GPU+CPU vs SMP

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Rodd, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Rodd

Rodd New Member

GPU:
    Palit HD 4850 512MB
    I was wondering if someone could help me with this.

I currently have a GPU client running using one CPU core and my 4850, and one CPU client running on the other CPU core.

Would I see better results if I had a SMP set-up so both core being used for CPU clients.

I was also wonder if it is possible to have a SMP and GPU client running at the same time. Just have one of the core set to 50% CPU client and 50% to GPU, and the other core set to full CPU.

My GPU PPD is about 3800.
    My CPU PPD is about 200

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you have a dual core....SMP and GPU clients will be fighting for the second core as SMP requires at least 2 cores...and GPU requires at least 1 core dedicated. If you had a quad core, you could give 2 cores to SMP and 1 to GPU and gain....but not with a dual core.

3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Not quite, especailly recently the GPU client has been lowered in terms of CPU usage and doesn't have to have a dedicated core for it's self.

He should run an SMP Client really, and along with the GPU client on vista specifically.

4. Rodd

Rodd New Member

GPU:
    Palit HD 4850 512MB
    Currently the Gpu about 95% of core 0.

How about the possibility of having 2 clients run at 50% on one core, is that logical?

Is there a way to have the Gpu client run only off the Gpu? When I ran Gpu client on a 8500gt, Athlon X2 and all the folding was done through the Graphics card. I think it's the same with my friend 9600gt's.

Another question, instead of running DEINO Could i just have two cpu clients open and assign them different Machine ID's.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009

5. Overclocked76

Overclocked76 Member

GPU:
    Sappphire 4870X2 2gig
    Im going to switch to the SMP client for my CPU but there are 2 versions..
    6.22 beta2 for Deino MPI (32-bit only) and
    6.22 beta2 for MPICH (32-bit or 64-bit) ..apart from the 64 bit version does anyone know what the differances are and which one is more productive? :)

6. aircool

GPU:
    Performance is similar but the 64 Bit supportive version is the one I would recomend.

Purely for ease of install.

7. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    SMP client services

SMP is designed for multi-core cpu use only. Anything different (single core use which it is NOT designed for) from that basic setup will cause problems and will seriously increase the final time it takes to complete the tasks or research work involved.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  8. Overclocked76

Overclocked76 Member

GPU:
    Sappphire 4870X2 2gig
    Unfortunatly im using XP 32bit so looks like SMP Deino then..Thanks

9. aircool

GPU:
    Why? Either works just as good, plus if you have a quad core CPU you can run two clients with the original client (non-Deino).

10. Overclocked76

Overclocked76 Member

GPU:
    Sappphire 4870X2 2gig
    Eeerm lol could you explain a little more about how to run 2 clients with the original client..Im having problems getting the non Deino smp to work, i have read ur sticky and the stanford info but no good, I have installed the SMP, copied and pasted the Folding@home-win32-x86 file, right clicked on it, properties, and changed the "Target field" with a -1 at the end but this copied/pasted version comes up with errors and shuts down, while the original copy runs? Tried it with -2, -3 etc and the other flags in ur sticky?

I have got it to work by installing in 3 separate folders lol, but im sure this isnt the best/correct way to do it and 2 of the 3 instances come up with errors after about 10% of the way through with "FILE_IO_ERROR" "corestatus = 75 (117)" :bang:

11. Overclocked76

Overclocked76 Member

GPU:
    Sappphire 4870X2 2gig
    Think i've sussed it now! :banana: :nerd:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009