Guru 3D Crossfire Users Guide (Part #2)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Continue here from the first thread please gentlemen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2012
  2. Bray

Bray Member

GPU:
    ATI X800 XT
    I currently have a 256MB ATI X800 XT and have won an E-Bay auction for a X1950 XT Cross Fire edition. Can I use the Cross Fire card as a "single card" until I can afford to upgrade my Intel D925XCVLK motherboard to a crossfire motherboard and buy a regular X1950 XT? Also wondering how much to expect in games difference between these 2 cards. Thanks!

3. XxGrimReaperxX

XxGrimReaperxX New Member

GPU:
    2- ATI 1950's in Crossfire 512
    Yes you can use the card as single card until you get your 2nd. I had a X850XT and upgraded to X1950XTX and saw a big gain in FPS in COD2 & BF2, also huge gain in 3DMark05 and 06.

4. -HaRdCoRE-

-HaRdCoRE- Banned

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 GTX
    Does Anyone have a clue to how Software crossfire works? Is there any point in Oc'ing my 1950xtx (which i always do) or is there no point because the 1900xt is in crossfire with it? My 3d mark scores are inconsistent to say the least. Sorta wish Ati would release some info on how this works and what are the disavantages to mismatched cards... Thanks

5. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Yes, you can do it... you can see my score on 3D bench mayem... with a X1900XTX and a X1950CF..

here the point.. you need 2 software, cause there's some incompability witt ATi tool at the moment..

so here how you will do this..:

Software:
    - Winclock 5.22 for the X1950
    - ATi tool 25.14b version for the X1900XTX..

first go under the service management of windows.. disable the HokeyPoller and the Smartgart... reboot.. ( this disable the 2D/3D change mode used on ATI Gpu's.) so you will OC next the 2D clocks..

1) Open ATI-Tool, choose the right devices for it, up the voltage too the one you will ( careful, the 2D voltage you see is for 2D speed, so realy low compared to the stock 3D voltage of the X1900XT(X)..

Set the speed... you will... ( You can close ATI-Tool.)

2) now on the X1950CF and winclock..
    when you open it, if the speed show is the same as you have set for the X1900XTX, change devices and take the good one ( the X1950), then set voltage and speed for core, and memory speed... you can't change the voltage of memory, but it's enough for get 1143mhz ( max speed can be use, for all actual OC software, cause they are designed for DDR3 not DDR4 speed and timings)... you can close the soft or not....
    depending of the good of the X1950 you will have 1143 or only 1120 stable

and Now... bench...!!!!:bounce:

anyway like for all OC with GPU's, you need experience and know what you do... it's allways easy to kill a GPU's doing this, if cooling is not enough or you set not the good voltages..

Why use this 2 software?... basically the last ATi tool 26.x, don't like when you disable the 2D/3D clocks switch whith the X1900 series... and the old 25.14b is not compatible with the X1950... it just for this...

it can look complicated, but in real, it's not.... i have really excellent result with my 2 Gpu's under water and my E6700 under Vapo..(23'339 under 3D05)

Edit:
    Hmmm.. i have not see you have do this in softmode, and what is the GPu's you have in "master"? Hope it will work for you too in this case...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  6. -HaRdCoRE-

-HaRdCoRE- Banned

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 GTX
    Hey Lane thanks for the great reply, didn't know if i was ever gonna get one..:)
    (I have a 1900xt no cf edition and 1950xtx)
    Just to let You know I have the 1950xtx in the top slot and the 1900xt in the second x16 slot. I am no Newb to overclocking and have been trying mostly ati tool, and even Rivatuner to get the most out of these cards in software mode. With Ati tooL i would make two OC profiles for each card, start the newest ati tooL with both in 3d mode,(both services enabled) set the 1900xt profile to something like 715/ 820 with a little voltage tweaking and the 1950xtx to 702/999 for some reason with the newest ati tool i can't do anything with the 1950xtx's memory with the boxed checked where it loosens the memory timings.. It wouldn't even go up to 1010...but with that box checked (not to adjust timings)i can just put in 1100 and most of the time it won't crash the card. But the kicker is after enabling both of these profiles I would run , bf2 or a 3d mark and when i returned to the desktop the 1950xtx would still be Oc'ed but the 1900xt would drop back down to 500/600.

I will definitely try your method and greatly appreciate the advice. I just wish ati would put up more documentation on how Software Crossfire works...in hardware crossfire you have options for different modes like afr, scissor, and supertiling, i just have crosfire enabled and not enabled...no different crossfire types. oh well, but the big thing i would like to know is whether having my 1900xt at a slower memory speed is hurting my performance?, should i just get the core clocks up as high as i can and the memory clock on the 1900xt (830 or so)and leave the 1950xtx at 1000 (or 999) One thing that i am not to good at with the 1900 is the memory, not sure what ns i have but i hate that sometimes it likes more MVDDQ and MVDDC sometimes less mvddq,but it is picky as hell and if i get it wrong , it crashes my whole system requiring a hard restart. Should i still go really high with the VDDCI or not , at one point i read that that would give you 20-30mhz more on the ram...not really my experience on the 1900xt haven't touched it on the 1950.

Occasionally i would run a 3d mark 05 and it would get all the way through with the 1900xt still overclocked and I would get in the high 14,000's (almost 15)and for 06 in the 9000's somewhere. With one card..crossfire disabled, think it uses the 1950xtx I would get in the high 12,000's ..think i can def get better. Weird that at lower resolutions with even one card i get worse scores than one or two res's up, i get better scores at 1280x720 and even 1280x1024 than i do with the default 1024 x768.

Also what settings in catalyst do u leave enabled, on max performance it still leaves adaptive AA on Quality, so i always go in and put aa and af on applic controlled and everthing else to the left and adaptive aa off. Anything i should change?
    Last but not least i Have both of the cards with Danger Den tyee's on them so everything is nice and decently cooL even the Voltage Reg, the cards rarely even get up to the 50's. Expensive but it works well :O)

Sorry to hit You with 8 million questions at once man and I greatly appreciate the Help, sorta was hoping you or Mikemk would respond Esp because You Have Mismatched cards. I love tooling around with this stuff, but just want to get all I can out of these cards. Crossfire Visual Quality is absolutly amazing and the only reason i went with the 1950xtx is for the HDCP over another 1900xt. (that and software crossfire) Last but not least is why the F can we not do dual monitor set ups....I have 3 unused DVi's and i Can't use Two of them at the same time..don't think i have tried them all with crossfire, but they have to be able to fix this..blah guess You can't have everything. Thanks again and Enjoy Your Friday Night

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Ok good, you cards are under water...

I was lucky, my X1900XTX clock not bad in solo... the memory can go higher of 900mhz, and core to more of 800mhz..
    Personally i set my voltage like this, 1.575/2.201/2.201/1.501 for the X1900XTX, and 1.575/1.55CDDCI for the X1950 (core and VDDCI in winclock, memory voltage can't be touch..)

like we have a max memory clocks on the X1950 (peoples have find 1143mhz), we OC really higher the memory of the X1900 from stock compared to the X1950, i have the feeling there's no problem of lost in performance..
    It's clear it will be more easy with 2 X1950, but my score look same or better of a full X1950Cfire system..

For the core, i use same overlcock for both (772mhz on both or 782 etc..)

In catalyst: you need loose all on appliccation controled, verify adaptative AA is not enable, and the catalyst AI is on low, not advanced, for benches..

The last but not least, if you run AM3, you can use the AF on 2x, cause in appliccation controlled, the AM3 set it on 4x...

Basically the Supertilling and other "type" of render can't be choose on the catalyst like with Nvidia, i hope they will update this soon... cause actually it's in real the profile of games enable one or an other.. but like you have see the CCC do a good job and i have never got prob... i know for some games when the Cfire was released, there was a lillt tweaks, with rename the appliccation with the name of an other games, like this the CCC was choose the right render (fear if i remember well..) anyway i have not get prob with it..

Anyway you will get a little CPU bottleneck for 3D05,... it's all CPU dependant, i was really surpise see the difference with the E6700 compared to my "old" 4800+

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  8. -HaRdCoRE-

-HaRdCoRE- Banned

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 GTX
    Gonna give some of Your suggestions a go here in a couple minutes..900 memory on the core of a 1900 are u serious?. these things memory won't fry out with 2.201 or more?.i guess thats not too much of an increase, but have never had much luck on the memory with these cards..my memory is very well cooled esp with the Tyee http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...950_Dual_Video_Card_Cooler.html?tl=g30c87s144
    and the core to 772...or even 800, geez maybe i am a Newb at Overclocking :gape: Thanks for the suggestions and no luck on a dual moniter setup right? Have u even tried it with crossfire...ah u are using the Dongle so scratch that :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  9. -HaRdCoRE-

-HaRdCoRE- Banned

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 GTX
    Lane a few more questions for You! 1) Do You have crossfire enabled or disabled when you oc your cards? and 2) You up the 1950 in winclk incrementally right?, like all other oc'ing programs except atitool once you already have a profile..? It will let me only go up about 5 mhz on the core at a time...usually like to do 2mhz at a time and 9 at a time on the memory. I did the 1900xt in ati tool, didn't shut it down because i wanted to read temps...did my conservative 702/802 and then when i did the 1950xtx i went up to about 1100 but when i did the core over 700 it locked up my comp...hmmm. Also i can only run artifact tester in .25 b14 if it is in crossfire...geez i hope i am not confusing you :OP! Also a wierd one but in ati tool it read my 1900xt on bus3 and in winclock it read bus 3 as my 1950xtx, should i have both of these programs running at the same time?

P.s. If i was in Switzerland or you were in the States I would have to buy you a coffee or a drink for helping me out! :boozer:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  10. mcdermots1

mcdermots1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Titan X Pascal
    Quick question guys,
    I've been away from the PC world for a few months so I'd appreciate an answer..
    I'm running a HIS X1900 Mastercard and an X1900XTX.........can I run the crossfire setup without the dongle these days ? or do I still need to have it ?
    The reason I ask, is becasue I've always noticed a sligh waviness at the top of my screen whenever I'm in 3D mode and I want to rule out the dongle as a factor..
    Cheers..

11. -HaRdCoRE-

-HaRdCoRE- Banned

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 GTX
    90% Sure You can run it through software man, I would benchmark it with the Dongle...3dmark(s) and then try it with the newest drivers.see if software crossfire gives you a performance hit..You will know it works if u see the Crossfire option in the Control Center. Good Luck Man

12. moralneeeick

moralneeeick New Member

GPU:
    ATI X1950 XTX XFire
    Crossfire Issue please pelase help!

Hi first of all here is my setup:

Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi Edition

Gigabtye X1950 XTX Crossfire Master (Top Slot)
    Conected to Dell 3007 WFP via Main Crossfire Cable

Asus X1950 XTX Slave (Bottom Slot)
    Connected to IIyama Monitor on Secondary Output

As you can imagine I am a little miffed that crossfire does not work, given my setup and the dent it has put in my wallet :-(

Basically when I enable crossfire all seems well, until I run a game. I get coruption like I have never seen before on my main monitor, I can only describe it as the effect you see when you mess with the arial plug on the back of a VCR (Old skool I know). Its not artifacts, and it does not cause BSOD, but games are unplayable as a result.

I have seen coments about quality of cables, but surely the Dell cable is adequate?

Maybe its my Hardware? I don't know where to start.......

13. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    mcdermots:

You can run without the dongle with some models, not sure it work really with high end model, it seems yes.. but: i think the perf should be decreased if yes.

hardcore:900mhz for memory speed (902mhz, alone,,.. in cfire it will be reduced, i don't know if it it's heat..... 891mhz is working fine).. you know it's the type of overclocking many peoples with the XTX.. i have see the max at more of 920mhz (GDDR3) under water.. for the core it's between 800/820mhz.. but a good 770 mhz on core and 870/880 for DDR3 is really good too.

for winclock, i have just need make tests, (after pass from the single X1900XTX to CF with the master X1950) i know under water ( 2x Coolmatic Innovatek full cover with memory, core and the Voltage).. i can go easy higher of 750mhz/772mhz DDR), so i have begin here.. then up and will continue up.. i know it's normally stable at more of 772mhz on core.. so i can work much again.. Now i have just install a PSU with enough power for be sure don't be in trouble.. i let you imagine the power need for 2x X19xx OC, and a CD2 at 1.65-1.7V for 4100-4200mhz,, during a 3D bench..I just wait my new DDR kit ( Cellshock 8000C4, Micron D9GKX), for redo bench with 3D06-05-03-01 etc..

- I have allways the Cfire enabled.

- I have see too that... in real after close a soft or another you will see what was the good, cause the other is show with the speed overclocked.

-for lock, the voltage or temp.., it should depend of the GPu's.. all peoples have need use different voltage for the X1900-X1950 when OC for stability..

-for Artefact, Not sure the X1950 is not compatible well with 25.14b., and i OC only for bench and never test artefact..

I m here for help.. thanks for the coffee..lol

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    moral...

your dongle Y cable should be really well fixed, try perhaps reinstall it.. if you have an other cable for your monitor... try it ( even if it's not a DVI...) what's your PSU (Amp and Watts,) cause it can be the source of major prob and corruption .with Cfire

I know some have got prob with the DVI cable or the type of connection with their monitor... in other thing, i have see too it was the dongle have a prob..
    But it's so rarely.... i will try perhaps looking if all is installed well,( try reinstalle the GPU in PCI express slots.. and if it don't solve the prob, looking too for test each card separetely... really take a real attention on how should be installed the Dongle..

in last:
    I will too contact the constructor of your GPU's.. they have perhaps have the same case, and tell you how solve it..

15. moralneeeick

moralneeeick New Member

GPU:
    ATI X1950 XTX XFire
    I am using a 700 want Antec PSU with one of those FSB 300w power boosters soley for the graphics cards. I have tried reintsalling the Y cable, but I have not tried another monitor lead.

I will try this when I get home and post back then....

Thanks

16. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    ok good PSU, but have you try only with the 700W? and i like your monitor too...(, should be really nice for play..)

17. hutchiepogo

hutchiepogo New Member

GPU:
    twin x1650xt
    hello,
    i have just built a new machine, amd skt939 4800+, with crossfire board, so i bought two saphire x1650xt's, now after a long search managed to find somwhere that sold the molex connectors, (they dont come in box???) they installed very easy and very well, only for me to find that i need a 3200 chipset to run crossfire, my question is, why do boards with twin 16x pci-e slots and crossfire written on the board exist if they dont let you actually crossfire two 16x graphics card, i hope you can inform me because while im baffled at the set-up im also very annoyed at forking out the money for a board that creates the illution it does something but it doesn't. cheers hutchie

18. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    cheap set up

dear sirs,
    i have a x1600 pro crossfire and it works without dongle cable.i also so have a silent and fan cooled unit.(there is no problem with that kind of crossfire)the asus x1600 pros are cheap and work pritty good for cash as iam waiting for dx 10 radeons to finish pc...i run most games with
    (4x aa and 8x anastropic) ATI Tray Tools Benchmark results.
    Benchmark finished at04 Feb 2007 17:04
    Device Radeon X1600 Series (0x71C2)
    GPU : 2504.34
    MEM : 1962.86
    Final Score =1652.65
    dont know if it was bench the crossfired pair...think this is one card

hutchie...think the mobo you have only suports pciex8 when crossfired..i hate telling people bad news:ban:..but i think you can have a pcix4 physics card...or just add a x1300 and use as physics

heres my question...you know the physics idea radeon have, by means of adding a 3rd card....could i add 1?....would a SAPHIRE 11003-06-20 7000 64MB PCI ...be useable as one..or a RADEON X1650XT Dual GPU, 512MB GDDR3, HDCP Edition..as one?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  19. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    I will wait they begin really relese it before do any plan about this... specially now the DirectX 10 Gpu' will arrive..

ATi have say a 1600 can be use, but like the result will depend of the GPU used... better the card is, better result will be... really at your place i will wait a little bit...

20. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    dear sir,
    could i have a look at your bench mark score to compair please?

Just installing net.framework 3.0 ...see what happens.

i like the score the x2900 seems to have vs the geforce 8800...128 vs 158...thats going to be good hope prices are.