Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Consoles & console games
Consoles & console games This section is for all hardcore console gamers out there .. XBOX 360, PlayStation 3, Wii Threads with posts in January 2007 can be found in General Hardware

Pentium D VS AMD Atlhon X2 (Dual Core Processors)
Old
  (#1)
Fr@nKy
Master Guru

Videocard: Mob. Radeon HD5730 1GB
Processor: Core i7 720QM@1.6~2.8GHz
Mainboard: Intel HM55 Chipset
Memory: 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SO-DIMM
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: AC Adapter + Battery
Default Pentium D VS AMD Atlhon X2 (Dual Core Processors) - 06-01-2005, 16:23 | posts: 156 | Location: Portugal

Well they are here and arriving!! For what I've read this time AMD beat Intel! I personally don't like AMD but this time if it's tru the AMD Dual Core is faster than Intel Dual Core I will have to choose AMD! Don't you think! Please post here with information about both Processors so that me and others can decide which one is the best!!

Old
  (#2)
Nerm
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x Evga 7900gt Signature Series
Processor: X2 4200+
Mainboard: DFI LanParty SLI-DR Expert
Memory: 2GB G.skill PC4000 HZ
Soundcard:
PSU: OCZ Powerstream 520w
Default 06-01-2005, 18:23 | posts: 943 | Location: MadTown, IN

ummmm......AMD finally beating Intel? AMD has been kicking Intel's butt in gaming and benching performance since their launch of the A64s.

I personally have not had a chance to play with either AMD or Intel dual core chips yet. Neither will be huge in games or benches until games or benches start utilizing dual core technology, but in multitasking scenarios both will be great with Intel probably being slightly better as they always seem to be better with multitasking, etc. type scenarios.

Old
  (#3)
clkProject
Maha Guru

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 400W Enermax
Default 06-01-2005, 21:25 | posts: 846 | Location: New Hampshire

The Athlon 64X2's dominate the Pentium D.

Old
  (#4)
AlecRyben
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX460 1Gb + GTX470 1.2Gb
Processor: i7 870 + i7 970
Mainboard: Intel DP55KG + FoxConn FB
Memory: 7x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingston
Soundcard: Onboard 7.1
PSU: Corsair TX650W + TX850W
Default 06-01-2005, 23:46 | posts: 7,781 | Location: Utopia Planitia, Mars

At first glance, AMD dualcores look better than Intel's, but are more expensive too. If you include the motherboard prices in the comparison you will notice they will get about even in prices (or even cheaper if you already own a modern socket939 mobo, since Intel's dual cores demand a new mobo with a new socket). So, all that makes AMD a clear winner even in the price/performance ratio.
The only thing that remains to be seen is the availability. I really hope AMD makes enough dualcores to satisfy the market - Intel has much better mass production manufacturing capabilities and they can decide to defeat AMD's advantage by saturating the market with their dualcores, but somehow i don't thing they will do that because they are probably waiting for 0.65 process techology so they can make better profit margins... and i hope this time, their greed is going to hurt them badly...

Last edited by AlecRyben; 06-01-2005 at 23:49.