP Professional serial sticker? If it has, then just download Windows from somewhere and use serial you got in that sticker. If not, well, then you can get Windows somewhere or buy it from somewhere. I do recommed using Vista anyways (buy it).

You need to reinstall Windows when you change your mobo. So:
1. Back up important files.
2. Install Mobo + other parts
3. Install Windows
4. Install Drivers.

You most likely dont need to go to BIOS. Only if your overclocking, or want to change boot order, or something does not work.
When you say install windows do you mean that 'repair' by reinstalling over the old directories or complete reformat and install?