Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything Catalyst related. AMD Catalyst drivers are for all AMD ATI based graphics cards. This is also the place to discuss modified Catalyst drivers.

What is "ATi video bios poller client"?
Old
  (#1)
Flav_cool

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Exclamation What is "ATi video bios poller client"? - 02-17-2006, 08:03 | posts: 4

This piece of **** app has been causing me many problems.

I have a dell inspiron 9300 w/ a 128MB ATi X300. Basically, after a fresh restart, my laptop's screen doesn't shut off when I close the lid and neither does powerplay work. If I log off my windows account, "ATi Video Bios Poller client" is not responding, and I end task it. After I log back in, the screen shuts off, powerplay works, and everything is great.

BUT now another problem creeps up.The new problem is that one of the 2 ati2evxx.exe instances keeps spiking up to ~25% cpu usage at REGULAR intervals, which aren't always the same. Sometimes the intervals are 15 seconds, sometimes a minute. This causes video stuttering exactly at these times.

If I don't end task to the ATi video bios poller client (which I don't know what it's called or if it's even visible in task manager, the only way I see it is when it doesn't respond when I log off), the cpu usage on ati2evxx.exe never spikes up.

I have tried different drivers, properly installed (and cleaned w/ driver cleaner pro too), but the problem remains.

Help!

Old
  (#2)
Jeng
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA nvidia 9800
Processor: Athlon64 6400+ Black
Mainboard: ABIT AN-M2
Memory: 2x2gig patriot
Soundcard:
PSU: Antec 650W TRIO
Default 02-17-2006, 12:23 | posts: 222 | Location: Austin

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

Old
  (#3)
Flav_cool

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-17-2006, 16:16 | posts: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeng
Ok I downloaded that, ran it, looked around...but can't even find "ATi video bios poller client"

One other thing I forgot to mention is that it loads after windows logon, and ONLY ONCE. That is, if I log off, it stops responding, and I end task it, when I log back in, it doesn't start up again, or at least it isn't a problem anymore, EXCEPT for ati2evxx.exe from my user account which spikes up in CPU usage every now and then.

Old
  (#4)
Jeng
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 02-20-2006, 02:14 | posts: 222 | Location: Austin

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html

This might help you locate what you need to delete to get rid of it.

Old
  (#5)
Jeng
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 02-20-2006, 06:27 | posts: 222 | Location: Austin

Found some more information for ya

http://process.networktechs.com/ati2evxx.exe.php

Quote:
What is it?
ATI External Event Utility EXE Module AKA ATI Hotkey Poller - ati2evxx.exe

What does it do?
ati2evxx.exe - This process provides optional features that the majority of us really couldn't care less about. The XT's overdrive feature uses this. If you have an XT you'll probably want to leave this on.

This is installed as a service so you'll need to do the following to disable:
Start --> Run --> services.msc
Find ATI Hotkey Poller and double click it.
Change the startup type to disabled