Looking for a new SSD, advices ?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by anticupidon, Apr 27, 2016.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hello gents!
    I want to buy a new SSD, for having a separate system drive for my *Nixes and Linux distros.
    I am a bit overwhelmed about all the low priced incredible offers from all vendors, all i want is a decent, top performance all around winner SSD.
    I want a 250 GB, maybe more for the right price.Budget under 100 euros.
    I have my mind set on SanDisk Extreme PRO 240GB, the 10 year warranty kinda makes me click the buy button.But...
    Just heard that Crucial MX300 is just around the corner.
    Any suggestions ?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I've tried few of them,from 840 EVO to MX100,then MX200 and again to the Sandisk Ultra II and now I'm now on 850 EVO

This one yours chosen Extreme PRO seems are on par with 850 PRO series,regarding Crucial MX series they're budget SSD and they use I think,but MX300 can be better choice than older 100 or 200 series

Really not sure,but if money is no object then Intel or Samsung are most reliable and Sandisk with 10 year warranty is very tempting

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Just get 850 Evo. Great performance at resonable price.

4. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Yes the Evo good price good performance :)

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you're looking at SATA 6.0GB/s drives, the ADATA SP550 has the same performance as the Samsung 850 EVO.... The PNY CS1311 does as well. Both are typically cheaper than the Samsung 850 EVO as well.

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    That's where I landed. My Kingston 240GB runs fantastic but has some odd SMART errors. I grabbed a 500GB Samsung 850 for $150USD yesterday. (I think the 250GB model is $90)

There's really no reason not to get a Samsung now (other than being a cheapskate) since the prices have come down. Aren't they universally considered the most reliable? I have plenty of other SSDs in use that are just as fast (or faster than an EVO), but I'm paying extra hoping my drive lives longer than Brand X (I also have PNY, Kingston, AData SSDs).

I'm not sure how an SSD goes when it dies yet. At least mechanical drives sometimes gave us some warning and opportunity to recover data prior to death.

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I have had three generations of Samsungs: 830, 840 EVO, and 850 EVO. Obviously 840 EVO was a flop with the speed degradation, although it's serving well enough as my laptop's drive, but the other ones have been perfectly fine. I ended up getting a 250GB 850 EVO as my new desktop's system drive. The endurance is much lower than in Pro, but it's still so high I simply can't imagine running out of writes ever. In any case I'm just waiting for the M.2 NVMe SSDs' prices to drop to get one of those. I have another 850 EVO 500GB as a games drive, and it serves excellently in that role.

Unless you are writing like crazy, 850 EVO has quite a splendid cost efficiency.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Someone hinted me about those 10 years warranty from Sandisk
    If in the last 3 years SSD evolved in such a impressive way,offering more,better $/GB ratio, in 10 years that Sandisk will be obsolete, or whatever.
    The 3D V-NAND seems a step up in TLC area, still MLC is what it is.
    But i reckon that Samsung 850 EVO is a strong candidate.
    Any more suggestions?