Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The HTPC, HDTV & High Definition section
The HTPC, HDTV & High Definition section Home Theater PC Enthusiasts or want to talk in High-Definition ? This is Guru3Ds Premier Community of HD and HTPC.

PC gaming on HDCP displays?
Old
  (#1)
Weavols

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default PC gaming on HDCP displays? - 03-01-2006, 02:49 | posts: 1

I recently ordered a Mitsubishi HC3000u 720p dlp projector for the purpose of playing PC games on a big a$$ screen. It hasn't arrived yet so in my free time i've been doing a lot of reading on the technology and stumbled upon this article.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/..._hdcp_support/

This has me worried that i wont be able to connect the projector HDMI-DVI to the pc (BFG 7800gtx256) and run at 720p. I'm not worried about playing HD-DVD or blue ray, simply gaming. Does anyone understand this technology well enough to explain what limitations I will encounter because of HDCP being in the projector and not the vid card?

Old
  (#2)
Joey
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2600XT + Panasonic S10
Processor: Intel C2D 2.4Ghz Q6600
Mainboard: Foxconn G33M ATX
Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) 800Mhz Corsai
Soundcard: X-fi ExMusic + Logitech Z
PSU: Dell 350Watt.
Default 03-01-2006, 04:49 | posts: 4,183 | Location: Cambridge, England

That won't be a problem at all. Don't worry about it. The HDCP means that the DLP will be 'compliant' with the protection scheme. If it isn't required by the content then it will make no difference to the normal HDMI/DVI operation.
Also HDCP will only affect video play back, XP doesn't even support it so you not run into any problems. All HDCP is, is an encrpytion of the bit stream between sources. Nothing uses it at the moment, it only applies to HD video. (Hopefully)
DVI and HDMI are the same, HDMI adds audio and has small connectors. They can be interchanged as much as you like.

Old
  (#3)
GenClaymore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Evga 780 Dual 1202/3305
Processor: I5 3570k @4.7Ghz SA SB-E
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
Memory: 30nm 2x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Omni Opt>uber>LD MKII>T90
PSU: Cosair 850watt RM850
Default 03-01-2006, 07:50 | posts: 5,374 | Location: Michigan,usa

It will be in windows vista and it will only effect HD-DVD and Blu-ray DVD movies. normal DVD movies will; play fine without it in vista.

Old
  (#4)
HanShot1st
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x 4870 512mb DDR5
Processor: Phenom 9500 @2.5 (229x11)
Mainboard: Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 (F6)
Memory: 2x2gb DDR2 @458mhz 5-5-5
Soundcard:
PSU: OCZ PowerStream520
Default 03-01-2006, 20:29 | posts: 1,153

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydoo
That won't be a problem at all. Don't worry about it. The HDCP means that the DLP will be 'compliant' with the protection scheme. If it isn't required by the content then it will make no difference to the normal HDMI/DVI operation.
Also HDCP will only affect video play back, XP doesn't even support it so you not run into any problems. All HDCP is, is an encrpytion of the bit stream between sources. Nothing uses it at the moment, it only applies to HD video. (Hopefully)
DVI and HDMI are the same, HDMI adds audio and has small connectors. They can be interchanged as much as you like.

HDCP isn't really encryption, it's a handshake scheme or a flag. The HDCP player and the HDCP display constantly communicate back and forth every few seconds. If the player does not get the handshake from the display every few seconds, the picture will drop out.

Furthermore, almost all HD equipment now uses HDCP, most cable and satellite boxes, most ATSC tuners, all upconverting DVD players sold in the U.S. must use HDCP over their digital outs and none are supposed to upconvert over component. All BRD and HD-DVD will use HDCP as well. Basically everything manufactured now will be HDCP compliant and if it has HDMI, it is virtually a given to be HDCP compliant.

Old
  (#5)
HanShot1st
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x 4870 512mb DDR5
Processor: Phenom 9500 @2.5 (229x11)
Mainboard: Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 (F6)
Memory: 2x2gb DDR2 @458mhz 5-5-5
Soundcard:
PSU: OCZ PowerStream520
Default 03-01-2006, 20:33 | posts: 1,153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavols
Does anyone understand this technology well enough to explain what limitations I will encounter because of HDCP being in the projector and not the vid card?
Zero, HDCP compliant displays are 100% backwards compatible with non-HDCP sources.