Unlocking Geforce 6200 using rivatuner

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by pinkie123, Jun 21, 2005.

1. pinkie123

pinkie123 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce 6200 AGP GV-N62128DP
    i have heard that you can unlock the 6200 pipelines to a 6600 with 8 pipelines. i am a n00b to the gpu overclocking and softmodding stuff. i would really liek to improve the performance of this crad purely by unlocking the pipelines (which will also of saved me money as 6600 is 30quid more.

i have a Gigabyte GV-N62128DP which is here:
    http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-N62128DP.htm

how to i unlock these pipelines? bare in mind i have never used rivatuner lol

2. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

There's a step by stpe guide here (it's for the 6800, but the procedure is the same).

3. pinkie123

pinkie123 New Member

GPU:
    right so are the pipeliens locked the same? coz the 6800 has like 16 or 12 i think the 6200 chip has only a max of 8? do i just tick the same thing as what is said in the article you linked?

4. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

Yep, hit install, check "allow enabling hardware masked units". All you need to do is put a tick next to anything that says yes in the hw masked box.

You can only unlock the 6200 to 8 pipelines and gain 1 extra vertex unit (you basically turn it into a 6600 if you overclock it a bit). Just remember to test it thoroughly and look out for artefacts in games and benchmarks. If it does artefact, the pipes are bad, so try it again with only 1 of the 2 masked units enabled.

Good luck, and big thanks to Unwinder for making this in the 1st place!

5. pinkie123

pinkie123 New Member

GPU:
    wats goin on

right i have tried that article which is on doomedpc and it fails. the pixel unit 0's state says disabled. shouldnt it say enable to unlock it, i cant get it unlocked?

6. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

Can you post exactly what you did? I followed the firing squad guide for my 6800 and it worked fine. The disable tag shows the current state. Anything hardware masked shows as disabled until you enable it. To enable it, click on the "bit nn (mask 0xblahblah)" that shows as disabled. That will put a tick in front of it, which enables it. Hit OK, and the active pixel/vertex units configuration should now read "custom (8x1,4vp)."

7. pinkie123

pinkie123 New Member

GPU:
    i ticked the 'pixel unit 0' then clicked ok, then clicked the tickbox 'allow hardware nabling masks', then it asks u to restart so i did, i checked rivatuner after the reboot and 'pixel unit 0' is ticked but the state says its disabled? have i unlocked the extra 4 pipelines?????

8. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

They should show up as enabled after a reboot. Can you check that the allow enabling hardware masked units checkbox is ticked and that active pixel/vertex units configuration is set to custom? You might also want to reinstall nvstrap.

Try working back through the guide I pointed you to step by step.

9. pinkie123

pinkie123 New Member

GPU:
    yea its all done just like what the step by step guide says. however theres a slight difference in the details that he has. where it says target adapter, that 6200 is A2,_x1,3vp mine is A4,_x1,3vp wether that makes any difference. And it still says disabled, what am i doing wrong, i really want to get this to a 6600 spec so i can prove i saved myself a few quid....

10. nEffect

nEffect Guest

If those tips won't help, then your card has damaged pipelines and your card will automatically disable them.

11. pinkie123

pinkie123 New Member

GPU:
    when you say damaged what do you mean, and what can i do to actually enable them, format my system????

12. nEffect

nEffect Guest

You can't do anything.

13. pinkie123

pinkie123 New Member

GPU:
    well if i cant do anything, why has this happened

14. nEffect

nEffect Guest

Because it is 6200 not 6600 and 6200 should have only 4 working pipelines.

15. pinkie123

pinkie123 New Member

GPU:
    if you read or know. the 6200 gpu is the same core as the 6600gpu. the 6200 has just been locked. yes it has 4 pipelines but u can unlock them using rivatuner, there is a step by step guide however i am having problems even tho i have the same card that was successfully owned by the bloke who reviewed it. the 6200 has 8 pipelines they just need unlocking. in rivatuner i can see the other 4 i need to unlock they just dont enable.

16. rui0317

rui0317 Master Guru

GPU:
    5900XT to QuadroFX3000

Read this :

NV43/A4 is umoddable now.

17. kojolsw

kojolsw New Member

which ones?

Hi,

I'm quite newbie on this subject, but is there a way to find which video cards are moddable?

I want to buy an ASUS EN6200GE/TD/128 GF 6200 GE 128Mb DDRAM PCI Express (128bit). It's a good choice?
    Can it be modded?

thkx

18. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

Not everything can be unlocked - remember that the pipelines aren't acceptable enough for some manufacturers to use as 6600s, so they may well be too broken to use. some versions of the card a hardware locked to prevent unlocking, so there's never a 100% guarante.

At the end of the day, if you want a guaranteed 8 pipeline card, buy a 6600. Otherwise, trawl through google and find out about other people's experiences.

19. ledlama

ledlama New Member

Hi,
    Someone known if i can unlock pipelines on a 6200 go Turbochace on my Notebook?

Thank for our time!

20. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

I'm almost 100% certain that you can't. Definitely not soething I'd risk on a notebook regardless.