Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Want to talk about anything Hardware related? This is the place, you can discuss it here.

Fried agp slot?
Old
  (#1)
Yakspawn
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA 8800GT 512
Processor: Intel C2D E4400 @ 2.65 GH
Mainboard: Foxconn G33M-S
Memory: 2x OCZ PC2 6400 1GB 5-5-5
Soundcard: Creative Xmod
PSU: Antec NeoPower 550
Default Fried agp slot? - 02-25-2006, 21:46 | posts: 302 | Location: Florida

......so i dropped a screw on my videocard near the agp slot and the comp froze and when i restarted there was no video. The screw hit some metal pins on the card and i think it could have fried the slot. Im currently running on an old geforce2 mx400 and it really sucks. I tried a 6600gt in the slot and it didnt work, so do u think it is fried? If so, th mb is an asrock 939 dual sata which has a pci express slot, so do u think i could just buy a pci express card and it would work?

also do u think my 6800 is fried to, i cant test it cause my other agp system is a mini case and it doesnt fit

Old
  (#2)
Royicus
Ancient Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-26-2006, 00:36 | posts: 4,149

Hard to say what is fried and what isn't. The only way to really do it practically is to just try a card. I guess you could test resistances of each pin, but that would take forever as there are tons of pins to test.

I'd try to find a friend that had the hardware you need to troubleshoot your system. Trial and error is the way to go here.

And even if your other AGP system is in a mini case, take it out of the case and test your card.