Creative Labs Soundcard Overview

Discussion in 'Links' started by S_Kinton, Mar 9, 2006.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    All I said is that it resamples, you can read into it what you wish. It does resample just like it's predecessors, just becasue it does it in a different way doesn't negate the fact it still does it. Never said the X-fi was bad just relaying info... The idea that resampling is necessary, needed and good?! -is a new piece of info for me...all the info I have read said it's a bad thing, people don't like it and it is totally unnecessary...good thing about a forum is you can think what you want.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  2. ¬69er

¬69er Master Guru

GPU:
    Ge5900Ultra
    How else can you playback or mix 2 sources recorded at 2 different rates?
    People do not like resampling for it has been causing headaches for years. I am not surprised people steer away from it. But there is nothing wrong with resampling done on X-Fi - that you can, let me stress this out again,
    you can turn it off or on
    :nerd:

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    really? check the internal clock of the DSP....
    ok, anyway let's agree to disagree. I can read info and spec's and the info I understand is the card resamples. plain and simple you cannot just turn it off as the internal DSP is sample locked. You amy be able to go around it such as the AUdigy 2's did with the 24/96 thing but other than that..who knows..
    also, what your saying about playing back or mixing files at two different sample rates..sure that's all well and good when your TRYING to do it. The way I understand it is if your playing a 24/96 or 24/192 it get's resampled down to 16/44.1(cd quality) or 16/48(dat quality) then get's resampled back up. Even worse is if you would like to apply some reverb or any other effect to that 24/192 signal as it cuts it into slices -Band Splitting applies effects to each individual slic the mix them together again as the DSP can only work in these lower bit dpeth and resolution. Why do you think they do this band splitting thing? This resampling isnot abig thiing in game audi as most of it is lower res stuff anyway at best CD or Dat quality. When game start using DVD audio tracks may have a issue. Perhaps the card does it in such a way you can't notice..etc..etc...etc.
    anyway, tpoic is getting old. You take it how you want and I will take it how I want. I never said the X-fi was a bad card just that it had weird ways of doing somethings that's all.. Gonna go listen to some music now...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  4. angelrex

angelrex Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT AGP @ 560/1100
    sb live 5.1 or x-fi music?

hey all, I would like to ask:

I currently have a sb live 5.1 with 5.1 headphones, I mainly play counterstrike source in 5.1, would i benefit from upgrading to the newer X-fi sound card?

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Basically better sound quality. I am not sure if the source engine uses EAX or not but with the X-fi you will get up to EAX 5.0 which alot of guys like in their games. Well I assume you know what EAX is.. I think it's good possibility your gonna play other games besides CS:S, So if your a gamer the X-fi would be the way to go...