Altec lansing?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Dead Evil, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Dead Evil

Dead Evil Guest

I have a altec lansing vs4121 izzit is a good speaker for audio purpose?

2. Davy2

Davy2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon x800Pro+Samsung 172X
    I have the same thing. From what I find, it works best with the treble cut almost off (turn the treble knob most of the way to the right) and turn down the bass. My biggest complaint is that the low end is very muddy/boomy. I guess that's probably due to not enough power, or a crappy sub driver, I'm not sure, but I'd like a tighter low end.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  3. flashnc

flashnc Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    you want a tighter low end???/then do squats!!!!! lol sorry..i couldnt resist...Flashnc

4. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    lol@ flashnc

I dont know about the particular model of speakers (im a klipsch man myself), but Altec Lansing makes exellent speakers for the price.

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, few of my mates has them, good speakers.

You could try looking at Klipsch if you can get them, otherwise the Logitech ones are supposed to be nice, give the Klipsch's a run for their money.

6. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    I have some Old ATP3, and they are still great!!
    The next Speaker im planning to buy are the VS3151
    Superb choice!
    High Clarity and deep bass. The better the sound card, the better the speakers will sound

7. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Personally I never liked Altec. They use small drivers to usually make it a more cool looking speaker set. I personally like Klipsch, but my next take would be Logitech if I didn't have the money for the Klipsch.

8. Davy2

Davy2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon x800Pro+Samsung 172X
    As for the small drivers, while they're small if you're talking about pro audio etc, but they're no smaller really than those used in other computer speakers.

The 10" drivers in my bass amp are considered fairly small, but everything's relative.

9. omniviper

omniviper Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 Ultra at 450/ 1.2
    .... those speakers are pretty good for the price and they peform generally well. I bought 2 ms-5021's in a local swapmeet. Cleaned they up and boy does the sound clarity beat my z-680's... Hope i can get them for the same price of the other two...

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Never Heard the altec's....I use the Z-640's and I have no complaints....IS there anything you can do to maybe equalize your speaker response? When I first bought mine I liked the bass but after awhile I found it very boomy..overpowering..so Now I use a analog compressor and low frequency redirection to get the nice tight hit without the boominess...i.e all bass being heard as one note....I find all speakers need a little while to get tweaked up right...good luck