X-FI - what went wrong?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by psy_parasite, Jun 22, 2006.

1. psy_parasite

psy_parasite Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950x2 OC
    Yeah so ive been a long time user of creative productions since 8bit soundblaster. These current windows xp xfi drivers are not acceptable. Constant sound crackling & muting. I have to toggle between enterainment mode, and game mode to fix the problem. Often when i do this the sounds gets jacked way up full of static.. enough static noise to destroy speakers,

Creative needs to think smart, people buy there products to play games with eax, and have decent sound quality. They need to hire some high-end programmers to give them some much needed help. Ive heard there are some new drivers in the works but who knows. So far the latest beta's are even worse than previous versions.

the real pissoff is I think the x-fi card is decent enough card but it all comes down to the drivers.

2. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    Try either enabling SVM or putting a fan to blow across the X-fi. No crackling here.

3. Ultraq

Ultraq Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT AGP
    Seems to me that you're one of the unlucky few who experience crackling noises from their X-Fi's. Do a search for a bunch of known remedies (muting inputs, SVM, etc) - some people have reported such things to work for them.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    It's very unfortunate but if you remember back there is always issues with each card that comes out. The Audigy 2's had their problems and the Adigy 1 squealed to death. Alot of times it's the software but in a few cases it the hardware or the interactions with your other hardware.

5. nascarmike

nascarmike Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870
    I have had absoulty no problems with mine (Fatality) so I am not even going to think about newer drivers till some time passes.

6. 1stGuyNut

1stGuyNut Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512MB
    User error???

7. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Wow I was seriously thinking about replacing my Old Trusty SB Live (whit kX Driver) to a X-FI music.
    But, eh.. not sure anymore.

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
  9. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Yes when I read the thread I did a Massive research on the net and found stuff I don't like. Don't remember what or it's just not available here in Québec Canada.

10. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    On Second tauths, it really seems like a Super product!
    And I found an Online place to buy, bought my 6800GS from them, so im Happy!
    Screw Creative.
    I'll wait for the X-Purity

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Guru3D is reviewing it for us when it comes out. So it' really your choice but I would atleast wait and read the review. Hope that helps.

12. ¬69er

¬69er Master Guru

GPU:
    Ge5900Ultra
    You might be relieved to hear there is a new X-Fi driver now ;)
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=188594