Dead HDD's

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by lazysunday, Apr 10, 2012.

1. lazysunday

lazysunday Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 HD SC 1280mb
    I have a couple of hdd's that i fried when building my first computer :(.... I know "dumbass"

Anyway iwas wondering does anyone know iif i could repair them or are they just garbage now?

Not much point trying to rma them i dont think because ill probably have to fork out shipping and handling costs.

cheers

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Depends on their state.
    Are they recognised by the BIOS on boot?

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

How did you manage to 'fry' then? they won't show in Windows Explorer etc unless they are initialised and assigned a drive letter.

If the drives info (data if any, partition information etc) on the drive is corrupt, you could run the 'clean all' command in diskpart and try reinitialising it in the Windows partition manager. Be very careful you select the right drive though, 'clean all' literally wipes all data on the drive!

To check if the drives are initialised (and if not, how to initialise it):
    - Click start
    - In the search box type diskmgmt.msc
    - Once the console opens, it should ask you to initialise the disk if it hasn't already. You most likely want to select 'MBR'.
    - In the list of drives, select the drive in question (it will be marked by a big block of 'unallocated' space, right click, and select to create a partition. Create a partition with the desired size (leave it to just make one partition that fills the whole drive).
    - Right click, and select the drive letter option
    - Once a letter is allocated, format the drive :)

(all new OEM drives should come uninitialised from the shop).

If you already know all that stuff, and know the drive appears stuffed, try the following:
    - Click start, and in the search box type diskpart
    - Type list disk
    - A list of drives will show. The 'free' column is unallocated (to a partition) space size, NOT the actual free space on the drive. There may be a few megabytes of unallocated space on some drives (if you leave them all connected), this is normal.
    - The drive may already have allocated space on it. Its wise to disconnect all drives except for your system drive, so it limits the chance of selecting the wrong drive (not a requirement, just a suggestion. This should be done before running diskpart of course!)
    - Select the drive in question by typing select disk x (where x is the drive number)
    - Type list partition to check that you have selected the correct disk!
    - Type clean all This will quite literally zero every sector of the drive, including the partition info area etc. It returns the drive to a fully uninitialised state. This can take several hours and there is no progress indicator, it just looks like it is doing nothing. This is normal, let it do its thing, it will eventually finish! (like I said, can take several hours depending on the size of the drive)
    - Once done type exit
    - Progress through the instructions above for diskmgmt.msc (Windows Disk Management). That can also be done through diskpart, but its easier with the Disk Management.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    fried hdds ?
    i mean,you connect them and then nothing happens ?¿
    first suspects are TVS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient-voltage-suppression_diode
    it looks like that
    [​IMG]
    i know sounds stupid ,but if you remove them the hdd will start and will function,the only thing that it will be very sensible to any voltage spike.if you have the skills,find a replacement and solder them back ...
    then you can use the good tips thatguy91 offered you.
    cheers !