is there a problem with my macbook retina pro 13" battery?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by death_samurai, Nov 7, 2015.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    So I log into windows bootcamp play NFS 2010 hot pursuit. for i think around 10 mins. The battery is around 50% after i finish playing. I use a logitech controller usb, BT earphones and a wireless mouse on my setup.

Later i log into OSX el capitan to play D3 cos it's installed on the mac portion. While logging into D3. The entire macbook just shuts down. I wait a few seconds press the power button and the battery no juice sign shows up. This is around 40-50% left from looking at bootcamp and logging into OSX before trying to play D3.

Macbook pro is early 2013 model bought in june 2013. Only 55 charge cycles and i hear that it needs 1000 cycles before the battery is degraded. Checked this using coconuts on OSX.

So is my battery really degraded? Of course heavy workloads like gaming, BT, wireless mouse, usb devices, bootcamp etc will drain the battery more but comeon i am sure bootcamp and osx both know the percentage left.

I think if i just did light usage of my macbook like surfing the net etc it would slowly drop from 100-0% but did the heavy usage somehow make the battery unable to run the macbook at a percentage that should be considered high like 30-50%?

I hope someone could help me and also my battery doesn't even have 100 charge cycles and it needs 1000 cycles before it can be considered degraded does the age of the battery cause it to degrade and not the number of cycles?

I mean you see in my case i don't even know if my battery needs replacing i mean OSX would have informed me if that was the case right?

2. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    Its generally not recommended to game while only on the battery. The current draw while running the cpu and gpu at high speed can be too much for the battery to provide without overheating and causing damage to the cells.

My MSI gaming laptop will automatically limit the cpu and gpu speeds when unplugged to prevent damage to the battery. I don't know if bootcamp will know to do this, as there may be additional mobility software running on my native windows installation that keeps the battery use in-check while unplugged.

When you want to game on battery in Windows, you should probably have a power profile configured to handle this by properly limiting the CPU and GPU speeds.

As for why it shut-off on you, sudden shutdowns can sometimes be a symptom of battery damage or age. If your OSX install has some kind of battery recalibration tool I would run that and see what happens.

A two-year old battery that didn't see a lot of use might still be getting worn out. Even though they say these lithium cells don't have a memory, if you don't fully discharge the battery often it will lose its zero-point.