Space Games?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Jazza104, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Jazza104

Jazza104 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1GB 4870
  2. shodai

shodai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7950gt 550/1400 w/vf900
  3. Jazza104

Jazza104 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1GB 4870
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Im looking at EVE now, looks good, but it's going to cost me $20AUD per month!!

4. shodai

shodai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7950gt 550/1400 w/vf900
    Well, it is an MMO.. a strategy MMO, to be precise. I played it for a few months, just wasn't my style. I think they have a 14 day trial, though. :)

5. Jazza104

Jazza104 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1GB 4870
    For me $20AUD is a bit too much for my liking to spend every month. I might get Homeworld 2 off a mate, any mods I should get?

6. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    The Warlords mod ( full star wars conversion mod )

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    EVE is the only thing that comes to mind. Try Space Quest if you are really desperate (a good adventure game about 15 years old).

8. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    x3 the reunion was ok. its only 20$ now USD can get it on Valves Steam

Its a very pretty game, gameplay is ok, but it doesnt give you that huge space feel, everything feels like small cause its all in sectors. theres no long distance space travel

If you dont mind jumping in a time machine and playing a MUCH older space game, then independance war 2 was really fun, i never got to finish it though, its long got to mission 32 or something and stopped. IF you can find it, it shouldnt cost you more than 5-10$ usd. bargin bin thing.
    PS the graphics are kinda old, kinda buggy, mods arent that great, but has a huge space feel to it.

9. simonknight

simonknight Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS OC AGP
    X2: The Threat and X3: Reunion- Great trading games, but they're mainly that, trading games. And they are extremely complicated and have a very large learning curve untill you figure out the best prices for everything. Combat comes completely secondary and you won't have that many space battles. But if you work at it long enough, build up your trade empire, you can get a carrier with a full complement of fighters and can have all out brawls in enemy sectors. Has the largest variety of ships. 12 different classes of ships, and each of the 5 main races has at least one of each. I give both 3 of 4 stars.

Darkstar One - A more combat oriented game. Trading is very simple like in Freelancer. You can find missions in space stations like in Freelancer. However, you only ever get one ship, but it is completely customizable. I give 2.5 of 4 stars.

Independence War 1 - A captial ship space sim. You command a large corvette class vessel in a future war. You have different sub sections of the ship that you can go to to help operate the ship. Such as a weapon section so you can fire in multiple directions instead of just in front of you. I give 4 of 4 stars.

Independence War 2 - No real trading. You're a space pirate, so you loot cargo from vessels. The only trading comes in that you use items you have looted to buy new weapons and upgrades for your ship. But you are stuck in one ship for large portions of the game and have no way to change ships.
    I give 3 of 4 stars.
    Starlancer - Purely space combat game. You're in a space navy and go on one mission after the other so no free roaming. Made by Chris Roberts, the guy who made Wing Commander, and just as good. The game that Freelancer is a sequel too. Good variety of very different ships. I give 4 of 4 stars.

Freespace 2 - Another pure space combat game, but I won't wet your appetite with all the details since you cannot buy the game anymore, unless you want to pay $60USD from Ebay for it, or obtain it through more nefarious means. But I will say, 5 of 4 stars for this one.

Eve - It's an MMO so combat is point and click. Tried the 14 day trial, saw how it was played, and quit so I don't have much info on it.

Homeworld and Homeworld 2 - Both are classic RTS games. I give both 4 of 4 stars.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident - Another good space strategy game. You start out with a small vesel doing cargo runs and what not and move up to a fleet of large captial ships. I give 4 of 4 stars.

Never got a chance to play Hegemonia though.

That's all the good space games that have been released in the last 7 years. Sad isn't it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  10. Jazza104

Jazza104 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1GB 4870
    Thanks for the long and detailed reply simonknight!

I have tried X3 but as you said, the difficulty curve is pretty high and I just gave up out of frustration after about 15 minutes.

I'm going to give Homeworld 2 a go later on.

I remember playing a 3D Space RTS back in the Voodo Banshee days on my friends computer, Star Trek Armarda or something. Are there any games like that (3D Space RTS) coming out in the near future? I think I recall seeing a video of one from E3 a year or so back, might of been Star Trek something or other.

11. simonknight

simonknight Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS OC AGP
    I added the RTS games I've played at the end. I was just thinking about the sim games at first. So if you haven't looked again, Nexus:The Jupiter Incident is one you really might want to check out.

12. k4t4n4

k4t4n4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    B
    StarCraft

13. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Don't forget Imperium Galactica 1 and 2, the Master of Orion series, Galactic Civilizations 1 & 2 and Star Control 1 and 2! ;)

14. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Freespace series FTW

15. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    Does anyone know if a mission based combat space sim is in the works anywhere? The genre seems to have died off since Freespace 2.

Starlancer and Freespace 2 are among my favourite games , but I was left rather unimpressed by the lack of large scale mission based combat when I was playing Freelancer / Darkstar One and any of the X series.

There seem to be a few small publishers knocking out space sims , one I tried was Starshatter and to be honest it is one of the worst games Ive ever played.

16. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Orbiter- Free space flight simulator. Not really a game though. www.orbitersim.com

Star Wars: Empire at War- RTS with space mode.

Star Trek Legacy- Looks interesting but not our yet.

17. MechWarrior

MechWarrior Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Classified Sli OC
  18. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    I love space games, I've had my EvE subscription for 2 years now. The economic concept in the game is just beautiful. The only gripe I have is the social factor. Once you get good you move away - from the popular area and into contested space - hostile territory is where the big $$ is. Gets your blood pumping when your brand spanking new battleship worth hundreds of millions, outfitted with billion dollar components is about to get taken out by 30 other enemy merc's hired by a rival corporation to move you out of the system.

19. Jazza104

Jazza104 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1GB 4870
  20. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    True that. Freespace 2 is without a doubt the best space sim ever.