Death sentence, what do you think?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by elkosith, Jan 19, 2015.

1. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
  2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Pointless. Its not a punishment for the accused for other than a few months (possibly years) of uncertainty....and then its over in heartbeat after they've been lined up against a wall, told that their services as a human are no longer required and the last thing you're senses will probably register will be a gunshot.

If anything, its a punishment for the families of the accused. Im surprised that their isnt legal grounds for suing of breach of human rights for the family that is left behind and are left to deal with the loss.

The executed dies right then and there, no suffering by being left to rot in a cell. I wouldnt be surprised if executions have religious background of the belief in punishment in the afterlife eg Hell.

Pointless. If i had the choice of a tai, Indonesia, third world prison or death. Id probably go with death.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Crimes punishable by death are usually "breach of human rights" performed by the assailant. And in my oppinion if you choose to kill someone you forfeit your human rights in exchange. Plus life in prison cost a hell of a lot more than a hollow point 9mm bullet.

Edit: (this is just my oppinion)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  4. uberdruid

uberdruid Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 7900
    I'm not sure if it's any less punishment for a family of the accused knowing their loved one is living that kind of existence in jail.

5. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    +1 :)

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Personally i'm split on the subject.

I fear innocent people being executed but i don't want good people paying money to keep scum in jail.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    +1

Not to mention that putting people in jail for the rest of their lives costs tax payers tons of money each year.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This is going to be one of those threads where people simply don't agree....

There's issues both ways.

Life Sentence punishes tax payers because we're the ones that have to support the criminals for the remaining duration of their lives. We also have to fund the building of new prisons as the current ones become over crowded.

Death Sentence is a violation of religious and human rights (if you believe that a murderer has any right to live). It's also relatively cheap for tax payers.

Now, personally, I see no issue with a death sentence under the right circumstances. In the case of drug trafficking, it's extreme.... Using a firing squad, is just cruel. Of course, I don't believe in the whole "cruel and unusual punishment" ideal for murderers.... Personally, if they have no concern for another human life, I don't see where there should be any concern for how they're executed. I'm sort of a demented person though. Some people just don't deserve to live....or die in a humane way.

9. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Indonesia's laws are mostly based on laws left by the Dutch during the colonial period, including the practice of death sentence. It's an ancient law and should be amended indeed, but knowing its origin and then become angry when it's applied to its citizen is kind of ridiculous.

Good point. Didn't came into my mind about tax

So there would be interesting conversations to be made..

About drug trafficking, it's kind of ironic if someone caught carrying marijuana, because in some places it's legal, but here a death sentence is waiting

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Innocent people are executed all the time, unfortunately.

My state executed an innocent person a few years ago. The police falsified evidence to get a conviction. After serving more than 20 years, and several attempts to get real justice, the poor guy was executed. His family is now pursuing legal action against the state and the police department that was involved. I'm hoping the family wins and the involved "police officers" face criminal charges. The police knew for a fact that the guy was innocent but fabricated evidence to get a conviction. The guy's lawyer filed for a "stay of execution" but the Governor decided to wait until after the guy was executed to even look at it. After the execution, the Governor read the request and agreed that a "stay of execution" should have been issued and a new trial granted. The request was filed 24 hours prior to the execution but the Governor decided that it wasn't necessary to read it until after the guy was dead..... I'm really looking forward to the crooked fuq spending time in prison (the now former Governor was recently convicted on other criminal charges but unfortunately can't face charges for the death of an innocent man, wrongfully convicted of murder).

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Execution is not a deterrent so on that count it is useless. Life in prison is a massive waste of resources unless you let them starve to death. So yeah, just execute them once all appeals are exhausted ... unless you're Saudi Arabia where you behead them in the middle of the street without trial lol.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The problem is that we're so concerned about "cruel and unusual punishment" that people know it's going to be fast and painless after they spend 20-30 years in prison first. We need to get away from the "cruel and unusual punishment" bull**** and start executing people by the cheapest, most effective means possible (which, coincidentally, is beheadings.....).

This is where things need to go....

Police investigate crimes, collect evidence and make arrests. Prosecutors review evidence, file charges and present evidence. Court hears evidence, determines guilt and determines sentencing (if any). If there was a witness(es) to the crime, or video footage of the crime, the sentence begins immediately. If a death sentence was issued, it happens the next day. If no witness(es) or video footage then a 3rd party, independent investigator reruns the entire investigation to see what, if anything, the police or defense lawyer missed. If the independent investigator comes to the same conclusions as the police, the sentence stands. If the investigator finds evidence to the contrary, a new trial immediately begins. Once the sentence starts, the defense has 10 years maximum to find proof of innocence. If the defense or independent investigator finds any wrong-doing by the police (such as evidence fabrication), the officers immediately stand trial and if/when convicted automatically get the sentence that was originally given to the person that was wrongfully convicted. (So, if police fabricate evidence that results in a death sentence like what happened in my state.....if/when caught/convicted, the officer(s) involved get the death sentence instead.)

13. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    If someone hurt one of my children they're getting the death penalty one way or another.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If life were a video game you could've just made a bounty for some hero to undertake :p

15. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    I was going to post something about the cost of prison. But when we start to measure if one should live or not based on money the error is already made. I think killing is the easy way. Reeducation through work would do a better job, but we're not evolved enough to talk about this.

16. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Woman Is Publicly Beheaded in Saudi Arabia's Tenth Execution of 2015
    https://news.vice.com/article/woman-is-publicly-beheaded-in-saudi-arabias-tenth-execution-of-2015

^ All of this.

Always obviously depending on the circumstances.

17. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    You just didn't need to bring Saudi Arabia to this type of discussion.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Re-education doesn't work for everyone. Some people are just too sick to live in society. Those people need to be completely removed from society. For some people the "scared straight" approach as a deterrent actually works better than "rehabilitation through imprisonment". We, as a society, need to research various methods for "rehabilitation" instead of just assuming that the same method works for everyone.

Those who can be rehabilitated, should be, if they haven't deprived someone else of the right to live. To me, at that point, they should be permanently removed from society. My only exception is child molesters, who I honestly don't believe have the right to live and should be tortured until they finally die.

19. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    These people didnt kill anybody, they're accused of drug offenses. I wouldnt be surprised if murders only got life in prison.

Hmm, good point. Didnt think of it like that.
    My only counter to that would be atleast the family could visit them in prison, rather that just having an early grave to say hello to.

20. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I see it kind of simple, if someone causes a loss then get him/her to pay back by forceful work, if it doesn't work or he/she keeps breaking the law, death sentence, jail is just foolish, I've yet to see someone who gets out of jail being an exemplary citizen, maybe one in a billion, not worth the investment, its just a way to stupidly punish someone