Glide XP/WickedGL in CS w/V5500

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by Darkmoine, May 6, 2003.

1. Darkmoine

Darkmoine Guest

hey guys, I recently got a V5500 because like, I felt like I should do a little upgrade from riva tnt 16mb, so like, I have win 98SE, I install the lastest official drivers, and start playing cs, get 25-40 fps, so I'm like wow this is not good, so I try WickedGL, I log into a server, wow 60-80 fps, I'm like cool and such, play a bit, cs crashes to desktop with no warnings etc, so I'm pissed, I decide to remove wickedGL and try Glide XP, I log into a game, wow 80-99 fps, and after a while I crash to desktop. yay?

I know I saw something about glide users crashing to desktop because of VAC on counter-strike, saying its supposed to be fixed, but it doesn't seem fixed for me, anyone has had the same problem with cs/any other game and could help me please?

2. Aropredator

Aropredator Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RS 3090 OC 24G
    Have you try any other driver from sticky above? Since I never play CS, I cant help much. Maybe Glidefan or Kaaos might know something.

3. Darkmoine

Darkmoine Guest

hm I only tried the official 3dfx drivers with glide modification (WickedGl, glideXP)

When I come back from school I will try doing fresh installs of new drivers and see how it goes

4. PCPETE

PCPETE Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB
    Hey man, I have had those problems before in CS! I love CS, but with my Voodoo 5 5500 I was experiancing the same problems. However, let me find you some links for optimual settings and some nice drivers. By the way, where did you find Wicked GL. I have it, but was wondering if you found the latest shareware version. Their site is dead! But I will get back to you, I have a Voodoo 3, and a V5 5500 and have tweaked up a 2 on my friends pent. 233.

5. PCPETE

PCPETE Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB
    BTW, 3DFX cards are sick with counter-strike! Be optimistic, my Radeon has crashed with Cs some times. I would talk more but my damn homeworks calling me!

6. Darkmoine

Darkmoine Guest

cool man thanks for your help, and for the wickedGL, I think I browsed through some german site and found a link for it, but I'm using Glide XP now, I like it better, it still crashes to desktop with CS, but not with Natural Selection, so I'm wondering if its not a module in CS that does the crash

PS, optimal performance drivers would rock dude, I'm dying for some free fps, I don't want to overclock now, I am 100% sure that my celeron 433 doesn't use all of the coolness of a voodoo 5 5500, but I want to try to get as much as possible :)

and about being optimistic, I would stay optimistic if cs wouldn't crash after 2 minutes of gameplay EVERy time I tried it with glide :p, without glide its just not as cool, 20-30 fps...compared to 60 with glide

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2003
  7. Darkmoine

Darkmoine Guest

8. PCPETE

PCPETE Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB
    someone help this brotha out further, hes using Glide XP and Wicked GL. Anyone know what settings to disable for highest frames in CS?

9. Aropredator

Aropredator Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RS 3090 OC 24G
    If glideXP or WickedGL still got issue, you can try GLSetup.
    www.glsetup.com
    Another thing, did you run CS in 16bit or 32bit color? Although Voodoo5 cards support 32bit color, CS image quality wont differ much running in 16bit color as it based on the good old Quake2 engine.

Last edited: May 8, 2003
  10. Aropredator

Aropredator Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RS 3090 OC 24G

11. 3DfxFanatic

3DfxFanatic Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9100 64MB , Voodoo 2 1000 12MB SLI
    have you tried the normal OGL mode?
    my friend's cs rocked with normal OGL on his v5.
    same happened with my v3

12. Darkmoine

Darkmoine Guest

normal OGL mode gives me A BIT more fps than my old riva tnt 16mb, pretty crappy if you ask me...considering this card's 2x32mb

13. 3DfxFanatic

3DfxFanatic Member Guru

GPU:
    i'll try to search for the newest miniGL 3dfx had created for HL...
    i remember i worked better than the stocked one

14. 3DfxFanatic

3DfxFanatic Member Guru

GPU:
  15. Darkmoine

Darkmoine Guest

wow thanks alot :) I will go and test it ASAP

16. Darkmoine

Darkmoine Guest

tried the amigamerlin drivers, tried the new minigl 3dfx had created for hl, tried other drivers and none did better, cs still crashes with WickedGL or GlideXP

17. 3DfxFanatic

3DfxFanatic Member Guru

GPU:
    Maybe you can try to disable one of the chips...
    my friends Ut stopped crashing after he disabled one...

18. Darkmoine

Darkmoine Guest

I did a clean reinstall of my drivers, like really clean and then I did a really really clean reinstall of Half-Life, and haven't got a problem yet, but haven't installed WickedGl or GlideXP yet, going to wait :)

19. 3DfxFanatic

3DfxFanatic Member Guru

GPU:
    if your fps is fine and cs doesnt crush, i think you should leave your comp as it is and dont install wickedgl or glideXP.
    i'd never used wickedgl or glidexp with cs and everything worked great

20. Darkmoine

Darkmoine Guest

yeah my fps is fine for me, 30-60 fps usually