[TDR] Can't find the cause for sporadic TDR's (post 353.38)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Geicher, Jun 29, 2015.

1. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Try monitoring voltages whilst doing whatever makes it crash and try running with only a single card in the case, just in case it's a power fluctuation related thing. Overclocked 980s can pull in quite a bit of power.

Not sure with that mobo but make sure you've go any 'optional extra' power cables plugged into the mobo too for instance on many Asus motherboards there is an extra 4 pin molex plug to ensure SLI gets enough power.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Geicher

Geicher Member

GPU:
    4x4GB DDR4
    First, thanks for the helpful suggestions :)

I plugged in the 4 Pin Molex a few weeks ago already without any success.

I just came back from university and saw that Unigine Heaven ran for 8 hours without TDR's again. :3eyes:

Will play some Witcher 3 now, I guess there will be at least one TDR again.

Interestingly you barely see the TDR's in Witcher 3 because the screen recovers almost instantly and you can continue to play.

I assume there are more people with this problem but they don't notice it and don't look into the Windows Event Viewer...

3. Geicher

Geicher Member

GPU:
    4x4GB DDR4
    Yep got a TDR in Witcher 3 within 30 minutes of playing.

And yes I didn't even notice the TDR while playing but then suddenly I found a Error 4101 message in my event viewer...

Really strange

4. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Just a thought but it is possible your PSU might be right on the borderline for running an SLI setup, most reviews I read say either 750w or 850w for 980's (reference cards). EVGA SuperNova G2 750W are good psu's but the inconsistent TDR's might be related your factory OC'd cards drawing a bit more than a reference 980 sli setup.

[Edit]: Also I was getting quite a few TDR's recently. Decided to switch my cards in their slots and found out my #2 card was bad (artifacts). Put in a spare card, artifacts disappeared and have not had a single "display driver stopped responding" error for the past 2 days using the 353.38 drivers. Currently processing my RMA on the bad card.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

5. Geicher

Geicher Member

GPU:
    4x4GB DDR4
    No, first of all TDR's happening with one card only too, and secondly the power usage is around 500W in Unigine Heaven.

6. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I still say trying using different ram or one ram stick at time to see if still happens and possible different mobo to rule out ram and mobo issue. could try swaping positions of the cards in the system to see if the tdr still happen on same card too or if it now happen on the other card, and if it happen on the other card you got your answer on what is causing it.

Like i said i had similar problem on one of my builds and they all went away when I rma the mobo for new mobo that had obvious issue and change out the ram ( which according to memtest had no faults). just cause it not obvious and improbable there is fault some where in the board or ram dont mean it cant happen tech is good like that.

dont get me wrong doing this all can be royal pain the ass, but some time it worth it, if not to just rule out what is the cause.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  8. Geicher

Geicher Member

GPU:
    4x4GB DDR4
    Thanks for the answers guys :)

Quick Update:

I had the chance to get a GTX 670 and installed the card and suddenly all TDR's gone away.

I can play TW3 for hours without TDR's.

Since I RMA'd the 980's multiple times, I assume those cards or the drivers are just unstable in general...

At this point I really don't even know what to do else since I literally tried everything now...

If you have any ideas, please let me know :)

9. Franz

Franz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970 Windforce OC
    i had several crashes with my gtx 970 in Warframe and changed physx at standard to my card. (not auto!). after this i have had much less crashes. now not every view hours, now every view days with newest driver. and physx in game looks other (better).

10. Blacknach

Blacknach Member

GPU:
    2xhis/gigabyte 4870 512mb
    I´m having tdrs in project cars with 153.38 when i go to menu after play a practice or a race, never playing, i´m 1500 7800 overclock in my 980g1, when i put vsync on no more tdr. Thinking that the problem is the high climb of fps when i go to menu 500 1000 spikes. Testing more at the moment, no tdr in the witcher 3 and batman Knight, need to test that games more hours to confirm that no tdr in it.