Game pulled off store shelves

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by crue7, Jul 3, 2007.

1. crue7

crue7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 275gtx 896mb
  2. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    wow ppl are realy retarded lol............

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's just like people bitchin about the San andreas mod...

It's a mod, get over it. People make mods for games.

But I think this is stupid too, because one woman thinks a word is offensive. Well if the game could say you're a ****ing dumbass, I'd be more worried about that than "spastic", which a lot of people don't know what it means.

So...What does spastic mean?

4. destroyah3034

destroyah3034 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor HD7950 3GB
    I take it, this would be why she found the word offensive.

Link

I rather found it funny at first, then I looked it up, and, well I'll let you all think about the impact it must have had on her.:cops:

5. Ebola Bob

Ebola Bob New Member

GPU:
    X1900XT 512
    Its one of the many things that really get my back up. Nobody is allowed to say anything about anything, just in case someone takes offense.

There are pedophiles and murders roaming the streets.

There are soldiers being shot at who are paid terribly considering they have their lives on the line.

Britain has open doors to immigrants and all they do is try kill innocent members of the public including children. The public did not have anything to do with what is going on in Iraq, politicians including ex president blair are to answer for that.

Then someone gets their knickers in a twist because someone says spastic.

FFS FISHDO.

I have now cleansed my stomach of bile (nearly). Be plenty more by tomorrow...

PS
    Hope she doesn't read this post then

"bobdude

wow ppl are realy RETARDED lol............"

6. crue7

crue7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 275gtx 896mb

but still.....americans and britts have different meanings for a bunch of words...british people call cigarettes Fags and americans call them ciggaretes...its not like Ubisoft knew it was a bad thing to say...in america spastic means someone of irregular movement but in the UK its something offensive I guess? Even still she went pretty damn far to get this game removed and thats what pisses me off.

7. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Man, what is this world coming to? Would it have been OK if they rated the game T or MO? Probably. People get offended all the time. You have to view the word in a negative way for it to be offensive. I'm sure many of us would consider it funny, rather than a derogatory insult.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    meh its freaking game people need to get over it there are worse thing in movies yet they go after games companies .... I wonder why? ... the did it with Rock/hardrock/rap now it games =P

9. ntfx

ntfx Guest

pretty funny really, wonder what shed think if she played gta for an hour and heard the insults in that.

10. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    It means the same thing in the UK, people say it all the time as a comedic insult if someone does something clumsy or embarrassing. Some people are just way too sensitive about stuff like that.

11. PFX_79

PFX_79 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256mb
    That was the first thing that popped into my head...if she thinksTHATS bad..shes never played any of the GTA games, or even FEAR where everyother word out of the reploid soldiers is the F bomb. o_O

12. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    So books with offencive words is ok? but games aint? sounds creazy to me x_X

13. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    That game isn't rated "E".
    I do agree that she totally overreacted on the whole issue. A "Spastic" person, where I come from, is just a person who over reacts. ie. This lady is acting like a "spaz" or being "spastic" because she found the word "spasic" in a video game offensive. Al in all. It's probably the reason she found it offencive. Heard it all her life and now even her video games are calling her that. :)

14. ntfx

ntfx Guest

i agree its not rated E, but hell films like die hard 4 are pg 13 now. That has a fair few offensive words etc. Noones complaining about that.

15. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    "Pg 13" is hardly comparable to an "E" rating. "G"-"PG" would be a better comparison. "Pg13" would be more around a "T" rating.
    So again your not really arguing the right point here. This is the exact reason why these things happen.

16. ntfx

ntfx Guest

im trying to explain how things are more laxed these days, die hard trilogy was an 18, the same content is now a pg-13. Words like spastic aren't particularly thought of as highly offensive, im from the uk and lived there for 22 years and noone thought it was outrageous to call someone a spastic.

It was more thought of as a kids childish insult to another child. On another note, ig the game was a pg-13, would the woman have no right to be insulted to be called a spastic if it contained that word? I wonder how that works.

17. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Spastic]Definition of Spastic

Do you know what Cerebral Palsy is?

(B) Classification By Movement Disorder
    (1) Spastic CP- Spastic muscles are tight and stiff, and have increased resistance to being stretched. They become overactive when used and produce clumsy movements. Normal muscles work in pairs: when one group contracts, the other group relaxes to allow free movement in the desired direction. Spastic muscles become active together and block effective movement. This muscular "tug-of-war" is called co-contraction.
    Spasticity may be mild and affect only a few movements, or severe and affect the whole body. The amount of spasticity usually changes over time. Therapy, surgery, drugs and adaptive equipment may help to control spasticity. Damage to the brain's cerebral cortex is generally the cause of spastic cerebral palsy.

(2) Athetoid CP- Athetosis leads to difficulty in controlling and co-ordinating movement. People with athetoid cerebral palsy have many involuntary writhing movements and are constantly in motion. They often have speech difficulties. Athetoid cerebral palsy results from damage to the basal ganglia in the midbrain. It was once common as a result of blood type incompatibility, but is now rarely seen.
    (3) Ataxic CP- Ataxic CP is the least common form of cerebral palsy. People with ataxic CP have a disturbed sense of balance and depth perception. They usually have poor muscle tone (hypotonic), a staggering walk and unsteady hands. Ataxia results from damage to the cerebellum, the brain's major centre for balance and co-ordination.

When there are 3 different definitions to spastic you need to look at the right one, and this child's mother isn't as by what I gather in that article, because spastic cerebral palsy (or CP in general) doesn't mean you're retarded, as what it affects are motor skills, and THE SPASTICITY OF MUSCLES, so instead of suing ubisoft this woman needs to go back and check her definitions, and do research on what the neurological disorder that her "daddy" and son were affected by instead of being stupid. FYI I also suffer from Spastic Cerebral Palsy and I actually find what this woman is doing to be "spastic" as in retarded, as the disorder her son (and "daddy") suffered doesn't make you retarded, just physically challenged.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  18. crue7

crue7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 275gtx 896mb
  19. ntfx

ntfx Guest

20. crue7

crue7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 275gtx 896mb

ahhh oh LOL......I misread something someone said. doh! lol I can be dumbass sometimes sorry hahaha:smoke: