Speaker conundrum - tweeter working, woofer not

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by DSparil, Nov 7, 2016.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so if there's a better section I missed, moderators, please move! I have a set of Infinity Interlude speakers that were working brilliantly until I moved into my new place. All of a sudden the left speakers woofer doesn't appear to be generating any sound. The tweeter is, but nothing from the woofer. All other speakers in the surround set are working fine, and the receiver appears to be 100% functional. I did a sound test to set my levels in the new place, and only heard sound from the tweeter in that one speaker...

Any idea what this could be? Seems unlikely the woofer blew, as I should hear something out of it, not absolute silence. I've already tried reseating the speaker cabling to no avail. :bang:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I'd check the crossover inside the speaker, could be a loose connection there, it's actually pretty hard to blow speakers but it might be worth removing the woofer and just visually inspecting it to make sure there's no obvious damage to the cone or spider.

3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ Great advice thanks. Your advice prompted me to pull the speaker cable out and attempt to remove the crossover plate screws. When I did, I noticed the negative cables end was frayed really badly. I took a closer look and it was shredded down to a couple copper threads! I stripped the end to expose some fresh copper cabling, plugged it back in and sure enough, that was it. Damn speaker cable was nearly cut and I didn't even notice. Problem solved :D

4. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Good to hear you got it sorted :)

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
  6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU: