Noob's fan speed guide to Rivatuner

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by boogieman, Dec 16, 2005.

1. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Noob's fan speed and clock speed guides to Rivatuner

With the help of folk's from this forum and Unwinder, here is my guide to setting up speed's using Rivatuner. This is a draft I put together Friday nite so I'm sure it can be picked to pieces. I think a lot of people are intimated with RT and I just couldn't find a reasonable guide to help us noob's along, so I attempted one. I also think it's valid enough, for now, to get your juices flowing in the right direction to set things up.
    I hope it helps folks see just how sweet this program is. :)

http://userweb.suscom.net/~msl/index.htm

Edit: Added OSD guide 1/21/06

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  2. Must Kill Ati

Must Kill Ati Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800le
    Nice work!

I have an on topic question that I have yet to see asked...for those of us that use watercooling, how does any of this affect us? I'm thinking that w/o the fan plugged in, there's no power being supplied...but I know next to nothing about the subject. If that's not the case, does the card attempt to supply power to the fan if our temps increase to the point where the fan would go on if it was still connected? If that's the case, would an option to turn off the fan help the card draw less power, reserving more for other functions?
    Hope that comes across clearly...the ?'s make sense in my head ;)

3. FanMan

FanMan Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 3870X2
    Uhh....my 15.8 says "Low Level System Settings" and there is no fan tab so i cannot do this, what does this mean?

4. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    As far as I know the fan needs plugged into the card for control. That's all I can offer.

5. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Wow, 148 views and no comments. I assumed if you tried the guide(s) it works OK ? Throw me a bone here.... :frown:

6. FanMan

FanMan Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 3870X2
    Uhh...i gave u a comment/question and have been waiting for a reply. ^^^

7. vietxtoker

vietxtoker Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS 640MB HR-03 @ 665/2150
    tried it, and works good. thx for the guide

8. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I'm not sure about the question.... can you clarify it better. No fan tab showing?

Hopefully Unwinder can answer...

9. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Thanks for the feedback vietxtoker.

10. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    deleted...................

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005

11. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Is it supposed to be there? There are only driver-level fan controls for most of 6800 series. Low-level fan control is only available on most of ATI display adapters and NVIDIA 7800GTX series.

1 person likes this.
  12. JAKAZZ

JAKAZZ Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800GT, IN SLI
    hello unwinder, dont bark please, lol.. i read the b-mans guides, both, great job and i really didnt know that rt was such an in depth utility till i saw that guide, and yes i've now used the context help.. and google to figure some things out.

c

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  13. FanMan

FanMan Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 3870X2
    uhh lol figured out how this works and i love ur tweak..amazing cuz ive been having heat problems thanks a lot!

three questions.

1. How bad is this for the fans. (especially throttling back and forth)
    2. Why does the cycle read half percents. (75.5, 55.5,100%)
    3. You said the windows startup box isnt necessary. Does this mean itll do this every time i start up windows anyway?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  14. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Assuming your directing this to me...Thanks ... but these are not my tweaks, they are Unwinder's.

1. I don't know but I suspect it should not be an issue. As I understand it, the fans would normally speed up and down by default anyway.
    2. If you've set them at whole numbers and they still read slightly off, you can adjust them with value offset in the fan duty cycle monitoring screen.
    3. As I've experienced it...yes. Values are stored in the registry as I know it.

15. VW_Factor

VW_Factor Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT SLI
    Is there anything off the top of your head that would cause the low level fan settings to cease working on a 7800GTX? Card in question is an eVGA 7800GTX KO.

16. FanMan

FanMan Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 3870X2
    another little issue i ran into....maybe i touched something? But whenever i load up rivatuner my fan is set at 45/45/45 rather than the stock 35/35/35.

Also is there a way i have to set the 3d mode temperature threshold thing or...........................whats going on because as soon as i load up it goes to 55 even though the temperature hasnt reached the threshold. It is reading the "3d mode" fan speed.

any guidance would be appreciated,

Thanks.

17. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Try this: create an .rtp file and put it in your start up folder of Windows to be sure that you have the clock and fan speeds set the way you want at start up.

Create a fan speed of say 353535% or whatever you want it to be in 2D startup of Windows.
    Go to Launcher, add new regular item.
    Name it Start up clocks/fans.
    Check Associated Preset towards the top of the screen.
    Click Create, and name the .rtp say "Windows start up in the start up folder.rtp"
    Check both fan and overclock box profiles and insert 353535% or what ever you made and 2D clocks you've made respectively. Click OK.
    Open Launcher. Right click the Start up clocks/fans and Create shortcut to menu item. (put's it on the desktop).
    Put the new rtp file shortcut in Windows Start up folder.
    This forces 2D profile and 35% fan speed profile to launch at start up.

From there everything should act as you have it set up.

Another thing to remember is to allow time to pass for settings to adjust assuming you have them set up right. Other than that it's really hard to tell you what could be wrong without sitting at your PC.

18. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Everything works beautifilly for me except one quirk I haven't figured out yet.

My fan speeds ramp up right (35,55,75,100) just as I have it set up. On ramp down they go 100,75, 35. They don't stop at 55%. I'm using 81.95. I'm tinkering with Minimum threshold crossing period now to see if I can fine tune it.

Will have to try to sort it out. Fun stuff!

[​IMG]

19. FanMan

FanMan Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 3870X2
    thats strange on the down threshold, works fine for me. Definitely not a driver issue if thats what u mean lol. Yeah i love the tweak...but once again it really seems to stress my fan because if you think about it (55%-60, 75%-73-100%-76), itll get hot and it will kick into say 75% but then the fan is cooling it down because of higher rpms so it goes back down to 55% shortly then it gets hot again go to 75% and so forth. Is this ok? or should i change my values. ( dont think itll make a difference)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  20. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Your the Fanman.... :)

Maybe you want to have it do less steps or base it not on temp's but on clock speeds? RT is flexible to let you do whatever.