PS3 for $500 starting next week

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Insomniac34, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    http://www.cheapassgamer.com/archives/100-ps3-price-drop-starts-july-12.php

"At the very least, the PS3 will be $100 cheaper at Circuit City from 7/15 to 7/21 (according to their Sunday Ad) , but this is a pretty good indication that there will be a price drop (announced at E3) at retailers across the USA."

And word is that the price drop will be retail-wide, so hopefully anyone that was considering buying a PS3 will hold off for one more week. And apparently you can still use the 5 Free Blu-Ray movies offer. So that's $500 for a PS3 and 5 Blu-Ray movies.

[​IMG]

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    .... still pretty damn expensive. and i don't see how a price drop for only one week is a "pretty good" indication of a price drop. If you ask me it seems to be more of an indication of retailers wanting to try to clear out some of the stock of PS3's they have piling up....

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Is every damn post about the PS3 you make negative? It's like you have some strange inherent hatred for all things Playstation. People are buying a media center, not just a games console.

It's good news in my opinion. Cheaper + the bluray movie deal? That's a much better deal than it was, and a lot more insentive for people to buy it.

4. senior98

senior98 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 8800GT 512mb
    Not bad considering it's basically a whole entertainment center in one package.

5. FuLLBLeeD

FuLLBLeeD Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA nVidia 9800 GTX 512M
    Personally, I'd just rather have $500 worth of Virtual Console games.

*raises flame shield*

6. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Darkest: yes.... but out of a survey of 2,000 people.... only 30% know that their console can play movies.... and only like 18% actually use it for movies. i know.... it's only 2,000 people out of millions.... but you usually get a general idea of the larger picture by looking at the smaller picture. A lot of people i've seen when i was wandering WalMart's electronics section looking at the PS3, saying it's the best, and that everything else sucks.... didn't have a freakin clue what BluRay was.... they just knew that PS3 had it.... Wii and 360 don't.

7. most leftist 69

most leftist 69 Master Guru

GPU:
    evga nv 8800 gt 700/1750/1680
    Some people, like myself, consider the bluray a plus not for the movie playback but for GAMES. LONGER GAMES. GAMES WITH UNCOMPRESSED MUSIC WHICH MEANS BETTER MUSIC. UNCOMPRESSED FMV WHICH MEANS THE PS3 DOES SOMETHING GOOD WHILE THE X360 DOES THE SAME THING REALLY ****TILY.

So to sum it all up the ps3 is a good deal at any price, the wii is not. neither is the x360.

The only thing I'm wondering about is if perhaps sony might get pissed at circuit city for selling their console below their msrp.

I remember a long-ass time ago all cc carried was sony consoles, accessories, games, and 3rd party games.

If the average gamer realised that the blu-ray format can make games so much better, then the developers of games would take advantage of it.

8. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    500 bucks for a console and 5 blu-ray movies blu ray movies run for new for 30 bucks

that means technically the system is 350 bucks with 150 bucks worth of movies

I would sell the movies on ebay or to a gamestop or someplace to make some of the money back

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  9. FuLLBLeeD

FuLLBLeeD Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA nVidia 9800 GTX 512M
    How does Blu-Ray makes games better than standard DVD? I'm curious to know, because all it looks like it does is give more room for data.

10. Jason9875

Jason9875 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    Excluding the Blu-ray bit I could build an HTPC that could handle 1080P for cheaper than $400. As for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray playback I never use it, so I have no need to shell out extra money for such features in a game console, when my Xbox 1 + Xecuter 3CE + XBMC does a fine job of playing everything but HD movies off my computer. (Something that if I actually really cared about I could

Name 3 dual DVD games that have come out for the Xbox 360.

That pretty much sums out how much the extra space Blu-Ray offers is needed. Not to mention the things you listed aren't always practical Uncompressed music would take up too much system memory, or if it was streamed, it would be taking up time that could be used to keep the PS3 from seeing a loading screen. Not to mention I bet you couldn't pick out the difference between a compressed music file, and as for FMVs they aren't needed anymore. This isn't the PS1 days where it was hard to render cut scenes in game, the PS3 is perfectly capable of handling in-game cutscenes in real time.

Or maybe, there isn't anything Blu-Ray offers that Developers need, so they have no reason to take 'advantage' of its extra space.

11. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    The point is that BluRay is pushing to be a format like DVD is now. Yes you could build a PC that will playback in 1080p for less then the price of a PS3, but it's not as easy as popping to the shop and picking up a BluRay or going to Blockbuster and renting one. The point is you are buying into a format, not just a technology. I have a chipped Xbox (Xecuter2) with XBMC and while it is very good at what it does it doesn't play HD content (its simply not powerful enough) so I don't really think it can be compared beyond the standard streaming it offers (I use Nero Media Home for my PS3/360 streaming) which both the 360 and PS3 can make up for with transcoding software.

I think the point that a lot of people miss is, yes you can build a PC for HD playback for less then the price of a PS3 or 360 + HD-DVD drive, but that same PC wouldn't play games anywhere near as well as a 360 or PS3. The problem the PS3 has is its justification as *just* a games console which is when the price doesn't look so attractive.

As for BluRay and games, who knows what they might do. I'm sure there will be multi DVD games for the 360 at some point but I don't see it (BluRay) as the huge advantage some people make it out to be. Time will tell I guess, maybe something like Final Fantasy 13 will really take advantage of it with its sheer size (?).

Any price drop is a good thing imo, it needs to be much nearer £300 over here for a lot of people to even think about buying one and it needs more games. Not everyone needs a media hub or HD media/BD player and it is those people Sony have alienated with the price.

Darkest's point about ElementalDragon's posts concerning the PS3 all being negative is a valid one imo. Obviously you don't like the PS3, that's fine stick with your Wii or whatever else. But citing an article that represents less then 0.002% of the user base neither proves or disproves anything. I have a Wii and I could bang on all day about how utterly tripe the graphics are compared to the 360 and PS3 or how the control system doesnt work for most traditional games very well, or I could moan about the noise that my 360 produces under load compared to the other two systems or the handy way it randomly scratches disks but I accept that all three systems have their advantages and disadvantages and I look at the positives of each instead of focusing on the negatives as many people do with the PS3.

Remember kids; it's cool to hate Sony these days so jump on that bandwagon and be part of the gang!

12. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    BluRay isn't an advantage when it comes to games...... well... at least not graphics quality wise. I know i've mentioned this before in another thread.... but Hideo Kojima himself said that he doesn't really care about BluRay due to the fact that once you get the lossless uncompressed music and high quality cutscenes that Leftist mentioned... a game could be made to look just as good on a regular DVD.... minus the high quality cutscenes and lossless audio.... which again..... not a whole lot of people worry about.

double_cut: i've said this to you before.... and i'll say it again.... i don't hate the PS3. i like the idea of it..... but the fact that they deigned their console AROUND BluRay to try to push BluRay as a format further is just plain ridiculous. I'd rather have had them go the same route as Microsoft if they really wanted to push the format they're backing. Least then all the consoles would have roughly been in the $250-300 range.... instead of MS and Nintendo having a console in the $250-300 range, with the PS3 being $300 more.

and uuh.... i can see having mentioned building a PC for HD playback for less than the PS3.... but the 360 + HD DVD drive? ~$400? no.

13. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Blah blah blah, go away. You don't even understand that Microsoft aren't "backing" HD-DVD the same way Sony are with BluRay, they have said themselves they have no problem bringing out a BluRay add on if HD-DVD goes down the toilet. Unfortunately no matter what you say I can't take anything you say about the PS3 seriously.

EDIT: ohhh ignore function in user cp. Sweet. :)

14. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    Wow, so all I do is post a thread about a PS3 price drop, and this happens.

Immaturity - 1, Maturity - 0

15. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    Watch and listen

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21306.html

Q: You feel this is the perfect system (PS3) for this game (Uncharted)

Evan Wells: Absolutely, we're leveraging every bit of technology in the PlayStation 3, from the blu-ray drive, I mean our game would just not fit in single DVD, it will have to be in multiple DVD's which isn't the way you want to play games anymore.

* Evan Wells is the CO president of Naughty Dog

16. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    Thats crazy its only using 30% of the power of the ps3

17. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    hmm going down in price to bad its still a pice of crap.........lol

18. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    This is sooo mature.
    I should have gievn you a 24 hr ban for this, too much crap in this section.
    All you who feel the need to insult consoles for no reason or thier users or any user of this forum be on notice.
    nm+ is whipping out the ban stick

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    OOoh that's wrong. Did you see the presentation of IDs tech5 engine? 20 gb of textures.

20. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Its still too expensive... $500 is a lot of money, the PS3 is a great console, no doubt, but is it worth so much money? I'd have to say no.

I'll probably buy one for FFXIII, but I'm still not sure.