Random BSODs (HD 7970)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by cstrosser, Mar 23, 2012.

1. ttvd

ttvd Guest

GPU:
    2 x MSI / 7970 / 3GB
    I had this problem on LGA 2011 board, in bf3 mostly (lockup + looping sound), i kind of did solve it by disabling on board sound (realtek or whatever it is, through bios) and disabling 7970 sound thing (through drivers, amd high definition audio device) and using my Asus Xonar for sound. That seemed to have solved most of my bf3 lock-up issues.

Thing is, I still do have lock-ups, in ME3, sometimes when flash is playing. If I play games this happens sooner; if my system is idle it happens within 3-5 days.

I think I was running 12.1 / 2, right now my LGA 2011 system is disassembled. So I can't check. I was sure it was voltage related, however now I am not so sure.

2. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    anyone look into atikmpag.sys BSOD being caused by tdrdelay? increasing tdrdelay to 10 stopped all my BSOD's

3. ttvd

ttvd Guest

GPU:
    2 x MSI / 7970 / 3GB
    I considered this solution, but someone told me not to do it because it could damage your hw if your card is indeed hanging (I am not sure about this part). Another alternative is to disable "zero core" through afterburner (UnofficialOverclockingMode).

12.4 has been dead stable for me for several days. I didn't play anything, but I ran 3dmark11 for ~ 24 hours.

4. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    I can run gpu testing programs and have no problem but game are what get me into problems.

5. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    i dont know for certain if it could damage your hardware, but I doubt it.

you can easily undo the reg entry if it doesnt work, just delete that one line from your registry.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  6. poporange630

poporange630 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
    I got the exact same problem on my Gigabyte 7870 (which have 3 fans), my Mobo is Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 and after 3 days fine using, it suddenly starts to BSOD, or just black out. I use dual monitor from the beginning and connect to HDMI and DVI port. After changing to 12.1 driver, it seems to be stable again at the last 72 hours. I hope AMD or someone can solve this problem and let us use the latest driver :)

7. poporange630

poporange630 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
    Does that include the BSODs that happened in non-GPU related tasks like word processing or web browsing?

8. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    yeah i used to get it in web browsing, its stopped by disabling hardware acceleration in flash

9. poporange630

poporange630 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
    I fail again, after reinstalling 12.4 and use the register patch, 2 hours later, again black screen and freeze (no BSOD this time).
    I roll back to 12.1 once again everything is just working now.

i think I have to wait for 12.5 or something..which is really bad..

10. dotslasher

dotslasher Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 970 GTX
    I know one thing: I will NEVER own an ATI card again. I was really happy with my 5870 and their driver support (yes it was lacking at times or late to the game with new releases, but I never experienced any major issues).
    But now with the 7970 I have experienced nothing but headaches with my new +€500 card.
    I'm gonna try and swap it if I can, but I'm on Watercooling so that means a new geforce waterblock , bah.

11. GLAZIERMAN

GLAZIERMAN Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD 6990's crossfired
    running 6990's in crossfire

Rampage II Extreme, i7 950,12 memory in bf3 with 12.4 drivers crashes went to 12.3 works for 2 days hangs at initializing with white screen used driver sweeper to reload drivers now getting strange 2 blocks of color on screen then changes to two blocks of two differant colors on white screen and get error something went wrong and it hangs again ?/

12. t0xin420

t0xin420 Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7950
    To Start this off, I fixed my occuring BSOD's by creating a new blank preset in CCC.

Then Go to

C:\Users\<yourPCuserNAME>\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE

i opened up the Profiles.xml with Notepad++ (Recommended Download) And Right Click Select All, Then Copy Everything And close it. Then Go In

C:\Users\<yourPCuserNAME>\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles

find the file of your newly created Blank Preset and Open it Up with Notepad ++ and delete everything In There And Paste What You Copied From The Profiles.xml.

Do Ctrl+F and search for MemoryClockTarget
    Underneath. Change Want_0 Value To Same One as Want_1 To Set The MemoryCore Clocks To 3D Memory Clocks Permanently.

The Problem Seems To Be Low Memory Clock Idle Speeds.

I've Never Had A BSOD While Playing a game tho. It's always Been when I'm idling, watching a youtube video Or using firefox. After I did this I never got a BSOD ever again. Might Not work for everyone but it's worth a shot.

13. poporange630

poporange630 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
    I've never heard about low clock speed causing problem. But I'll give it a try. Thank you for your advice

14. HarryRag

HarryRag Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX680-DC2O-2GD5
    Going to give it a test, since i upped the voltages for IOH my bleuscreens disappeared and only have black screen lockups left, mostly around the time that the screensaver or auto screen of should kick in.

On to reinstalling the 12.4 driver...........

update mode, within 20 minutes locked up and blackscreen/not responding anymore.

Back to Cape Verde driver which is the only one that seems to work properly.

When there is driver released that works ok, am going to sell the card and back to nvidia since they do have some problems, but not these idiotic driver problems that AMD/Ati has with the 7970 cards.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  15. CscorpRSA

CscorpRSA Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD7970
    I'm also very close to ebay'ing this card and buying a new Nvidia 680. I'm down to the blackscreen and BSOD if I leave the PC to long ie. Screensaver kicks in sometimes then all is fine other times not. I can play ME3, BF3 and Skyrim for hours without issue (Never had BSOD on those anyways) but my favorite EVE Online unfortunately has certain areas where the sound loop and screen freeze occurs.
    I have tried almost all the driver versions, 11.12 only has the EVE Online issue persistently while 12.4 is more stable in EVE but more normal desktop black-screen occurrences.
    I have also tried numerous settings, update of bios ect to no avail. Tired, frsutrated and damn right fed up here

16. poporange630

poporange630 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
    Nice to meet a EVE player here. I am currently not playing EVE often, but in other games like TF2 and World of Tanks, all drivers are stable.
    When idle, 12.3 and 12.4 will go BSOD or black screen very often (less than once per hour). However, in these 2 days of using 12.1, only once the GPU reset itself, freeze about 5 sec and back to normal. Other time is deadly stable.
    I've tried the register trick, and change the Core/Mem clock, with no use at all.
    Currently I'll keep this card, use the 12.1 driver and finally wait for some killer solution.

17. t0xin420

t0xin420 Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7950
    Im Telling You, go Look at my above post and try setting your memory core up to 3D gfx all the time. as soon as you get into windows just right click on CCC and Invoke the preset and You will not get any BSOD's while idling. I Wish there was another way with less complications but it is what it is until AMD takes their heads outta their poopoo holes and actually start releasing good drivers.

you'd think at 450$ a pop for a GPU they'd have the money to hire DEVs who could actually make drivers. Ive been with ATI/AMD since their 5000 series and they've always had driver problems. I havent seen Nvidia get this much problems but im not going to pay x2-x3 the money for a card that will perform just as good. they just need to smarten up on those drivers.

And also. On previous card series, idle clocks were always 157/300. So why 300/150 all of a sudden? it seems like they have the idle clocks programmed backwards. I Dunno im not that much of a PC tech or nerd :p. I know enough but still...just my opinion.

18. t0xin420

t0xin420 Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7950
    Im not sure i'd like to go with your advice on this one considering the 7900 series arent even supported with the 12.1 drivers. I'd rather troubleshoot the problem to find a solution rather then having to compromise with minor problems. Like I Stated, Running a Profile and immediatly invoking it when startup fixed my BSOD problems on my XFX 7950.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sounds to me like a problem with EVE and not the card.

20. ttvd

ttvd Guest

GPU:
    2 x MSI / 7970 / 3GB
    After almost 2 weeks, I've caught two BSODs with 12.4 within 5 minutes, ouch (first was caused by flash). Changed TdrDdiDelay in registry, will see if that helps in any way. I also never had a BSOD while gaming or having gpu compute stuff running (opencl for example) while on 12.4.

I also agree, these cards are awesome, we just need better drivers. There's no way I am switching back to nv (let's admit, nv has its own share of problems), pair of these cards chew through almost anything.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012