Logitech Z-5500 , Speaker's Channel Problem !

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Marri, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Im in serious trouble...

After 5 hours of struggling , I'm still stuck with the intial setup...
    In short...
    My ''Right rear Channel'' is working as a left rear..I've tried all my speakers through my right rear socket with no difference...
    I spotted this through the Creative driver's ''Channel Tester'' Im having trouble running the channel tester for the right rear speaker..

All my speakers work...even the one that does'nt say "Rear Right Channel"

Through the Audigy's Driver/Speakers Settings/Channel and Noise Test..

I hear the sound for the center,front left,front right,rear left channels...during the Noise and Channel test..but no sound for the rear right's..
    The weird thing is that when Sound for the Left Rear Channel comes up both my rear speakers say "rear left channel" even the one thats hooked into the right rear socket...
    it skips the right rear speach during the channel test and sounds during the Rear lefts...

I've set things to 5.1 through windows and the drivers...

Its like mono rare sound!!! my system doesn't tell apart from my rare speakers...they give out the same sound and dont know how to have the two distinguish their work..

Logitech Control Pannel Settings
    Input: Direct
    Effect:6 CH Direct
    Leve/Center = middle

I took the Subwoofer connections out for both my Rear Speakers...excluded the Rear Left Connection , leaving it empty...
    Just connected the wire in the Rear Right's input connection..

Now even though there's only one speaker connected and that also in the Rear Right socket it still says Rear Left Channel during the test , while skipping it's supposed Rear Right turn during the test...

I hope you undersatand my horrible english...

Are my speakers imputs faulty !!!!

thanks...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  2. Telrin

Telrin Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 250 GTS
    when you do the test thru the control panel of the logitech z5500, do all the speakers work fine?

im kinda having a hard problem understanding what you said but here's my experience
    when i first bought Z5500, my problem was that my left rear wouldn't work with my computer. but when i did the test thru the control panel of the z5500, it would work.

apparently, the problem for my set of speakers was because the wiring that connected to my computer, the yellow, black, green wires were defective.

so, if the speakers work thru z5500 control panel, you probably got the same problem as me.

3. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for posting , Im having a problem with my Right Rear Speaker...
    It doesn't work when doing channel tests...

My right rear is workings as a left rear speaker , acting along with my left rear..

I dont have any games installed as yet but I bet that I wont be hearing sounds coming in from the right rear corner in games...throguh my right rear speaker...instead I'd be getting both my rear speakers giving out sounds of the left rear side of the game.....
    In other works its like getting mono sound through both my rear speakers..

Another weird thing is that...
    Songs with Effects set to 6CH Direct makes four speakers work excluding the center speaker but setting it to music I get the fifth speaker to work...this probably is normal...

I might have another set of cables in my house will look for them...I hope that works..
    I wasn't able to do tests through the Logitech Control Pannel....cant find it...but if that means testing things to all the various sound settings like stereox1,x2,x3 and playing things through Direct non seem to help fix...

here's a link to the sort of problem Im having...
    http://forums.creative.com/rss/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=62676

Thanks...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  4. Telrin

Telrin Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 250 GTS
    hrm... i guess..
    i sugguest just checking your wiring over again.
    you probably have a defective Z5500, if so, just use the waranty and get a new set.

5. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Flip the wires around for your front and rear channels. Like plug the green wire where the black wire was, and vice versa. That way you can see if the channels are indeed distinct or not. This should help narrow down the problem to either a sound card issue, a speaker issue, or a wire issue. From there you can act accordingly.

6. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Tried flipping the Green and Black wires got the same results..
    Tried switching the wires from one speaker to another got the same results....
    Tried most of every thing I could think about...still ended up with the same problem...

I've noticed the problem being even bigger when settting things to 'movie mode' and 'music mode' through its Control Pannel as they too seem to be causing issues of similar sort with the other speakers...
    Like if i set things to movie mode , both my rear speakers stop working along with the center speaker during the channel test...

Damn...but when i play music and watch movies they all work...
    but probably the channels aren't being distrubuted accordingly...as described by the channel testing software...

the damn speakers say made in China....so being faulty should well be expected...

Will either replace or refund these...

Other then that according to the kind of sound I'm getting , If thats true of its sound quality...Im a bit dissapointed since every review seems to be claming its excellence...

I have a 4.1 Klipsch Promedia set...the sound quality of those speakers are better and ofcourse the build quality is far better..
    The Klipsch dont sound flat and distorted...where as the Z-5500's do...
    But the logitech's have great base...more like the subwoofers for cars..
    Watching movies on the Z-5500 could be impressive compaired to the klipsch....because of its roaring and bulky stretchy base...there's a long pull and push with the base...
    But for music the Klipsch win for sure..

The 'external stands' for the Z5500 are made out of cheap plastic...they look really cool in pictures but are horrible in real life espicially from underneath..
    The sound it produces isn't in any way bad but its not as great as the klipsch Promedia's..
    Klipsch play more open and crisp...
    If u put your ears up close to the speakers of the two you'll know what im talking about..
    The promedia's dont hurt my ears where as the Z5500's do
    because of throwing sounds in a less orginised manner , meaning in a very distorted fashion...
    Or maybe its because my speakers aren't working correctly or something...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006