Win 10 update resets fast boot, Win7 dual booters beware!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by sylvester, Jul 3, 2017.

1. sylvester

sylvester Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    OK I just want to warn of what happened to me today.

Dual boot 7 & 10.

Installed 10s big version update and it reset fast boot to on, which I had previously disabled because this causes a problem with Win7 boot which forces a CHKDSK.

During the reboot of 10 to disable fast boot once again, I missed the boot menu and my system accidentally booted to Win 7 this time CHKDSK "repaired" Win10 and trashed the BCD completely, I think because it was in the process of disabling fast boot.

Win 10 was gone for good, no recovery process would work and while the OS partition was recognised bootrec could not see a BCD and would not rebuild it. So I custom reinstalled and lost all my tweaks, but no data. Didnt have an image because it was a testbed for checking Win10 reliability, needless to say I am not very impressed by this.

I run a Win7 + 10 dual boot system and I have them separately installed to permit redundancy, ie if one disk fails the other will still boot, whereas if I tied them to 10s BCD, they would both be lost if that went.

If MS switches on fast boot without warning then it represents a danger for dual booters booting with 7 and 10.

If anyone has any insight about what happened I would be glad to hear it.

Else any other 7 / 10 dual booters out there, be careful with this update and I would suggest disconnecting Win7 bootdrives while installing it and deactivating fast boot... again.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    must be issue with dual booting, my fast boot has been off since i first install CU update and it still is

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Also, as I take it, you can disable hibernation which leads to "goodbye fastboot".

Just execute in elevated command prompt:
    powercfg -h off

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ^
    true I do this on ever new install of OS either this way or threw registry, which permanently kills fast boot

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I have not had problems with win10 upgrades (Win7>Win10 1503>1607>1703) as I have had hibernation set off with powercfg.

After CU, I even double checked for fastboost and hibernation ,all is good, still off (no options available).

6. sylvester

sylvester Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Thanks for this, I did have hibernation off in the power settings but that didnt stop it resetting fastboot. I take it this tweak goes deeper in the reg and I will apply it to the new installation and see how it goes.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my ocd is well know eh? your welcome to take me ocd from me though i dont want it ! but yah I only do to registry method these days and manually I have not use the "powercfg -h off" since i had win 7.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Be sure I would take it from you if I was good psychotherapist. OCD is a burden and no fun at all.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    WHAT!! IT'S SUPER FREAK FUN

I wouldnt got one anyway, it been mentioned that i should see a Psychiatry or what ever they called for my angry other stuff that set me off, i went off on person for mentioning it :bang:

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Dont use dual boot if you have multiple drives, save yourself some headaches.
    Select the drive to boot from using the BIOS boot options.
    Then you will only have the boot loader for a single OS on each drive.

14. sylvester

sylvester Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Agree and this is what I do but evidently this wont stop 7 from chkdsking if fast boot is on and then hosing 10 if it does this while you are try to switch fast boot off, unfortunately.

Is hard to find words to express my frustration with MS for switching it back on and catching me unawares. What it means in practice though is I have to disconnect my Win7 drive whenever doing 10 updates so it doesnt boot 7 until fast boot is back in its box. Even with the reg tweaks I dont feel I can trust MS. This is a pain because I have a sweet looking alu Lian Li case but the side is held on by 8 screws which has to come off every time.

I wonder if this would fit ...?
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817998052

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Interesting idea.
    You would need 2 of them if the drive mounts on a plate.
    But if the drive simply inserts as is (it looks like this), you are golden.

16. sylvester

sylvester Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Got one.

Trayless design, drive inserts like an oversized SD card np.

Boots as per direct connection, so I have the Win7 drive in that and can whip it out for updating 10 without taking the side off.

Fingers crossed its safe to put the side back on.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Pretty sweet.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I agree the way to go IF you gotta dual boot it get HDD caddy swap, and just swap to the HDD's according to the OS you want, must less headache