People upgrading in 2015, what phone are you getting?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Lets get a new thread rolling!

Maybe a bit early for this years flagship phones but what are people thinking of getting this year?

I was really tempted with selling my M8 and going with a Moto X or Nexus 6 but I did the GPE conversation and now I am really happy with the hardware & stock lollipop combo.

I definitely think if a phone does come out that gets me thinking about upgrading it will need to be running stock or close to stock. I have heard rumours Samsung might actually be bringing a new lightweight Touchwiz to the table this year..

2. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I only just upgraded to an LG G2, I was going to go for an S5, but the size and "knock on" sold me on the G2. I know its not the flagship now, but I still think it is better than a lot of stuff out there, and the G3 is too big for my liking.
    with a 75.9 screen to body percentage, its one of the best looking out there too, I'm not aware of anything revolutionary coming out in the coming months to even tempt me to look anywhere else for quite some time.

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Sony Xperia Z4 Ultra.

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I went ahead and bit the bullet, a 6+....

Had to do it!

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm pretty happy with my Nexus 5 at the moment so I'll not be upgrading this year.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'll be sticking with my M8 this year. Unless the m9 comes out.

7. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Zenfone2, S6, Z4 or LG flex2 or something else with 3gb+ and 64bit :)

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Galaxy S6 most likely

9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Good choice. It is rumoured to have the same screen as the current Note 4 only a rear glass panel and 4gb ram.

There is said to be a second version featuring a duel edge display. :D

10. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I never aim for the flagships, too expensive.

I've ordered 2 phones that use MTK 6752, Jiayu S3 and Meizu m1 note. I won't be holding them until probably next month because they are still in pre-order. Some videos on youtube show that their performance is very good.

Those phones won't beat any new flagship phones to be released, but they would be a nice upgrade form my current phone

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Still waiting for Z3 compact prices to drop, should be soon when they release Z4 series :)

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Just bought another Lumia 635 yesterday because the screen broke on the first one so it would have to be something huge (not in size, but in features) for me to upgrade. My Lumia 635 has just been too "perfect" for me to look else where. Fortunately, there's really nothing on the horizon as far as Windows Phone that's really worth buying for me.

13. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Guest

GPU:
    3080 10GB
    Waiting for the Snapdragon 810/similar before I upgrade.
    Want to be able to decode Hi10p 1080p videos with FLAC or similar smoothly, which is going to take IPC performance/better cores.
    The Exynos in the Samsung Galaxy Alpha is close but throttles, and the Exynos Note 4 isn't available in the UK, so it'll likely be something Snapdragon 810-based given the performance of the SGAlpha, or if something else similar with better IPC/HexCore rolls out here soon.

Geekbench and the Galaxy Alpha gets up to about 3200 multithread, I've seen an early result from the LG Prototypes with 810s scoring about 3900. That ~20% boost is probably all I need as long as the decoding software uses it properly.

The improved CPU performance should help the phone perform smoothly and under heavier load, potentially with better power regulation to boot.

14. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Currently using Samsung Galaxy S5 and Nokia Lumia 830..I will be selling my S5 when S6 is available..My Retention is coming up so I will have S6 for free courtesy of my Telco..Can't Wait..:)

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well I wasn't expecting to upgrade, but ended up with an S5 too, nice phone, amazing camera, photos and videos are very impressive, battery life with Lollipop, not so impressive, looking forward to some updates

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Agreed. I've had great battery life with Jelly Bean & Kitkat...

Now, ever since I've upgraded to Lollipop, battery life sucks balls...

Even after reformatting,factory reset, reinstalling rom, wiping dalvic cache and wiping data, battery life is poor...

It's abnormal behaviour since there are times the phone will be in standby mode, unused for several hours yet the battery has remained the same. Well and good...

At other times, the battery could drop by 5-10% over the period of an hour and the phone hasn't even been touched!

There is a bad battery leak and the only way to address the issue is to either flash another rom or simply downgrade to Kitkat.

That said, there is a huge update due out in February or March for Lollipop.

Included with the update will be:

Battery improvements - Stamina/power saving mode should increase
    Camera improvements
    Bug fixes and other system improvements
    Stability and performance issues should be solved
    General use/functionality improvements and even more fluid

Other minor bugs such as random freezing/reboots should be fixed.

At the moment, most versions of Lollipop are 5.0.

Very soon the manufacturers will fix the above with version 5.1.

Sony have announced in February or March they'll apply the update.

Samsung, LG, HTC & Motorola should soon follow...

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Hey guys. Is it going to be a mistake to buy a Sony Z3 now? When z4 is coming anyway ?

well bought anyway :(

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  18. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    It's probably not a Flagship by any standards, but I got an Amazon Fire phone today. So far I like it quite abit, it is more then capable of doing what I want from a smartphone and the Dynamic Perspective is pretty dang cool. Freakin' cheap as dirt too with the current price for an unlocked one with a free year of Prime on Amazon. Since I use that already (allot too) it came out to $100 for the phone.

19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    None, I just rooted my s5 and installed cyanogenmod 12 running lollipop 5.0.2 and my phone has never been better.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It was only a "flag ship" in price. Amazon lost their minds when setting the intro price for the phone.