Windows 8 / 8.1 Scaling (GPU / Display)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by lime, Feb 17, 2014.

1. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Ya, and I wonder that, did scaling by GPU is much faster than scaling by screen?
    I think that the screen might need to delay the frame to next vsync, just because it need to be scaling?

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Never had any trouble here in win8 or 8.1, mine always defaults to display @ default.

This with 332.59 cuda driver atm
    [​IMG]

@ OP
    reinstall the driver, clean install?

3. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Not having "Display" as a scaling target is an issue with EDID or driver. On my laptop right now, it only has GPU scaling since a laptop's LCD panel consists of only the backlight, the layers that makeup an LCD, and the Flat-Panel Display Link (ribbon cable).

So in other words, no scaling technology behind the panel. GPU needed for that. This is where something is failing on that monitor or in the driver. Take a deep breath, clean reinstall the driver like TJ said, and hopefully profit. Otherwise, your monitor is to blame.

Btw, if you care about input delay, native resolution, "no scaling" and "display" provides the quickest scaling. Choosing anything other than no scaling (or a custom resolution) calls upon the GPU to help the display with scaling.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  4. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Its the combo of monitor + windows 8. As i said i have the same monitor as the OP and having Display option in windows 7.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Thanks, I knew there was something but I forgot the right setting. :)

Atm Im using downsampling and I think it won't work with no scaling or will it?

6. Kaepora

Kaepora Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460
    This is gonna be a huge bump, but did u manage to fix your problem? i still have the same and im on the lastest WHQL drivers :/

7. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Nvidia removed this option like so many others, because apparently we arent worthwhile keeping good options for.

8. Kaepora

Kaepora Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460
    Works with the same driver in windows 7 tho :/

9. smokeyjon

smokeyjon Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked
    As CalinTM stated the root cause is likely the monitor driver or EDID, not the nVidia driver or the OS in and of itself. Running Win 8.1 + latest WHQL:

[​IMG]

If you have an HDMI cable laying around you might want to give that a try vs. DVI for ****s and giggles, although I am using DVI on my setup with no issues.

10. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    It has worked for me before with the same monitor. Hdmi doesnt support high frequencies for gaming afaik.

11. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Since when is he your friend?

12. sprocketgearzz

sprocketgearzz Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 660 2GB DDR5
    in windows 8.1 its only GPU scaling with dual link DVI

13. lenix

lenix Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Be aware that the scaling settings only affect older games that do not understand your monitors native resolution.

So who cares?

I only get GPU scaling on my VG248QE (DVI Dual-link)

14. Ozkar

Ozkar Member

GPU:
    asus dcuii gtx670
    same problem here.... "Display" option is not available and i'm suffering an enormous input lag since I switched to Windows 8.1 Pro x64 from Windows 7 x64 (clean UEFI full install)

Any chance to mod my screen EDID? or maybe tweaking some bits in the bios of my vga card... Maybe it is just a Gk104 (KEPLER) + Windows 8.1 Problem

I don't know what to do..

GTX 670 + windows 8.1 pro x64 (full uefi setup). Tried also in legacy mode.

Screen: LG W2363D-PF @ dvi dual link (120 Hz, 3D compatible). Tried different 3xx.xx drivers and no one gives me the option to choose "No Scaling"-"Display" (it is only shown "GPU")

I've also tried to flash my ASUS GTX 670 DC2 TOP with GOP/UEFI compatible bios but it doesn't seem to help.

So, my case is very very similar as #1: there wasn't input lag in my prior W7x64 setup at all. The only thing that I've managed to get to work is the Fastboot utility that comes with my Mobo (win 8.1 on in about 4 secs
    thanks

---

err... edit:

I also tried injecting 3 different .INF files (3 differente monitor drivers):
    1- Pnp Generic w8.1 driver
    2- Latest official driver (date= 2010)
    3- A modded unsigned driver I found in monitor enthusiast forums (2012)

...and I got the same results. "Display" was not available either.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  15. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    yes there was a post in the nvidia surround on how to duplicate youre monitor inf edid and then go to device manager if using a different monitor for dual setup's etc and get device manager to install youre other monitor wit that edid tricking the system to thinking you have two monitors the same to use dual monitor surround etc. So im sure that program can do it just cant remember the programs name !

16. Ozkar

Ozkar Member

GPU:
    asus dcuii gtx670
    News about that?

Same situation with windows 10 x64 US edition and LAST drivers by nvidia. Scaling by Display remains disappeared.

Last time when I posted about this problem with Windows 8.1 x64, I finally went back to Windows 7. 3 days ago I decided to give a try to Windows 10.

My system remains the same.

Users with newer cards state that they can choose between Scaling by GPU or Display (confirmed with windows 8.1 and it seems the same with windows 10)

Please,
    answers?

Maybe is just matter of tweaking some values at Nvidia Inspector or Regedit. I don't know

17. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I've had mine get disabled a few times... usually doing a complete Clean Install of the driver fixes it.

18. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Seems benq monitors don't have scaling on display on windows 8, while they do in win 7.

19. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    If you are trying to force non-GPU scaling just to remove input lag, then don't bother. This kind of thing doesn't affect newish monitors as they do it in real-time. I'm sure there was a post on Blur Busters some time ago about this and they found there was no tangible difference in input lag.

20. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Url?