Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > Rivatuner Generic Discussion forum > RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum
RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum This forum is intended for advanced comments, ideas and general discussion of the RivaTuner Utility which is hosted here at the Guru of 3D. This forum is visited by programmer himself - you can only post in this area with a minimum of 10 posts and 7 days forum membership.

WORKING solution to 7800gt fan speed problem
Old
  (#1)
lenne
Master Guru

Videocard: 290x ref @ Accelero V4
Processor: i5 2500k @ 4,3 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77
Memory: Corsair DDR3 1600 4x4gb
Soundcard: SB Recon 3D
PSU: Corsair 750w
Default WORKING solution to 7800gt fan speed problem - 02-08-2006, 12:14 | posts: 349 | Location: Germany

as many of the 7800gt users know quite well theres a significant problem with some cards: the fan control simply doesnt works at all, causing sounds like an old hair dryer, or only works after an significant amount of senseless resets.

As an result neither rivatuner nor any other speed control works.

as proposed by the author of rivatuner its a driver related problem which could only resolved by a new fixed set of drivers by nvidia, but this is definitive NOT the cause.

The solution goes a little deeper into the hardware layout of the nvidia "referenzdesign" dunno exact translation think its "normal layout of card given by nvidia" or somwhat like that
when the card was designed there somehow was an not, or bad working "transistor" used, the q524 in some cases it doesnt switches and by that permits the fan control.

But as i mentioned theres a solution for this problem as given by a german GIGABYTE tech ( big thanks to "JZ" ) it is possible to bypass this "transistor" by simply removing it, and close a small bridge on the card.

Heres a picture of the card to make it easier for u to locate the transistor and the bridge: http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/board...eige&suchwort=
Its copletely in german so ill try to translate the most important information:

The transistor q524 (this little black horizontal "box" ) have to be cut of (u could use a sharp knive) (sounds worse than it is actually, i even managed to keep it completely intact, for later gurantee issues, cause u will loose it if u do it by urself)
after that u have to close the contact between the two little metallic dots right above the transistor, there a many ways to do that, i did it with "silberleitlack" which is actually an conducting liquid, dunno exact english translation.

After these changes as soon as the driver loads up ( me uses 81.91 )
the card becomes amazing silent everything works, rivatuner, the fan profiles i made for temperature depending fan speeds etc, to put it in words i love it

A drawback of this solution (which is as far as i know the only way to get the fan speed controlable )is that u loose ur waranty, but if u remove the "transistor) completely intact, one coult maybe put it back to the card at a later point to avoid any problems

have phun

Old
  (#2)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-08-2006, 12:22 | posts: 11,516 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Thanks for extremely useful info, mate. Making the thread sticky.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#3)
Stratrix

Videocard: XFX 7800GT
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
Mainboard: MSI SLi-F (MS-7185)
Memory: Corsair Value Series 1024x1
Soundcard:
PSU: Antec TruePower II 550W
Default 02-14-2006, 05:36 | posts: 3

did anybody have any success trying this method? or have people used another solution that doesn't void the warranty?

Old
  (#4)
lenne
Master Guru

Default 02-15-2006, 15:50 | posts: 349 | Location: Germany

at last one replay, thought more people are intrested in this topic...

There are many more people that tried this solution which worked for all of them, u could have found this out by carefully studiing the german forum i linked

just kiddin, i wouldn have done this if i werent shure that it works and, obviously it works (as long as u have the original board layout of the 7800)

Old
  (#5)
Stratrix

Soundcard:
Default 02-16-2006, 04:14 | posts: 3

i can't read german and even babelfish doesn't seem to work properly >_<"

i want to apply this mod, but i'm unsure of the exact procedures, did u do the mod urself?

Old
  (#6)
ilias

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-16-2006, 14:03 | posts: 2

Thank you for your thread, it did definitely interest me as I have this problem with my MSI NX7800GT card. But as many of us I'm not ready to do this modification to my card. The question is, if I rma my card will I get a new card without this problem? Are the manufacterers of the these cards even aware of the problem? I have posted to the msi support but all they told me was, do a rpm check. The fan should slow down when no applications run in your OS?! :/...well I can hear that it's spinning with the same speed and it's very loud. I don't, however, know how to do a rpm check?!
Regards

Old
  (#7)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-16-2006, 14:31 | posts: 11,516 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

You won't be able to check RPM, reference design 7800GTs are not equipped either with 3-wire fan or with tachometer reading capable sensor.

Last edited by Unwinder; 02-16-2006 at 15:30.

Old
  (#8)
lenne
Master Guru

Default 02-16-2006, 19:31 | posts: 349 | Location: Germany

Yes ive done it by myself, otherwise i wouldnt have posted it here, i didnt want to post things that are messing up hardware
the mod itself is wuite easy, just as i described it, remove q524 with a knive and connect the two points right above q524 with conductive paste or something

some manufactors (as gigabyte germany) are aware of the problem and repair (do the same as i described) ur cards, but i dunno which that are

Last edited by lenne; 02-16-2006 at 19:33.

Old
  (#9)
Stratrix

Soundcard:
Default 02-17-2006, 02:09 | posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenne
Yes ive done it by myself, otherwise i wouldnt have posted it here, i didnt want to post things that are messing up hardware
the mod itself is wuite easy, just as i described it, remove q524 with a knive and connect the two points right above q524 with conductive paste or something

some manufactors (as gigabyte germany) are aware of the problem and repair (do the same as i described) ur cards, but i dunno which that are
sweet, i will take a look at my card tonight. Not sure if it'll work because people on the XFX forum say that the q524 does not exist. Again, i'll take a look tonight. SWEET!

Old
  (#10)
ilias

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-22-2006, 08:24 | posts: 2

Has anyone else tried this with success? Me myself wrote an email to the msi support in the netherlands and I got this reply

Dear customer,

The thread looks interesting. I didn't hear about the problem up to now. I forwarded it to our HQ to check. I will contact you when I have a reply.

So hopefully something will happen soon!

Old
  (#11)
comrads

Videocard: XFX 7800gt@ 450mhz
Processor: AMD Opteron 165@ 2.43ghz
Mainboard: DFI NF4 Ultra-D
Memory: G.Skill PC4400
Soundcard: AC'97/SB Live! 5.1
PSU: Antec NeoPower 550w
Default 02-22-2006, 08:54 | posts: 13

luckily its not a problem for me, is this meant to have been a problem that affects all gt's or did it only affect the 1st generation? BHecause I;ve only just got mine couple of weeks ago.

Old
  (#12)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-22-2006, 09:19 | posts: 11,516 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilias
Has anyone else tried this with success?
I've not tried that myself as I don't have 7800GT with faulty fan control. However, I've forwared this thread to many russian techsupport forums and already got confirmations that the workaround really works.

The workaround provided in this thread seems pretty logical for me, because AFAIK the transistor mentioned above is a part of fan control circuit and it dedicated for fan thermal bypassing (PWM fan control can be disabled by thermal alert signal, in this case fan will work at full speed regardless of programmed duty cycle).

Old
  (#13)
Lord Banshee
Master Guru

Videocard: X1950XT 512 @ FireGL 7350
Processor: Opteron 165 OC @ 2.4GHz
Mainboard: DFI nf4 Ultra-D w/HR-05-SLI
Memory: 2x GSkill 1024MB DDR4000
Soundcard: SB X-FI XtremeGamer
PSU: Fortron Blue 500W
Default 02-25-2006, 00:10 | posts: 286

Couldn't you just connect each side of the transistor with a wire (ok a very small one) and not remove the transistor?

Current travels in the path of least resistance. Personally i do not know how a transistor works (yet.. that in the Fall lol) but i would assume it has some resistance then this should work right?? any EE or tech people here can confirm this?

Or is a transistor a memory state device and having the output connected to the input might give memory stored oscillations(sp?) effect.

Just wondering

Old
  (#14)
clokkevi
Master Guru

Videocard: GeForce GTX 680
Processor: Intel i7-920 D0 @3.8GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Memory: DDR3 Patriot 1600LL 12 GB
Soundcard: M-Audio FireWire 410
PSU: Corsair HX 1000
Default 02-26-2006, 17:04 | posts: 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Banshee
Couldn't you just connect each side of the transistor with a wire (ok a very small one) and not remove the transistor?

Current travels in the path of least resistance. Personally i do not know how a transistor works (yet.. that in the Fall lol) but i would assume it has some resistance then this should work right??
If the trick was to remove the transistor, then short-cut 2 of the remaining solder points ("collector" and "emitter") then your trick might maybe have worked.
But if you look at the picture, there are 2 other points that are to be short-cut'ed.
This solution does "the opposite" of short-cut'ing the transistor,
it makes no current at all go through the transistor anymore - since it is removed.

Last edited by clokkevi; 02-26-2006 at 17:06.

Old
  (#15)
Pieter Segers

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 04-05-2006, 18:45 | posts: 1

Hello,

I have a MSI 7800GT and have exact the same problem! The fan control doesn't work at all or work sometimes a little after many restarts.

I think I'll send the card back for warranty repair or replacement, it just too noisy and the fan speed control shoud just work. I've read on more forums that this is a common 7800GT problem.

Pieter

Last edited by Pieter Segers; 04-07-2006 at 21:45.

Did the mod
Old
  (#16)
jmsandrson

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default Did the mod - 04-15-2006, 21:12 | posts: 1

I have a BFG 7800GT as well and experienced the same problems with fan noise. Sometimes the drivers would kick in and slow the fan down and sometimes it would not.

I removed the the integrated as show in that picture and then I connected the 2 contacts above that area with conductive sliver paint and all is well now.

Thanks for the info!!

Now I have a similar type problem with the 7900GT. The drivers have never been able to slow the fan down with that card.

Old
  (#17)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 04-17-2006, 08:14 | posts: 11,516 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

jmsandrson

Quote:
Now I have a similar type problem with the 7900GT. The drivers have never been able to slow the fan down with that card.
Actually I've not yet seen any 7900GTs able to adjust fan speed. So either the fan control scheme is ripped from the PCB by design (most likely) or all 7900GT I've seen are affected by the same faulty transistor issue like 7800GT (unlikely).

Old
  (#18)
Acco

Videocard: XFX 7900GT
Processor: X2 3800+
Mainboard: A8N-E
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 04-17-2006, 11:52 | posts: 2 | Location: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder
Actually I've not yet seen any 7900GTs able to adjust fan speed. So either the fan control scheme is ripped from the PCB by design (most likely) or all 7900GT I've seen are affected by the same faulty transistor issue like 7800GT (unlikely).
Will Rivatuner 16 support fan control for the 7900GT cards. Since the XFX 7900GT has a pretty noisy fan, which runs at 100% all the time.

Old
  (#19)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 04-17-2006, 12:04 | posts: 11,516 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Have you tried to read the posting you've quoted?

Old
  (#20)
Acco

Videocard: XFX 7900GT
Processor: X2 3800+
Mainboard: A8N-E
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 04-17-2006, 12:11 | posts: 2 | Location: Germany

yes, i did...

I thought maybe there still would be a way to control the fan speed and since the new rivatuner hasn't been released yet i thought there still would be a chance.

And since I don't know if this "So either the fan control scheme is ripped from the PCB by design" means that there won't be any fan control possible at all. I thought I just might ask.

Last edited by Acco; 04-17-2006 at 12:30.

Old
  (#21)
Jay_Man

Videocard: XFX 8800 GTS 640MB in SLI
Processor: Q6600 @ 3000MHZ
Mainboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI
Memory: OCZ 4GB @ 1000MHz
Soundcard:
PSU: ODIN 800W GT
Default 04-19-2006, 14:48 | posts: 12 | Location: South Africa

I dont know if this will solve my problem, I have an ASUS EN7800GT Extreme, alot of people have said that this card is very noise... Mine is not... In rivatuner it says that my fans are running at 25%, If I put it on 100% it doesnt make a difference.

Is it possible that my card's fan has been locked on a slower speed and will this hardware mod enable me to increase the fan speed

Old
  (#22)
Burnt_Ram
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 580 SLi
Processor: Core i5 @ 4.2 H20 Cooled
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D Deluxe
Memory: G.Skill RipJaw 1600 2x4GB
Soundcard: Via HD 7.1
PSU: Corsair HX1050W
Default 05-05-2006, 15:59 | posts: 5,926 | Location: British Columbia

are their specific brands effected by this ? with just using NV drivers my fan never hits 100%, but with RivaTuner 15.8 it does! run's 50% idle, low perfomance 3d doesnt run at 75% like i have it set for but runs 100% instead (no biggie) and performance 3d runs @ 100%. never heard of this prob till i ran across this thread ....

Old
  (#23)
h4rb1ng3r

Videocard: XFX 7900GT 550/1630
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Mainboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE
Memory: CORSAIR TWINX2048-3500LLPRO
Soundcard: X-Fi Extreme Music
PSU: Antec NeoHE 500 watt
Default 06-13-2006, 23:33 | posts: 5 | Location: Healesville, Australia

has anyone else succeeded in doing this mod? im a little hesitant to try until more that one person in this thread can confirm that it works. I have a 7900GT from Xfx that has this prob. My 7800GT did not. Gimme back my 7800GT! :lol:

Old
  (#24)
A13X

Videocard: XFX GeForce 7800GT 256mb @490Mhz
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @2.6GHz
Mainboard: ASUS A8N-Sli
Memory: 1 GB Corsair XMS DDR400
Soundcard: Logitech X-230
PSU: Stock XION 450W
Default 07-04-2006, 20:18 | posts: 1 | Location: Philadelphia PA

Crap. I have this exact problem only I have an "extreeme edition" card with a black pcb and a totally different layout!! Does anyone know if there is a labeling on the transistor that has to be cut off?

Old
  (#25)
tm101
Member Guru

Videocard: Club3D 7800GT @ 473/1134
Processor: A64 X2 3800+@2830, 1.4v
Mainboard: Asus A8N SLI Premium (no 1T bug!)
Memory: 2x102mb MDT @ 283 MHz, 3-3-3-8-2T
Soundcard: CL X-Fi Music, M-Audio Delta 24/96
PSU: SS S12-430 @ Papst F/2GL
Default 10-27-2006, 18:15 | posts: 71

If you don't want to mess with your waranty (or you are using a 7900GT) there is another way to control your fan. Namely when your motherboard offers software-controllable fan-controllers that are supported by Speedfan. For the original fan you will need kind of an adapter (or make yourself one).

I am using a VF700 anyway, so I can connect that with my motherboard and give Speedfan control over it. Only drawback is that Speedfan is not able to read the temperature of your GT, so you will need to control it by CPU temperature. But that's fine for me since your CPU will always be busy and hotter whenever you stress your GT. It may happen that your GT fan is triggered when your CPU is doing alot of work on its own (without any 3D application running) like when calculating alot, but in these rare instances you can always at least use the manual controls of Speedfan to override any automatic settings.