Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything Catalyst related. AMD Catalyst drivers are for all AMD ATI based graphics cards. This is also the place to discuss modified Catalyst drivers.

Catalyst Control Center won't install / uninstall
Old
  (#1)
Ladyhawk

Videocard: Sapphire ATi Radeon X1900XT 512 MB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Mainboard: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
Memory: Patriot DDR2-666 2 GB
Soundcard: On Board Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec 650 Watt
Default Catalyst Control Center won't install / uninstall - 04-10-2007, 04:29 | posts: 20 | Location: Kah-lee-for-nee-ah

I tried to update my drivers and now I have a headache of mammoth proportions. I can't get the Catalyst Control Center to install or uninstall.

Yes, I'm aware of the ATi Tray Tool. I'm using it right now; however, I'd like to figure out what's wrong with the CCC. I think there's a remnant of an older version. When I try to uninstall it, it wants me to find ATICCC.msi, which doesn't exist on my computer. The CCC uninstall utility provided by ATi has the same problem.

I can't uninstall this phantom version of the Catalyst Control Center, nor can I install a more up-to-date version. Arrgh. ;(

Old
  (#2)
Infested Nexus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GeForce G210M 512MB DDR3
Processor: C2D SU7300 @ 1.3 - 1.7GHz
Mainboard: ASUS UL80VT
Memory: 2x2048MB DDR3 1066
Soundcard: ICH 9 / Realtek / NVIDIA
PSU: 8cell 5600mAh Lithium Ion
Default 04-10-2007, 04:58 | posts: 4,782 | Location: Κόσμος

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_4.html
Old Catalyst Removal

Now we move on to the simplest, and yet most commonly mishandled part of using graphics drivers - the removal of previous Catalyst drivers. To do this successfully, you need to follow some simple steps which will help guarantee that your installation of the drivers is 'clean', and leads to trouble-free performance. I particularly recommend this procedure if you are installing the ATI Catalyst Control Center for the first time. To completely remove your existing Catalysts, and all traces of them from your system manually do the following:

1. Uninstall any existing Catalysts. To do this, go to Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs. Select the 'ATI - Software Uninstall Utility' option if available, and click the Change/Remove button. Follow the prompts from there to uninstall your existing Catalysts, and reboot as prompted. If you have an older version of the Catalysts installed, and can't find the ATI Software Uninstall Utility item, under Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel find the 'ATI Catalyst Control Panel' and/or the 'ATI Catalyst Control Center' item(s) and uninstall them, then find the 'ATI Display Driver' item and uninstall it as well (in that order), rebooting when necessary. If you cannot find any ATI entries, you are probably using the default Windows XP drivers, which means you can skip to the Catalyst Installation section of the guide further below.

2. When you reboot, you will find Windows XP will detect your graphics card as one (or more) new devices. It will then attempt to find appropriate drivers for your card. Cancel out of all such attempts.

3. This step is optional, however it is strongly recommended if you are either (a) downgrading your Catalysts to a previous version, or (b) experiencing problems and want to ensure you have a "clean install" of the Catalysts. Basically the aim is to find all the individual ATI Catalyst driver files and remove them manually. To do this, go to your C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\System32\Drivers directories, and find and delete all files beginning with 'ATI...'. You may notice that some of these files keep recreating themselves - don't worry, these are just the default XP ATI drivers which are protected and can't be permanently deleted. Just delete all the ATI driver files and let XP decide which default files the system should keep. Alternatively you can use the Windows Search function (Start>Search), with the search string ATI*.* to make searching and deletion faster. Importantly however, do not delete the files under the \ServicePackFiles or \Lastgood directories, or under any game or application-specific directories. Just stick to files found under the two directories mentioned earlier. Finally, make sure you delete the entire program folder(s) where you installed the Catalysts. The default install location is C:\ATI and/or C:\ATI Technologies but if you chose another location when installing, go there and delete the folder and all its contents. Also delete the \Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\ATI and \Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI directories if you have previously installed the ATI Catalyst Control Center at any point.

If you don't have the time or patience to do things manually, or are worried about accidentally deleting the wrong file, use DriverCleaner Pro. This utility clears out remnants of old drivers from a range of manufacturers, but is no longer free. The free version of it is no longer being updated, so I recommend learning to use the manual method above.

4. This step is optional, but again it is recommended if you want to ensure a "clean install". It involves removing any ATI registry entries left over. To do this, I recommend using either RegSupreme, or its earlier (and completely free) cousin, RegCleaner 4.3. To use RegSupreme, start the program and once it has cached your files, start a 'Deep' scan, then wait and choose the 'All' item under the Select menu to highlight all the 'invalid entries' found, and click the Fix button to remove them all, making sure to save a backup under a descriptive name. To use RegCleaner, open the program and on the front page put a tick next to all the 'ATI'-related entries, and then click the 'Remove Selected' button. If you want to use the Windows XP Registry Editor instead, go to Start>Run and type "RegEdit" (without quotes). Then go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key, select the 'Software' subkey, and scroll down to the 'ATI', 'ATI Technologies' and 'ATI Technologies Inc.' entries. Right-Click on each of these keys and select Delete to remove them. Note that this method is not as thorough as using RegSupreme or RegCleaner, which find other hidden ATI entries.

That should remove all the bits and pieces of old Catalyst drivers and Control Panels which have been installed on your system previously. Of course the quickest method is to just run the ATI Software Uninstall Utility, but as I said, if you're installing the ATI Catalyst Control Centre for the first time, if you have a history of graphical problems, if you've installed multiple versions of the Catalysts without a cleanout, or you are reverting to an older version of the Catalysts from a newer one, I strongly suggest you follow all four steps above at least once.

Old
  (#3)
Lane
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
Processor: I7 4930K H2o EK Supremacy
Mainboard: Asus X79 Deluxe
Memory: G-Skill C9 2133mhz 16GB
Soundcard: X-FI Titanium HD + SP2500
PSU: CM 1000W
Default 04-10-2007, 14:26 | posts: 5,433 | Location: Switzerland

I don't know if it's your prob.. If you have rollback from a driver higher to 7.2, you have need uninstall the CCC properly before, if you have not do it... it cause problem..
I have just see this after test driver with beta of modded 7.3 and make compare then with the 7.2..and 7.1, a likely message have appears.. " you need uninstall the CCC before install a previous driver"... the problem since they have change the CCC component, if you don't have do it properly, the CCC bug then, like it mix all and new components..

Old
  (#4)
Decane
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ATI Radeon HD4870 512MB
Processor: Intel C2Q Q6600 @ 3GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R F10
Memory: Corsair XMS2 4GB DDR2
Soundcard: ALC889A | DT880 600***937
PSU: Corsair TX650W
Default 04-10-2007, 14:52 | posts: 5,044 | Location: England (/Finland)

Before proceeding, please make a System Restore Point using Windows System Restore [Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore] and download and install the following:---------------------------------------------------------------

Removing old drivers

STEP 1. Navigate to Add/Remove Programs [Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs] and uninstall the ATI Catalyst driver components in the following order. Don't reboot before I tell you to!
1) Catalyst Control Center
2) ATI Display Driver
3) ATI - Software Uninstall Utility
STEP 2. Reboot your PC.

STEP 3. Go into Safe Mode when your PC is rebooting, by tapping F8 during the black screen with ~4 or 5 lines of text which comes before the Windows loading screen, and then selecting 'Safe Mode' as the startup type, and 'Windows XP' as the Operating System.

STEP 4. Log on to an administrator account (doesn't matter which one, but I'd suggest you use your own), and once at your desktop, start Driver Cleaner Professional.

STEP 5. In the 'Cleaning Selection', tick "Select multiple cleaning filters" and choose everything starting with ATI. Then press the "Start" button, and after the program is done cleaning, close it.

STEP 6. Start CCleaner and go to the "Issues" section. Tick all of the filters, and run the scanner, remembering to create a registry backup when it automatically prompts you to! Alternatively, you can use another registry cleaning program if you don't find CCleaner appealing.

STEP 7. Run the scanner again as many times as needed until nothing shows up at the screen, creating a registry backup each time.

STEP 8. Reboot and install your new driver in normal mode as you usually would.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Links: